This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rust, sweating in a stick build shed.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rust, sweating in a stick build shed.
    Posted: 14 Jan 2024 at 9:10pm
How to keep stuff stored in a simple type "tuff-sheds" from rusting (inexpensively)?
My experience is cold steel meets a warm moist front
and the equipment sweats. And rusts, and paper manuals get damp and moldy.
Happens on a weekly cycle, all winter. Only "good" time is a during 2 week freeze.
Here sheds are not taxed or permitted if 144 sq feet or less. So I figure 10x14
sheds would fit my 40hp class tractors. Need 8ft wide door.

This is bugging me; however, I also don't want another perpetual bill just for heating storage sheds. Please, I bet someone here knows the right approach.

Sponsored Links

SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2024 at 9:14pm
I believe the only way is to keep everything warm enough it don't draw moisture. I can't imagine you could control the humidity enough to prevent the "draw".
fjdrill View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fjdrill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2024 at 9:31pm
20' container 
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2024 at 9:35pm
container is solid steel... sweat worse than stick built shed.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2024 at 10:50pm
I could TRY to air seal the shed up like a tupperware bin.
Don't know how to, practically speaking. Assuming I 
could, would a massive amount of desiccant work out?
Probably not, I tried on small scale with plastic bins
and dessicant including rock salt and silica. Rock salt doesn't 
suck enough, silica needs heating out often, like every month.

Typical dehumidifiers don't work when cold, they freeze up.
There are desiccant type dehumidifiers which are rated for lower temps.
I never owned one. But maybe that would be the way to go.
I don't care if it gets ice cold in there, just want no rust.

I was told keeping the temp 7 degrees above the dew point prevents
sweating. If that would prevent rust, I don't know. Would need a fancy weather based thermostat. Supposedly fans prevent sweating, but I don't think that is guaranteed. I doubt that will stop rust.

Insulating the shed would be expensive, but then I still have a heating bill,
although less as you spend more on sealing and insulating.
I think $290 per year with electric heat and dehumidification.
Hard to calculate. I extrapolated from my propane heated
430 sq ft spray foamed shop.

A headache, there is much I do not know.

DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2024 at 3:39am
We got a bunch of 20 ft containers at work - some air tight - none sweat
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2024 at 4:42am
Vapor barrier on the ground,  and closed cell spray on insulation under the roof (for that matter, the whole thing)...Wink

Edited by DiyDave - 15 Jan 2024 at 4:42am
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
fjdrill View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fjdrill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2024 at 7:23am
Never seen a container sweat.  

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2024 at 7:43am
don't close up the shed !!!
you need air flow.
All 4 of my D-14s had their own 9x12, 2 walled ,steel roofed shed.NEVER ever had humdidity problems, in 10 years.... never had vermin in there either....
didn't matter time of year, hot,cold,snow, rain,...no 'moisture' problems....
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2024 at 8:17am
Ventilation is your friend.
If not going to be heated, you need vents near the roof top, or better yet on the roof, and some down low near the floor.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2024 at 8:36am
I think there are two problems here... one is a steel roof SWEATING because of stagnant air, no vents in the building.. As said, if you exchange the air, the INSIDE air is the same as the OUTSIDE air with respect to temp and humidity... and therefor no sweat..

I think the problem in NY is he has a high humidity all the time... and the TRACTOR a stable temp due to its mass..... then the temp drops 20- 30 degrees at night and EVERYTHING starts to sweat... IF you exchange the air with vents, you still have the MASS of the tractor at one temp and the surrounding air is COOLER over a few hours.. Think of a glass of ice tea, setting on the table.. Within a few minutes it starts to sweat.. You could turn on a fan, etc... and it still sweats.

The only way to stop this is to maintain the AIR in the building at the same temp of the tractor.. or have a suggnificant drop in HUMIDITY in the room ( dehumidifier) as the air temp drops... Because the TRACTOR is going to stay stable.

I have a big open shed in Illinois , open sides, and it works great... There was one time several years ago when the steel roof and EVERY tractor was sweating on cold day in November.... i think it was VERY HUMID and warm for several days  and the temp dropped 30 degrees overhight.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2024 at 8:43am
Good advice on previous posts. Vapor barrier on the ground, insulation and good ventilation. We used a lot of shipping containers in the military and did not have a moisture problem. I have seen people put tarps that went all the way to the ground over tractors, riding mowers, etc. to protect them from the weather and the moisture and rust was ten times worse than no tarp at all. The tarps just trapped the moisture coming out of the ground. 
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2024 at 8:44am
"Sweat" is condensation, which occurs when you have different temperatures on the inside and out. Even with great ventilation, you are probably going to get some condensation when the sun is beating on a cold (interior) building. 
Ventilation will help, but I doubt you are going to completely eliminate condensation without a vapor barrier and insulation with an air gap between the insulation and vapor barrier.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2024 at 8:51am
My sheds were sitting on 4by8 'pavers',on top of gravel, with 18by18 patio stones under the tires. walls were plywood, tin roof(2.5/12 pitch), gap at wall /roof for venting,solid gable ends but no walls.LOTS of airflow. Kinda funny, never got any snow in there.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic