This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Misleading advertisements...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Misleading advertisements...
    Posted: 21 Jan 2024 at 7:27pm
So, many of you may be old enough to remember the photo of Charles Atlas pulling a PRR railcar:
Atlas Pulls a Train

FORD has decided to try to pull the same stunt over a new generation with this advertisement video:

In the video, they pull a bunch of railcars with their new F150 Lightning electric pickup truck. 

For you that have never seen this gag before, it plays upon people who really don't have a clue about the physics of a railcar, and they reinforce it by having a bunch of guys there to observe.

They pull these railcars with the truck, and everyone is amazed... and the joke is on you...

The amount of force it takes to move those railcars, on a straight and level track, is incredibly small.   If there's no curves, no switches, and no grade, my '02 Camry will pull 'em just as well.

When I was teaching at railways, we'd hand-push a 3-car consist of 180,000lb passenger cars in and out of the shop several times a day.

Notice the tow strap they use... it's an ordinary strap.  Only needs to have about 1500lbs of tensile strength to do this demonstration, as they're not accellerating very hard (that would break the truck).   Just give it a little and be patient.

Edited by DaveKamp - 21 Jan 2024 at 7:32pm
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Sponsored Links

DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2024 at 7:34pm
For what it's worth, one of the places I taught, was at the Long Island Railroad's Sunnyside yard.  When I was there, this photo was posted on the shop walls, where we were pushing them in and out every day.  It was the 'house joke', because this is where the photo'd stunt was performed.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Les Kerf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Kerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2024 at 7:55pm
I remember the Charles Atlas advertisements well Smile
When I worked in sawmills we filled rail cars with wood chips; the chip car tenders had pry bars that they used to get those loaded cars moving, then they could push them along. They did need to ensure that no debris was on the tracks.

im4racin View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote im4racin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2024 at 8:00pm
Be careful! AC used a 7k series to pull a train in there advertising too!
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2024 at 9:26pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2024 at 9:50pm
Allis's advertisement didn't make any silly claims about how 'never done before' or 'no other has done it', nor did they imply that it was any significant feat... but notice that the 7080 is DRIVING ON THE TIES... and furthermore, pulling it's consist around a curve, on some single-track, not in a level railyard.

The F150 Lightning advertisement is very intentionally misleading, and that's all there is to it.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2024 at 10:26pm
well........... its not like the FIRST time a company has stretched the truth on the TV !!

Darwin W. Kurtz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darwin W. Kurtz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2024 at 10:30pm
I remember the Like a Rock Chevy truck commercials......seems like they tried to move a boulder or a mountain or something like that
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2024 at 7:08am
... so what is "misleading"?
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2024 at 7:16am
But if you see it on TV, backed up by the internet, (which is full of experts) it must be true.
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2024 at 7:44am
Remember GM plowing with the new square body 4x4??? I think was 3 furrow plow maybe. So many of these ads meant to be misleading. LOL. SmileSmile
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2024 at 8:05am
im with WF... NOTHING miss leading about it.  They SHOW it pulling a train car.. I did that.. Not photo shopped. ......... If you dont understand HOW that happens, its not their fault.
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2024 at 9:17am
As a boy seen many a railroad car, (mostly flat and at most three) shoved into a manufacturing plant by hand in south St. Louis crossing a busy city street. Once you get them moving, they keep going easily if flat and straight rails.
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2024 at 10:33am
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

im with WF... NOTHING miss leading about it.  They SHOW it pulling a train car.. I did that.. Not photo shopped. ......... If you dont understand HOW that happens, its not their fault.

Yes, that's called 'playing on one's ignorance', and in doing so, the company insults the intelligence of those who DO understand basic physics, and in doing so, they seriously discredit their brand..

Listen to the dialogue... listen to what she says.  It is very clear.

Dodge didn't make The Dukes of Hazzard, and when Bo and Luke were shown flying the 120ish like-painted Satellite/Challengers to (what was clearly) destruction, you couldn't go to your local Chrysler/Plymouth/Dodge and BUY one... the closest you could get... was This:

All 110hp of it... and Daisy would NOT be willing to sit in the back seat LOL
Of course, with a hair-dryer shoved under the hood, it could manage 0-50 in 5.5 seconds...

And they said 0-50... because at that time, going to 60 would be breaking the law...
(yes, they mandated that EVERY SPEEDOMETER read to 85mph... and not an ounce more.  They also advertised '37 Est highway/24 EPA es. mpg"... and my personal experience was that, on the absolute best day, with a tailwind, tires pumped up hard... and using a feather on the foot-feed, that it's lesser-fancy sibling could get 26, mebbie 27 on the highway, and around 18 in town.... but that's 'epa' friendly numbers, right?

Edited by DaveKamp - 22 Jan 2024 at 10:37am
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2024 at 11:07am
Had a lot of the 2.2, and 2.5ltr four cylinder engines and damned reliable for me. My 1989 Dodge Spirit with a 2.5ltr turbocharged engine ran 399,577 miles before getting stuck in a snow bank and the inexperienced driver destroyed the automatic transmission. I had sold that car at 395,000 and some change to a good customer's new driver daughter as the law of averages.....

That car was rated a bonafide piece of shi* by most of the magazines of the day and I always got 25mpg or better with it over 270K miles I owned it. Not once did it let me down someplace unable to drive home.

I purchased it as a non running bank repo with a dragged off exhaust. After installing a Mopar Performance computer, and Borla exhaust system, all I did was drive it like it was stolen. Once finding out how bad it "torque steered" under hard acceleration, a "Torsen" differential took care of most of that.

Did not burn, or leak oil when sold either.

Going back to those "Like a Rock" Chevrolet commercials I lost interest just as soon as seeing "air" under all six tires of a brand new one ton being bounced around so hard. Like the average guy is going to do that and trust something ain't gonna get *d up in doing so.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic