This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

new electric heater,,,,,,,?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new electric heater,,,,,,,?
    Posted: 16 Jan 2024 at 12:57pm

Well, the old electric heater by my lathe in my garage has just about put out all the "heat" it is going to for this season,,,, It is a 115 volt, 1200 watt that when new ,,,,(a few years ago),, would do good for that small area.
 I see where Walmart now carries 1500 watt heaters from quartz to 3-4 other kinds of "heat" and am curious which of the newer kinda of "heat"would be more efficient,,??
 TIA,,Clap
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2024 at 1:52pm
NO !!!!!

Buy the cheapest or whatever fits the  space.
A 1500 watt heater is a 1500 watt heater,it don't matter what 'they' say..

Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2024 at 2:35pm
Jjay is right... ELECTRICITY is not MAGIC... 1500 watts is 1500 WATTS.. they are ALL 100% EFFICIENT..... Old Milk House Heater designs are normally the CHEAPEST !!

I think they all have a small fan inside.. but if it is only RADIANT, skip and go with the little fan unit.

Edited by steve(ill) - 16 Jan 2024 at 2:36pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2024 at 2:42pm
The "ceramic" heater is a couple bucks cheaper.. But i prefer the OLD RELIABLE heating elements and the tough steel body design of the milk house heater..

desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2024 at 3:24pm

Hey Steve,,,,,is that heater from Walmart?
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2024 at 3:30pm
Hay , I got a REAL 'milkhouse heater ' here ! 2 prong bakelite plug, twisted cotton covered cord,no fan, no stat,no fallover safety...heats up and stinks AND it was Made in Canada, a coon's age ago.
Waay too neat to toss, too dangerous to use......

Jay

desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2024 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

Hay , I got a REAL 'milkhouse heater ' here ! 2 prong bakelite plug, twisted cotton covered cord,no fan, no stat,no fallover safety...heats up and stinks AND it was Made in Canada, a coon's age ago.
Waay too neat to toss, too dangerous to use......

Jay

Hey Jay,,,as long as it keeps the cows from getting cold,,it be OK,,,,,,,LOL
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2024 at 4:21pm
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2024 at 4:33pm
I have 3 of them milkhouse heaters in storage above the garage, I get them at auctions during hot weather.  Scarcely ever pay more than $2 for them...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2024 at 6:09pm
Electric heaters take electricity, and convert it into heat... 1kw in yields 3412 BTU.

You can pay extra for 'radiant', or "Oil Filled" or 'infrared, or 'ceramic' or 'digital' or "Quartz"...

The circumstance is still the same- a power plant somewhere pushes power through wiring into your house, where it goes through a plug and wires into a resistor which gets hot.

Mathematically, it is ALMOST 100% efficient... well... mebbie 90% efficient...

Because a resistive load like this is typically one of the highest loads in terms of current flow and duty cycle, that the wiring leading UP TO the heater is usually well-loaded, and generates heat along the way.  Some of that load occurs OUTSIDE your house, which means it's still generating heat... but it's not doing you any good out there...

But if you're trying to keep your lathe warm, it's better than nothing...

But the end result is, all those other types are doing the same thing, but at higher prices on account of bein' 'new and improved'.  So, the MOST EXPENSIVE is actually the 'most efficient'... at generating income for the retail path.  Providing heat?  no different.

Hey... why don't cha do this: 
Plug that heater into a different outlet somewhere else, and try it.  if it works, replace the receptacle in the shop, and plug your heater back in.

Also- feel the cord- is it warm?  how 'bout the plug?  If the plug is warm, cut it off, put on a new plug.

There isn't much to go wrong in a resistive heater, aside from the resistive element corroding away...  it's usually nichrome wire wrapped around a ceramic form...

By the way- an expert in his own mind told me once that all electricity is red, and it flows better through red wires... and he proved it by turning on a heater and pointing out that as soon as electricity started flowing, you could see it through the wires... Wink

Edited by DaveKamp - 16 Jan 2024 at 6:13pm
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2024 at 6:23pm

Wel,,Dave,,,,they ain't doing No One any good up in your storage,,,By the way,,,,I'll let you Hhhhhhhm I'll let you double,,shoot maybe even quadruple your profit on  a couple of them heaters you got hid out,,,,
 OH,,,,al right,,I'll sweeten the pot,,I'll throw in a sixer of Black Label and a half pint of Old Crow,,,,,,LOLLOLl
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2024 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by DaveKamp DaveKamp wrote:

Electric heaters take electricity, and convert it into heat... 1kw in yields 3412 BTU.

You can pay extra for 'radiant', or "Oil Filled" or 'infrared, or 'ceramic' or 'digital' or "Quartz"...

The circumstance is still the same- a power plant somewhere pushes power through wiring into your house, where it goes through a plug and wires into a resistor which gets hot.

Mathematically, it is ALMOST 100% efficient... well... mebbie 90% efficient...

Because a resistive load like this is typically one of the highest loads in terms of current flow and duty cycle, that the wiring leading UP TO the heater is usually well-loaded, and generates heat along the way.  Some of that load occurs OUTSIDE your house, which means it's still generating heat... but it's not doing you any good out there...

But if you're trying to keep your lathe warm, it's better than nothing...

But the end result is, all those other types are doing the same thing, but at higher prices on account of bein' 'new and improved'.  So, the MOST EXPENSIVE is actually the 'most efficient'... at generating income for the retail path.  Providing heat?  no different.

Hey... why don't cha do this: 
Plug that heater into a different outlet somewhere else, and try it.  if it works, replace the receptacle in the shop, and plug your heater back in.

Also- feel the cord- is it warm?  how 'bout the plug?  If the plug is warm, cut it off, put on a new plug.

There isn't much to go wrong in a resistive heater, aside from the resistive element corroding away...  it's usually nichrome wire wrapped around a ceramic form...

By the way- an expert in his own mind told me once that all electricity is red, and it flows better through red wires... and he proved it by turning on a heater and pointing out that as soon as electricity started flowing, you could see it through the wires... Wink

Geez weren’t you paying attention? The ceramic one is cheaper   

Edited by Tbone95 - 16 Jan 2024 at 6:37pm
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2024 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by DiyDave DiyDave wrote:

I have 3 of them milkhouse heaters in storage above the garage, I get them at auctions during hot weather.  Scarcely ever pay more than $2 for them...Wink

Hell, Joe, I'd GIVE you one, if you pay shipping, but that'd prolly be more than the cost of a new one from wallyworld.  If you want 'em cheaper, wait for a yard sale or auction, in your locale.  Ain't catch 22 a real bugger?LOL
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2024 at 9:11pm

AW, Dave,,,I was just joshing you as I had never heard about them kind of heaters,,,WinkWink
 Actually I ordered the one this morning  that Steve had sent me a link to,,,Clap just 24 bucks and free shipping,,,,Clap
 Thanks for the offer, Dave,,,,,Clap
BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2024 at 7:08am
I would get one of the oil filled heaters. Lower surface temperature,
less likely to start a fire. A heater with glowing wires can light up a 
stray newspaper or the tap drill chart by your lathe, if the thumb tacks
let it drop. And what about curious cats tossing stuff.
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2024 at 7:48am
I installed a 3ph 15JC Onan air cooled generator onto my son in laws garage/shop and the cooling air can be, and is ducted into the shop to supplement the warming during the colder months. I have a Honeywell "Modutrol" motor and a set of operating shutters to incorporate during the summer months next year to eliminate the mechanical levers now pulled to operate "flaps" allowing the air to flow as desired. It works well but the little generator is mounted outside of the shop in an enclosure so the bulk of the operating noise is muffled substantially. Slight positive pressure in the workspace is also a byproduct as there is no sidewall venting. During the summer when heating is not needed, the flaps are position changed to not allow discharged cooling air into the shop but rather out the back wall of the enclosure. Inlet air comes through a vented door of this enclosure at all times.

And yes, there is a CO monitor installed in the shop as a "just in case" but it's never went off from exhaust leakage. This was tested during conception of the idea.
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
DonBC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2024 at 7:24pm
Space heaters primarily heat the space by heating the air which then heats the objects (you) in the space. Radiant heaters heat the objects in the space. If you are one of those objects you get warm quickly.
Jack of all trades, master of none
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2024 at 5:22pm
I KNOW the thermostat in the garage will keep the damn county HOT  if I leave the door open ! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Even when set to OFF grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

OK, I finally read the microfont instructions and back on page 22 it says there's a 'safety feature' that will turn the furnace on in case the house gets too cold,or you turned the stat off.

So to outsmart the smart thermostat I had to wire a door switch to KILL power to the furnace.

Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2024 at 10:26pm

OK, I finally read the microfont instructions
I LOVE it Jay!!  What a perfect description of that!! Clap Sometimes I've gotta get a magnifying glass out to read the crap. Angry Ouch  I used to think it was just my eyes gettin bad.Confused
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2024 at 6:34am
Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

Where did you get that?  meaning... in comparison to what?  An oil-filled, or oscillating quartz radiant?  Of course...   a simple nichrome resistive - certainly not.

A semi-resistive ceramic element has an interesting and useful characteristic that as it warms, it's resistance curve rises up considerably, causing it's current flow to 'fold back' at some particular point.  A nichrome wire does A LITTLE, but not to a significant amount...

But the cheapest by far is a nichrome wire element.  They're all just resistors, the rest is just glitz and garbage.

Edited by DaveKamp - 19 Jan 2024 at 6:38am
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2024 at 6:43am
Originally posted by Codger Codger wrote:

I installed a 3ph 15JC Onan air cooled generator onto my son in laws garage/shop and the cooling air can be, and is ducted into the shop to supplement the warming during the colder months.

My generators are all liquid-cooled, I have them fitted with heat exchangers so I can flow waste heat into the concrete floors in my south porch, basement, garage, workshop, henhouse floor, and the south patio (to melt ice), as well as through heat exchangers in my downstairs and upstairs air handlers.  If there's ONE way to improve the fuel efficiency of an emergency generator in the wintertime, it is to recapture the waste heat and use it to offset what one would have otherwise obtained by burning fuel in a furnace.

Most of my power outage time is covered by my smallest 'main' generator... a Kohler 6.5R22, which burns about a gal propane per hour under a low demand.  That's 91,400btu, and about 18 percent of that (3492btu, or 1kw/hr) actually comes out of the generator as continuous-duty electricity.  The rest (88,000btu) is turned into either noise or heat... at least 65,000 is waste heat... which won't all be captured, but it's better than 40kbtu recaptured, and that goes a long way.

Edited by DaveKamp - 19 Jan 2024 at 6:49am
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2024 at 7:00am
gee Dave , dumb idea as I sit here waiting for silly kitty to come back in....

Could you put a 'turbo unit' into the exhaust piping to spin a small generator ? I know not a lot of pressure and kinda hot, BUT that 'force of energy'( wind ) is there !
Now when you've worked out the kinks, patented it, made your zillions, please remember me !

DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2024 at 7:20am

gee Dave , dumb idea as I sit here waiting for silly kitty to come back in....

Could you put a 'turbo unit' into the exhaust piping to spin a small generator ? I know not a lot of pressure and kinda hot, BUT that 'force of energy'( wind ) is there !
Now when you've worked out the kinks, patented it, made your zillions, please remember me !

ON the 6.5R22?  Well, at 1kw out, it's generating VERY LITTLE exhaust gas pressure.  It's a flathead four, 60ci...

The cool thing about the Kohler, is that I can pull off the standard exhaust manifold, and bolt on one from a MARINE genset, which is a liquid cooled log....  fitting a turbo to it wouldn't work so well, but it sure does make for a convenient way to extract even more waste heat.   The big generator is spun by a Hercules JXLD... that's 338ci of inline six, and the JXLD was popular in marinized form, Chris-Craft and Nordberg made water-cooled manifolds, of which I have a couple for same purpose.

Seein's how these engines are already coupled to generators, putting a generator on an exhaust turbine section seems a bit superfluous... but from a design perspective, there's some issues that would make it problematic.

And I apologize for derailing Joe's original topic, but I know that somewhere, way south of me, where cold temperatures simply don't exist (compared to everyone from my doorstep to Jay's)... there's a chuckle coming from Joe's jaw over this stuff...

First being that a common turbocharger turbine is a centrifugal device, it is a small diameter, which means it MUST spin fast.  An electric generator has a spinning magnetic field amidst wires, and as a result, the wires have to be able to change polarity at whatever rotational speed the stator/rotor relationship brings to bear.  In a 20,000+ turbine, there's not much time for windings to change polarity, so they'd hafta be very (physically) short windings, so they won't be generating much voltage or current... and as speed increased, the output would fall to nothing (this is exactly how a shunt-regulated permanent magnet alternator in a motorcycle or outboard motor keeps from burning up... )

And then you got this generator parked an inch away from a red-hot piece of cast iron...

And the saving grace is, that at 1800rpm, the little Kohler L600 just isn't pushing enough exhaust gas pressure to do any turbo-grade work...

But don't worry Jay- I won't forget you, nor your Kitchener Fusiliers and their Black Watch brethren.  Next time the company sends me up to your side of the Poutine Curtain, I'll stop by and shake yer paw. Wink

Edited by DaveKamp - 19 Jan 2024 at 7:23am
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2024 at 7:44am
sniff,sniff... well there goes another 'million buck' idea......waaaaWink

hmm, maybe I should ask the guv for a HUGE 'grant' for a 'fesabilty study' !!!

oh well, at least  kitty's in the house  !

dang, now I'm thinking about magnets and wondering WHY they don't lose their energy when stuck to the fridge ?

only 60 days until Spring !!

Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2024 at 7:53am
Originally posted by DaveKamp DaveKamp wrote:

Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

Where did you get that?  meaning... in comparison to what?  An oil-filled, or oscillating quartz radiant?  Of course...   a simple nichrome resistive - certainly not.

A semi-resistive ceramic element has an interesting and useful characteristic that as it warms, it's resistance curve rises up considerably, causing it's current flow to 'fold back' at some particular point.  A nichrome wire does A LITTLE, but not to a significant amount...

But the cheapest by far is a nichrome wire element.  They're all just resistors, the rest is just glitz and garbage.

Steve Ill’s post!

All the techno-explanation in the world doesn’t always overcome what a supplier will sell something for.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2024 at 11:14pm
The 'Kissair'??

I don't consider it's price of 63 cents less to be 'several dollars cheaper'...
nor is it a fiscal magnitude worthy of concern.  A significant margin of difference would be a predictable regularity of at least 15%.  A nichrome element is historically much cheaper to make... my bet is that the makers of the nichrome heater based their price on what the ceramic-element units were price-pointing, rather than some number commensurate to the true COST of manufacture... so buy whatever.

Edited by DaveKamp - 19 Jan 2024 at 11:31pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2024 at 6:59am
wow, anyone READ the 'specs' for that unit ???
At top right , ad hype says 950 / 1500 watts yet in the 'specs section', lower left ,750 watts !!!!!

One HUGE problem 'ceramic' units have is it only takes a day or two of floating crap in the air to plug up the itty bitty passages the air has to flow through ! When it don't, it overheats and blows the one time only $10 thermal fuse !

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2024 at 8:25am
Tbones comment was that you could buy a Ceramic Heater at Wal Mart for $20. compared to the Resistance heater at $24... SO YES, He is RIGHT.....when  "on sale" the cheapest heater they had was Ceramic... If you look at the specs it is about half the size of the Resistance heater and not as heavy duty built.... BUTT today IT IS THE CHEAPEST.

"NORMALLY" a resistance "MILK HOUSE HEATER" will be the cheapest heater you can buy, and they are Simple, Well Built, Cheap, and Easy to fix if something happens.  That is what i would recommend in a SHOP or out in the Pump house.

Edited by steve(ill) - 20 Jan 2024 at 8:26am
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2024 at 9:00am

Too much !
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic