This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

speedometer cable parts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: speedometer cable parts
    Posted: 15 Jan 2024 at 7:17pm
anyone know were to get the short piece of speedometer cable that goes between the gearbox and drivegear about 1 1/4 long round with tang  on one  end and square on the other i need one for a automatic to manual swap on a 79 chev that we are doing .  anyone even deal in speedo cable stuff any more i used to buy this stuff from a local heavey truck shop they had assortment to build new cables or change gears in the little gear box if you changed rear end ratios , but times are changeing mechanical any thing is about gone 
Sponsored Links

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2024 at 10:15pm
Look up repair shop for automotive instruments . 
Still some around that do mechanical driven items though most are now electronic . 
Can try under Smith Instrument repair services as Smith made instruments for many British manufactures and Motorcycle mfg. 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
only AC orange View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote only AC orange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2024 at 8:51am
Check with Haim Zeevie in southern Fl., he has Star Speedometer repair.
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2024 at 10:42pm
i will check a few of these places cuase someone in china is making tach cables for your vintage tractors
Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2024 at 9:01pm
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2024 at 10:10pm
NAPA has a universal speedo cable that has always worked for me. I've got one in a tach drive on an 8n ford as we speak. Has an assortment of diff ends that crimp on after ya cut it to length.
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2024 at 6:09pm
walker what is your part number? so i can keep it for a refrence?   i had my customer look for that little piece and he bought two of them for 25.00 aech from summit racing
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2024 at 11:33pm
Originally posted by HudCo HudCo wrote:

walker what is your part number? so i can keep it for a refrence?   i had my customer look for that little piece and he bought two of them for 25.00 aech from summit racing
                Just now found your reply, sorry about delay. I never used the part number, always just walked in and told em universal speedo cable. I've used them in anything oddball and they've never failed me. Got both speedo and tach cable in my old Triumph mc now too and they've both been in there since the 70's. Last one I bought probably ten years ago cost around 5$ but in the era of Biden you might want to triple that.

Edited by Walker - 23 Jan 2024 at 11:38pm
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2024 at 6:36am
Star Speedometer has the right stuff and will make the right cable to the length you say
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic