This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WD45 carb leaking raw gas into breather tube

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave_f_reese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WD45 carb leaking raw gas into breather tube
    Posted: 19 Jun 2024 at 3:23pm
My 1956 WD45 is allowing raw gas into the air breather tube when I crank the engine. I had the carb (Marvel Schebler TSX561) was rebuild by a local shop and I had a couple of others verify it was properly rebuilt. The needle and seat have been checked and don't allow fuel to leak to leak by. Although I've not found anyone close by who professes to be knowledgeable of the older tractors, one theory floated was a sticking engine valve is the cause.  Has anyone else had a similar issue? I'm beginning to get discouraged.
Sponsored Links

Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2024 at 3:52pm
The first thing I would check is the floats. Make sure they are not taking on fuel which makes them sink. An easy way to tell is remove them and give them a gentle shake. If you hear fuel sloshing inside one or both, there's your problem. Another thing that happens is sometimes the needle valve may hang up in the seat bore and do the same thing as a sinking float would do, and that fill the fuel bowls up to the top. When I rebuild Carburetors for my customer's, I always take a piece of super fine steel wool and burnish the needle valve. If there's a little nick or spot on the needle, that could hang the needle up and allow the bowls to overflow. Another issue is dirt in the tank.Always make sure the tank is super clean. The Viton tip on those needle valves work great when they seat, but if a minute piece of dirt gets stuck to that Viton, its like glue. The needle will not seat and fuel will creep through. Another problem with a fresh rebuild, is when opening up the petcock on the sediment bowl, only open it up half way or less. Sometimes what may happen if the float bowls are empty, and fuel comes rushing in, the floats could be slammed up and stick. This will also overflow the fuel bowls causing the fuel to run out. If you open the valve up just a little, get the engine running and then open the petcock the rest of the way. This gives the floats a chance to level out.  HTH
Steve@B&B
bb-customcircuits.com

Edited by Steve in NJ - 19 Jun 2024 at 3:55pm
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
dave_f_reese View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave_f_reese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2024 at 5:58am
Appreciate the reply, but unfortunately the float is good and the needle has been replaced and verified. Also, last year I removed the fuel tank, cleaned it and used Northern Fuel Tank Liner so rust no longer seems to be an issue. When I get a chance to reinstall the carb this weekend I'll follow your suggestion to partially open the fuel line. In the past I've opened the fuel line and allowed the bowl to fill. Then would open the bowl drain valve to make sure it was full. I've left the fuel turned on for several hours and gas was not seeping/flowing in and overfilling. From my novice perspective the excess gas becomes an issue as soon as the engine is cranked.
ac-mike View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac-mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2024 at 7:41am
I believe the float level is supposed to be 1/4" between the float and gasket. I have had to increase the float level to stop the problem you described. Probably not the correct thing to do but has worked many times for me.
D-12III, 200D, 170G, HD-3, D19D 3pt, D17D High Crop, WD45G p/s, D15IID, D15IIG, D15G IND, 655, (3)WD45D p/s, 700, 816
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2024 at 8:11am
My WD has a bad needle valve and will fill the hose with gas if not closed when shut off. You have to have gas leaking by needle to fill the hose. I don't know the cause but that's where it's coming from.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2024 at 8:44am
Why don't you run a cranking compression test on the engine to verify a sticking valve or not.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic