This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fixing or LASTING LONGER

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fixing or LASTING LONGER
    Posted: 29 Jan 2024 at 11:21pm

Let’s make our TVs, phones, fridges last longer!

Consumer products used to be built to last. But these days so many electronics you buy, from smartphones to TVs, become quickly outdated due to old software – doomed to be replaced. And many manufacturers use glue to hold devices together, making them difficult to repair and recycle. But we are close to changing that, thanks to so many of you demanding the Right to Repair your electronics!

A plan is on the table right now that would put pressure on manufacturers to make their products last longer and easier to repair. And we need every consumer voice to make it a reality.

Join us in telling the Federal Trade Commission to create strong rules that will extend the life of the electronics we buy. 

These rules are critical as more traditionally non-electronic products (think refrigerators, cars, even tractors) use software and other technology controlled by the manufacturer. Unlike replacing smaller electronics whose technology goes on the fritz, the cost of replacing a car or refrigerator every time something shorts out is unrealistic. 

Help us push the FTC to pass these pro-consumer rules! You should have reliable products that shouldn’t have to be replaced every few years because the manufacturer controls the repair process.

HERE IS THE IMPORTANT PART!!

After you sign the petition, you can do even more to push back on the electronics industry lobby. The FTC is seeking ‘public comment’ on the proposed rule, so we have included a link to that website after you sign the petition where you can sound off about your frustration with unrepairable electronics. Your comment would be part of the public record, and help show the Commission that consumers want and need reliable, easy-to-repair products.

Thank you for continuing the fight for the Right to Repair!

Angel Han
Consumer Reports

Thank Guys & Gals.

Edited by Ted J - 29 Jan 2024 at 11:22pm
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2024 at 8:19am
It is VERY POOR POLICY to design things that are expected to fail or become "OLD" in 5 years .. and then go into the land fill.... How many people have a cell phone or TV that is over 5 years old ?
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2024 at 8:58am
I do and will continue to use it till it dies. Just as I did it predecessor. I think the TV is about 10 years old but we have never had cable, or any pay for tv service. Still have a VCR son purchased back in 1992, (I think) and I and to replace the drive belt to get the videos transferred to the computer hard drive which was new in 2011. This replaced the 486-66 based computer which I still have and use at the shop running XP as the operating system. Nothing wrong with it but I am on a flat screen nowadays and it's about the fourth, or fifth one as they get larger as someone gives them to me.

I don't need new. I need what works.
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2024 at 9:27am
From a 'sales' aspect , it's GREAT to sell 'short lived' products ! Millions of repeat customers, huge cash inflow..everyone's happy !
IF you built/sold a QUALITY product, you'll only do that ONCE, then go out of business.
Computers/phones are a good example. 'They' update the programs or aps, force you to upgrade the OS which forces you to upgrade the 'box' even though there is ZERO real need for 'upgrading'. I've got PC desktops here that I can't run my good old programs on, unless I 'dumb the OS down'. SAME hardware(box ) ..sigh....
APPLE has made billions, with their creative advertising  forcing you into 8-9-10-14, ....forever upgrading, at $1,000 a pop or more..
Cars... don't get me going there !
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2024 at 11:27am
General population of under 35 see disposable as normal, upgrade phones as fast as new arrives so in permanent payment plans. My PC is a 2015 and uses a soon to obsolete program, it will not be replaced. My Iphone is a 12 where wife just upgraded to a 14 with her sis on our plan yet Mine is paid for. Will get a battery change come summer.

My 99 F250 SD is getting rehabbed for my uses, looked at a bigger tractor to compliment our little farm Maintenance programs but not these days, asking what cost new on close to 15 year old machines that need work not going there. Could use a skid steer but not paying those prices asked on used well worn machines either.

Was explained by a retiring tractor purchase agent that the EPA is working to apply CA style rules on pre emissions machines by banning repair parts production on those machines to force capitulation in replacing to newer. Will essentially shut down all small operations farms and construction trades businesses. Seante committee is fighting this as we speak.
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2024 at 11:58am
Laws will be made in favor of those large enough to employ lobbyists not in favor of the consumer.
How do you think dc politicians amass billions on a $250000 a year job?
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2024 at 12:15pm
Well, i got a  1942 B with a WOOD MOWER and a 1944 B with a SICKLE and a 1952 IB with a blade on the back.... Dont think i have had to UPGRADE the SOFTWARE on any of them yet.... Going to be hard for the EPA to discontinue PARTS also !!  LOL  Wink
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2024 at 1:14pm
WITH THE LEGISLATION OR RIGHT TO REPAIR - and customers losing , then it use to be you could tell what was wrong without having to SCAN a onboard computer .
  Well we changed points and plugs in around 20,000 miles rotor caps and it use to be fuel pumps were easy and not in the tank . 
  Same with farm and construction equipment , my 785 NH Skid Loader was all mechanical , the LX665 is onboard computer which now blinks codes to me as I run it . A marvel of the new take it to a dealer to clear .
  The full idea is IDIOT PROOF items for IDIOTS - and we all have to buy into it 
How bad is it , washing instructions on children's clothing , wash in cool water with mild detergent - Remove Child Before Washing  
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic