This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

obsolute parts for a Miller Thunderbolt 225,,,

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: obsolute parts for a Miller Thunderbolt 225,,,
    Posted: 24 Jan 2024 at 8:52pm

I picked up a great looking Miller Thunderbolt 225 AMP Style JB-41 Arc welder for a really good price at a yard sale, The STYLE JB-41 is the only'ist numbers on the box. The PO said he stopped using the welder due to the blades on the tiny  cooling fan broke off. He removed the power cord and installed on new machine he bought.
 I installed a short power cord I had and it does weld but I only run it for about 2-3  mins. because of missing  fan blades. 
 I have looked on internet for obsolute Miller parts and Amazon and Ebay with NO luck,,,!!
 Any one got an Idee,,,??
Sponsored Links

Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2024 at 9:00pm
Replace the fan with a "Muffin" fan which is an axial fan commonly available. What is is about 8" diameter? Doesn't have to be a welder fan, just something to move air across the transformer. While apart clean that transformer with solvent and compressed air. 
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2024 at 9:04pm

Some pics,,,,,

desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2024 at 9:17pm

Hey Codger,,when I was doing some study'in on my Lincoln Mig, I did read where some of those cooling fans were 115V and some were 220V,? I think this one has about a 3" daimeter fan,,
 UMM what is a muffin fan,,,,,,????LOLLOL
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2024 at 9:27pm
JOE !!! I gots that same welder with the same problem !!.. Yes, the fan was 240 v.. I looked on AMAZON for a "exact fit" .... MUCHO $$$ ..... I finally took a 120v muffin fan i had ( thats a small box fan) that was about 6 inches in diameter and STUFFED it into that space.. ITS TIGHT !!... But i gots LOTTS OF COOLING !!..

You might want to set a 20 inch box fan next to the welder and "TEST WELD" to make sure the COOLING solves your problem and you dont have ADDITIONAL WEAK parts ??

Edited by steve(ill) - 25 Jan 2024 at 8:43am
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2024 at 9:37pm
I used something like this ... I put a couple pieces of all thread and PVC pipe spacers to hold it up 2-3 inches off the bottom of the welder.. I put the fan WIRES on one leg of the 240v to get 120v supply.. This one is kind of quiet (47 db) and it puts out 110 CFM which is good... Make sure you get a high volume fan, not 40- 50 CFM..... 120 mm is about 4-1/2 inch diameter..... this one is on AMAZON.

Edited by steve(ill) - 24 Jan 2024 at 9:44pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2024 at 9:39pm
This is the SPEC on the above fan...  more like 4.7 inches square

• High Speed: This model is designed to maximize airflow and can be too loud for some applications.
  • 120 x 120 x 38 mm (4.7 x 4.7 x 1.5 in.) | 100 to 120V AC | Airflow: 110 CFM | Noise: 47 dBA | Speed: 2600 RPM
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2024 at 10:53pm
You can use a 110 V fan and hook to one leg of 220 V but be sure your using a neutral on the circuit . Otherwise your case will be hot or fan will not run . 
 You could mount the FAN EXTERNALLY also - I have a couple old battery chargers with 100 A + output and use small fans to cool the transformers on those , even after I replaced the selenium rectifiers with diodes and heat sink copper plates .
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2024 at 11:07pm
This one is closer to 6 inches square and 2 inches think.. MORE AIR.. and 240v power..... just measure and make sure you can GET IT INTO THE BOX !!

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2024 at 8:39am
The ORIGINAL fan is very similar to a BATHROOM VENT FAN ....I was looking at these "replacement type" fans, but noted that they  have about the half the air flow of the 4.5 inch Muffin fan above..

desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2024 at 8:59am

Hey Steve that small bathroom fan sure looks like whats in the Miller,,,but,,I'm gonna go with your Muffin fan suggestion in 240 volt and get that dude to welding,,,,!!!
 Thanks to all of ya'll for all your help,,,ClapClap
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2024 at 9:01am
Put a box fan next to the welded and TEST it today.. Make sure you dont have other WEAK electrical parts !!     YEA... muffin fan has TWICE the air flow.
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2024 at 5:47pm
Is that a DC welder?
We need details
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2024 at 5:57pm
I think the WHITE FACE units were from the 1970- 80 era.. I "think" they were all AC units.. Mine is 1990 and has a BLACK face on it and is AC/ DC combined... Little more CROWDED on the inside of the box.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2024 at 9:34am

OK,, I decided the idea of doing a "Trial Run" to se if there is any good reason to keep on working on this machine. There is NO tag on the machine but writing states it is an A/C machine. The only numbers anywhere are "Style JB-41" stenciled at center top of face.
I had to machine some quick attach pins to adapt my Lincoln lead ends to the Miller ports and I notice the LOW port has been removed entirely. I then see where the PO had taped up the big copper wires that were on the outlet port from the Transformer,,,Hmm? Bad JUJU,,??  My thoughts here are that the red plastic quick attach port for the LOW had broken and PO just removed it and taped up the big copper wires inside box from Transformer,,?
 Got everything ready and turned that mother ON,,,,,! The fan motor has bearings gone and sounds terrible, so I disconect the power cable and disconnect the cooling fan,then try it again.
 The heat setting crank aT TOP of maching is quite stiff and will need some cleaning of the brownish varnish looking "stuff" on the sides of transformer and if possible will have to be taken apart to clean that varnish stuff before the sliding UP and Down part to adjust heat settings easier.
 I then notice that ,,,,,,EITHER the "Black Plastic SLIDING part in center of transformer and controlled by the Crank is a TWO piece or it has broken right in the center in the straightest crack you ever seen,,!??
 I set the heat at 90 and this will weld quite nicely with 6013 in 1/8" but DOES stick a few times,,,,maybe get some 6011,,??
 IF the big black plastic adjuster on the transformer is not broken,,,, then maybe there is a decent welder hidden in this project,,,??
 Steve has given me a link to a 240V cooling fan that will take just a pair of minutes  to install,,,,at $26 plus a replacement port for the LOW CAN'T BE TOO EXPENSIVE,??
 What ya'll think,,,,??
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2024 at 12:45pm
I run 75  - 95 amps on the HIGH side and have not moved the cable to the LOW for 30 years.... Just a thought . Wink
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2024 at 8:11am

Hey Steve,,,you know for $23, and a pair of minutes,  I could have a decent back-up arc welder,,,and a Miller at that,,!! I agree that you should not have to be changing heat very often altho, I would like to try and remove the black plastic chingas that slides up and down to adjust the heat as there is a fair amount of brownish  looking "varnish" that i'm sure would prolly help all things welding if cleaned up,,,??Clap
  OF Course next thing would be to put a set of wheels( which I happen to have over there pointing to corner) this sob is HEAVY,,,!!!LOLWink

Edited by desertjoe - 28 Jan 2024 at 8:14am
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2024 at 8:46am
YEP... mine got wheels the day after i got it 30 years ago !!  Home made.. but looks a LOT like that 2 wheel cart for the wire feed welder !!  Wink

I would also "FIX" the welder with the LOW range, and worn plastic parts.. Got to keep things in top shape with routine Maintenance !
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2024 at 9:07am
DJ, get a 5# box of 7018AC rods. be sure it says AC at the end. It's specifically made for Allis Chamlers tractors, er.....AC welders. Have used it for decades as I just have a Lincoln AC-225-S. Arcs nice, smooth, consistent welds. My backup is 6011, aka 'farmers sticks'. smells like smouldering pants on fire, not near as nice.
The BIG thing with rods is to keep them warm and dry.Store in house on top of furnace is good. ANY moisture and  you'll get 'problems'...hard to start, misfires,zip not ZAP....

If you don't get a 240v fan, use 2 , 120 fans in series. LOTS of airflow.....
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic