This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I honestly don’t know what to say

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I honestly don’t know what to say
    Posted: 05 Jan 2024 at 7:21am
I went to look at a hydraulic press that was for sale near me.
It was not what I’m looking for. The seller is a young guy that I’ve known for years.
A few years back I hired him to help finish a big house I was building.
He was a hard worker.
He wanted to know what kind of press I wanted so I explained.
This morning I got a text from him saying that he ordered me a new press and that it would be here on the 18th
I told him that I would pay for it but he refused.
He said that I was good to him and got him work when he needed it.
I don’t know how to feel about this.

Sponsored Links

DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2024 at 7:31am
well... that IS strange... but if he's come upon opportunity to obtain what you were looking for, I guess hear him out, and see.

If you helped him out that much, you were doing something right... he probably feels that what you did for him, was much greater than what YOU thought you'd done for him.

A man who spent 18 months in a WW2 German prison camp once told me: Never pass up an opportunity to discover avenues of friendship.

Edited by DaveKamp - 05 Jan 2024 at 7:31am
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2024 at 8:11am
Thad... maybe he needs a job.. or a GOOD Reference !
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2024 at 8:11am
I have a 1962 B-673 Mack tandem tractor. This was given to me by a gent I'd never met, nor seen up to that time. I was working in my shop and he stopped by asking for the guy that liked Mack trucks, (I have several). 

When this all shakes out I had changed a flat tire on his daughter's mini van in the hot summer sun with a load of her kids, (three) and no working air conditioner from a recent deer hit not yet repaired. If you know the early 2000's Chrysler mini vans, the spare tire is under the vehicle and you drop it to the ground via a winch setup in the passenger compartment; (clusterf*ck at best). Seeing this plight as I was passing in my truck, I stopped and after ascertaining what was going on, put her and the kids in my truck with the a/c on and I changed the tire. Not taking a nickel for the effort and sending her on the way, I thought nothing further of it; till this gent, (her father) showed up at the shop.

Sometimes paying it forward has it's benefits and there are still good people out there. Not everybody is on the "take" constantly. You done good and are being recognized/rewarded. Reciprocate, and spread the good to others I would suggest.

The B-673:

Edited by Codger - 05 Jan 2024 at 8:13am
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2024 at 8:24am
Originally posted by Codger Codger wrote:

I have a 1962 B-673 Mack tandem tractor. This was given to me by a gent I'd never met, nor seen up to that time. I was working in my shop and he stopped by asking for the guy that liked Mack trucks, (I have several). 

When this all shakes out I had changed a flat tire on his daughter's mini van in the hot summer sun with a load of her kids, (three) and no working air conditioner from a recent deer hit not yet repaired. If you know the early 2000's Chrysler mini vans, the spare tire is under the vehicle and you drop it to the ground via a winch setup in the passenger compartment; (clusterf*ck at best). Seeing this plight as I was passing in my truck, I stopped and after ascertaining what was going on, put her and the kids in my truck with the a/c on and I changed the tire. Not taking a nickel for the effort and sending her on the way, I thought nothing further of it; till this gent, (her father) showed up at the shop.

Sometimes paying it forward has it's benefits and there are still good people out there. Not everybody is on the "take" constantly. You done good and are being recognized/rewarded. Reciprocate, and spread the good to others I would suggest.

The B-673:

Good on you and the Mack is awesome.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2024 at 8:42am

Well,,,Thad,,at first I thought it "Might" be "You Know Who" but then I says to Joe,,,NAW!!!,,,he would not be heaping praise on You Know Who,,,WinkWinkLOLLOL.
 But the story does bring a warm feeling that maybe all is NOT bad in our world!!
 Don't got an idee what that hydraulic is worth and he did feel he wanted to give you the gift of showing his Thanks and RESPECT for helping you when HE needed the assistance. Those are the people I feel good being around,,,,,
 Do I know him,,?
JoeM(GA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeM(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2024 at 8:56am
paying it forward comes full circle most times, I believe you both made good choices
Allis Express North Georgia
41 WC,48 UC Cane,7-G's,
Ford 345C TLB
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2024 at 9:39am
As long as our memories serve, whether a good deed or a bad deed, neither is seldom forgotten. Strange world we live in today. 
Thad, the young man may have been in some unknown dire situation(s) ~ financial? relationship? self esteem? etc....? Simply put, a good job that occupied his mind AND that job was around good affiliates like yourself.  Could be that it may have been everything for him at that time? He's just thanking you. 
Codger, His daughter & grandchildren were properly cared for by a knowledgeable person who was paying attention and cared enough to stop to offer help. That speaks volumes. Well done!

Edited by AC7060IL - 05 Jan 2024 at 10:02am
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2024 at 9:48am
God promises us that the good which we do in His name will be repaid many times over. We may not always realize we are doing it for Him or the ways in which He repays us but the older and hopefully wiser I get the more I see this truth. You helped this young man at possibly a low point in his life and he appreciates it. And a hand up is better than a hand out.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2024 at 9:56am
re: how should you feel ?
HONORED !
You KNOW a 'kid' that's a hard worker AND got his head 'screwed on straight' !!
It's obvious he respects you and willing to 'pay back'.
He probably  wondered if or when he could pay to back,now he can.
 As much as you want to pay for the item, only offer. then shake his hand and say 'anytime you need me ...you got my number'... or words to that affect.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2024 at 12:55pm
Not sure the value of the press and do not know this young man . Sounds as though he is trying to repay you for helping him out earlier in life. I am always suspicious of free things. My grandfather used to beat into my head that nothing is free . Had a gentleman give me a bunch of pvc pipe and fittings. His neighbor was a plumber who had passed and the plumbers wife gave this guy all of his stock. He soon found out this stuff took up too much room and knew I was a plumber so he called and said that I should take everything. I asked if he or the widow wanted any money. He said take it and don't worry about it. Have worked for him since then and he now thinks that I should work for free for him and the widow. Not to say that is the case here but I always look a gift horse in the mouth. Glad to hear there are good people still out there.
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2024 at 4:41am
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

Thad... maybe he needs a job.. or a GOOD Reference !

I usually offer him a job when I see him. He’s a good worker and gets along with everyone.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2024 at 4:45am
Originally posted by Pat the Plumber CIL Pat the Plumber CIL wrote:

Not sure the value of the press and do not know this young man . Sounds as though he is trying to repay you for helping him out earlier in life. I am always suspicious of free things. My grandfather used to beat into my head that nothing is free . Had a gentleman give me a bunch of pvc pipe and fittings. His neighbor was a plumber who had passed and the plumbers wife gave this guy all of his stock. He soon found out this stuff took up too much room and knew I was a plumber so he called and said that I should take everything. I asked if he or the widow wanted any money. He said take it and don't worry about it. Have worked for him since then and he now thinks that I should work for free for him and the widow. Not to say that is the case here but I always look a gift horse in the mouth. Glad to hear there are good people still out there.

I’m also a believer that nothing is free.
I don’t want anything for free.
I also don’t want to discourage this young man’s kindness by refusing the deal.
I’m very mixed on this deal.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2024 at 4:54am
More on this guy.
We used to have a hardware/feed store out here in Busch Arkansas.
An older couple ran it. This young guy worked there.
I was in there often.
When the recession hit, it was devastating to that store.
The couple shut it down.
The young guy then came to work for me.
Times were tough in the construction business.
The husband of the couple passed and the young man stepped up to help the widow.
It took several years to sell off the store and inventory. Building just sold last year.
He has stood by the widow ( who is in very rough condition these days). He and his wife moved in with her and are full time caretakers.
His wife still runs a business in town.
I think he’s just a very good guy.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2024 at 6:50am
My take: yes this is unusual and feels awkward, mostly because of the self reliant nature of yourself and the times we live in.

Ask yourself this. Would you/ have you ever given something to someone and why? And how would you feel if they absolutely refused?

Obviously your past actions with this guy have moved him to want to give you something. When the time comes for real, look him in the eye and say it’s really not necessary to give this to me. When he shakes your hand and says You helped me out when I needed and I want to give this as a way to show my appreciation. You say, well then, thank you! I was glad to help you when I did. If you ever need anything you know who to call! Thank you my friend.

This kind of thing is tough for guys, especially between guys.

You’re a good man!
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2024 at 7:45am

YES,,TBone,,,!! You are exactly correct about ole Thad,,,!!
 I met Thad many years ago on this forum and we became fast friends and then out of the blue,  after my wife passed,  he starts telling me about this fine Lady that he works for and just flat talked me into visiting him (Her) in Arkansas,,, The Jury is still out on this but I guess since I keep going back to visit,,,,he can add "Matchmaker"  to his many other attributes on his resume'. 
 He's always taking me around to learn this Beautiful Ozark Country and all them "Hidie Holes" where history was made back in the day,,,Clap You ever get an opportunity to meet this guy,,you'll like him as well,,,!!!! ( ps,,,he also likes to keep the job site "interesting"  and will stir the pot sometimes,,,),LOLLOLClap
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2024 at 9:31am
Yes for sure Joe. I’d love to hang out with both of you!
AC WD45 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC WD45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2024 at 6:43pm
Thad, sounds like you gave someone a leg up who needed it. Thays his way of thanking you the best way he knows how. You did good.
German Shepherd dad
1957 Allis Chalmers WD45
#WD234847
1951 Allis Chalmers WD
#WD88193
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2024 at 10:25pm

Well, TBone Many Thanks for your vote of confidence, My Friend,!! I'm sure ole THAD will be glad to show off even more of the Ozark history places to go visit. I really like to go see those historic places we used to read about in school,,,,,,,ClapClap

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2024 at 1:11am
There is another saying " Never Look A Gift Horse In The Mouth "
It seems many individuals are not asking for anything , but every once in a while some A-H will spoil it for others . 
  Had a neighbor
guy come over one night , just stopped in as I was working on my car , he stood around and handed me a couple wrenches , shot the breeze and helped himself to a few beers from frig. 
  Well after couple hours he said he was leaving , said i didn't have to pay him as he had a couple jobs I could do for him with the backhoe in exchange ???? Can one say LEECH !
  Same as with neighbor that had a house fire and insurance said they would total the house as it was old farmhouse near 80 years old at the time . 
 Told him I would dig a hole in field to bury house if he paid for that ,then take house down for nothing , them bury it in hole . Charged $300 for digging and covering , took 7 hours to take down house , move material to hole , cover and then clean up old foundation and site at no charge . He figured i screwed him when I gave him the bill I guess . He moved about a year later after building a new house there , asked me for 2 loads of topsoil and spread it for front yard - then stiffed me on that - never paid as said he would after closing on house (closed but never told anyone he owed me )
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2024 at 1:22am
Thad, even though we have never met, we have become, I think, fast friends.  So I can be honest with you.
Knowing from your past because of all he posts you have put on this forum, the things you have gone overboard with, working LONG hours, HOT work, spending extra hours, ALL the things that make you..you!!  We've all learned what a wonderful person you really are (even though we have never met).  Apparently you've been yourself and done a great deed for this guy and he feels overwhelmed and has no other way to say 'thank you'.
Accept it for what it is, a simple act / gift of love.  That is God's greatest gift to us to give to others.  I tell people all the time, that the greatest gift we can give at any given time is a HUG.  It is something free to give away and everyone loves getting one.  Give it away with an act of love.  It is a wonderful gft with no strings attached.
I think he feels beholden to you because of who you you are.  We've heard all the tales of all the hardship you have undergone with work and the workers.  Well here is someone who appreciates you for 'being there'.
It's not every day that we find someone who is all that they seem to be, honest, loving, caring, and one of Gods blessed people.
Ask him if he needs a hug, a job or a pat on the back?  Give him an HONEST handshake (you don't see many of them anymore) and say thanks.  Listen to him in the future, there might be something that he needs without really mentioning it.

Oh yeah, did I mention that we need a good coach here?  For the one you stole from us? LOL
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2024 at 1:24am
PS God bless ya buddy!!
Git that lazy azz Joe and the new gal friend and git em up to THE ORANGE SPECTACULAR this July!!!!!  Thas an order!
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Clay View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2024 at 9:06am
File a lean on the property.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2024 at 7:45pm
Got home tonight and found a large heavy crate on the porch.
I’m still at a loss for words over this.
Hope I can do something for him someday.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2024 at 8:05pm

Well, GOOD BUDDY,,,,knowing YOU and how you do things,,there is no doubt in my mind, ,,when the time comes,,! that you will do the right thingClapClap
 I would be proud to meet this fellar when I get back up there,,sounds like the  kind of person that makes the best sort of friends,,,,,ClapClap
 UMmmm,,you don't reckon that is a new Hi-PO Go Kart engine,,,do you,,,,,,,??ClapClap
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2024 at 5:27am
Originally posted by desertjoe desertjoe wrote:

Well, GOOD BUDDY,,,,knowing YOU and how you do things,,there is no doubt in my mind, ,,when the time comes,,! that you will do the right thingClapClap
 I would be proud to meet this fellar when I get back up there,,sounds like the  kind of person that makes the best sort of friends,,,,,ClapClap
 UMmmm,,you don't reckon that is a new Hi-PO Go Kart engine,,,do you,,,,,,,??ClapClap

If it is, it’s got a very long stroke cause that crate is long and skinny and heavy.
Oh did I mention heavy?
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2024 at 7:41am

HMmmm,,well,,,,it certainly could not be one of them short stroke B&S type  items,,,,LOL

By the way,,Thad,,those wipers for the mig wire came in yesterday,,,Them are cute little buggers,  ain't they,,?

But,,,I'm still waiting on the adapter as I did not have a big enough piece of plastic to machine one,,,,Angry
 According to Nat Weather Service,,,Lookin like ya'll still got some more COLD AZZED days to work in,,,,WinkWink
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic