This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CC Fraud

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2024 at 6:36pm
We t to bank today, good information there and replaced chipped debit cards.

Found info out there that any chipped card is vulnerable at 3-6 FEET, buy a RFID carry case or wallet. Only issue there is has to be out to use it. Skimmers can “See” a Card code at 12 FEET with newer equipment. Started just pumping gas paying Inside. Not chancing fate there. Then the phone clone crap, can skim a phone driving alongside a car with a interconnect to that car, can Skim a phone walking along behind someone on their phone. If do not have multifactor on phone can skim it at any time within six feet.

Will no longer trust anyone anywhere except my bank and REALLY close friends, rfid wallet is on the way otherwise only card will carry is DEBIT that has to have a code to payout. One of wife’s BFF buys reloadable Visa or MC cards and will not put more than $500 on At a time, no bank connect no connection to anything but cash bought into it. May even do that.
Sponsored Links

JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2024 at 9:28pm
Thanks for the info guys.
 I want to disable that chip entirely then it has to be swiped in a reader.
  Thinking about just lining my wallet with heavy aluminum foil where I carry couple cards.    I would think that would work.
My card didn't work at the local pump last year, got home and called the company.   when calling, I got sent straight to another department and there was a live person on the other end and asked me a bunch of questions andI had not used or authorized the use of the card until I had tried to buy gas.  They said that the card was used for a couple dollars and right away it was getting hit by several other places and the card company put a halt on the card till I called.   When said and done, they concluded that they would re-issue my card with new security code.  Sure GLAD that they caught those scamming charges. Woulda been in a world of hurt if they hadn't.
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2024 at 7:07am

With all this discussion about CC theft,,AND the fact that I am also currently in a Dispute over some questionable charges on mine,,I decided to go to my bank to clear a few things,,,I was asked if I had an RFID wallet for added securiy and I had to say NO,,,,
 There are some banks that supply the little "sleeve" that gives you some protection but there are now some "RFID Wallets" that are even better than the sleeves!!  I checked those available from $9 up to the cadillac $200 models and settled on a $14 model,,,Wink
 As Dave states,,a "Reloadable CC is a much better method of doing online shopping as YOU load the amount you want in your relaodable  AND more importantly it  has NO electronic connection to your  checking account.
 The bank also warns about using your phone for internet purchases, which I do not.
 Having said all this,,,there will most likely soon be something else the scammers will invent that will  bypass even the current ploys,,,,,Angry
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2024 at 5:42am
AMEX sent a automated notification. Fraud matter settled as forgiven.

Sweat was rolling figuring would owe this forever.

Edited by DMiller - 29 Jan 2024 at 5:56am
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2024 at 5:46am
good to know, hmm,, wonder if this appears on your 'credit report' ?
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2024 at 5:57am
Cannot imagine wouldn’t, a bump in the road but not a crash.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2024 at 7:24am
I have never had any that I have had appera on my credit report

exSW View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exSW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2024 at 11:24am
I can't understand why anyone uses a bank/debit card anymore. They are ripe for ripoff. The bank nukes(at least mine does) them at the slightest sign of malfeasance leaving you stranded sometimes hundreds of miles away. I have ONE credit card with a low limit. The last yahoo that jacked my card tried using it at the end of the month. Got dingus. Probably cussed me for being maxed out! HA! Cash,certified funds, old fashioned check. Online I use Paypal. Period. They are a pain but they're secure. Someone hijacking your phone is a different story. Androids are much easier to jack because because the operating system is ooen sourced Linex based. I hate Iphones. Miss my windows phone which was basically bullet proof.
Learning AC...slowly
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2024 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by exSW exSW wrote:

I can't understand why anyone uses a bank/debit card anymore. They are ripe for ripoff. The bank nukes(at least mine does) them at the slightest sign of malfeasance leaving you stranded sometimes hundreds of miles away. I have ONE credit card with a low limit. The last yahoo that jacked my card tried using it at the end of the month. Got dingus. Probably cussed me for being maxed out! HA! Cash,certified funds, old fashioned check. Online I use Paypal. Period. They are a pain but they're secure. Someone hijacking your phone is a different story. Androids are much easier to jack because because the operating system is ooen sourced Linex based. I hate Iphones. Miss my windows phone which was basically bullet proof.

You think checks are secure? A WHOLE bunch of information can be gleaned from a check!

I’d still like to know how that guy emptied my son’s bank account all those years ago. Only 2 things I can think of, one a piece of stray trash containing a statement, or, a corrupt helper on the inside. They did catch him though. We set up a password. He came through the drive through to make another withdrawal, they asked for the password. He said “Uhhh, I forgot to get the new password from Craig “. They new it was him then because my son’s age and the issue came up in the account notes.
exSW View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exSW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2024 at 2:19pm
No I don't think checks are secure. But they cut down on intermediaries. Which makes it easier to id the crooks. They're also more work  than sitting at a keyboard. Thieves are lazy.
Learning AC...slowly
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2024 at 2:56pm
Nothing is secure except face to face cash purchases or sales, and then potential of buying a POS is always there.

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2024 at 3:52pm
I have a VISA card.. Use it for 95% of the purchases i make. I carry $100. in my wallet and that lasts 4 months.. I might write 2 checks in 6 months.... Have had the card HACKED maybe 3 times in 20 years... NOT MY PROBLEM.... VISA takes care of everything and sends you a new card... I have a second card, another company, so i cant get stuck without a card anytime.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2024 at 5:18am
We are going thru everything available as to protection. Not much out there.
RFID wallets or card carriers only work so long as card inside, new ‘Tap and Go’ is the recent release by card companies and is readable at up to twelve feet when use one.
Passcodes are taking over for passwords although same conditions exist as to hacking, hackers can see number or lefter key strokes and unless is a random as our bank furnishes for computer validation is not any more tamper resistant.
Banks are as confused as electronic funds transfers account holders thru banks and bank to bank pose serious access hack-ability but is how business is done today.
Found out yesterday all driver licenses have a rfid chip, those as well can be ‘Skimmed’ as often as a CC. Gives illegals or other Criminals access to Personal Info and potential use of ID in their games.
Nothing will ever be secure to a positive level, as hackers up the game the IT people have to accelerate their own side of that equation, does not always succeed.

Autos and heavy trucks today are and will remain hackable. Any machine with a Transponder type ECM which is almost everything since 2004 at least in automotive and 2014 in HD trucks can be hacked, started driven stolen by criminals with as little as a smart phone sized device.. all the grief given KIA as to theft accessibility is propaganda by the people that expect the general population to not understand the new reality. A Key FOB for a push button start can be produced in minutes to steal most any machine using said tech.

World changes in a dead run as we walk along, just have to accept is part of change that criminal intent evolves as fast as warfare.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2024 at 8:00am
re: new ‘Tap and Go’ is the recent release by card companies and is readable at up to twelve feet when use one.
don't think so... RFID tech is pretty good at 4 INCHES, so please show a link where it can read any further.  Cards (RFID) get needed energy from the 'reader' to power up the internal computer chip.

As for vehicle thefts, I can 100% prevent any of them from being driven away for less than $20 and an hour's labour regardless of the thief's 'computer' skills.

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2024 at 2:26pm
Per our bank Mgr, when read a Tap and Go that information is repeated by the machine thru a Up link, most have no protection for that broadcast.  IT tech at the nuke stated can read my phone thru a phone call or across the internet if it links wifi at home.  He also repeated that RFID chips are readable at distance with tech in Scammers Hands.  He has been involved with trying to stop scammers and skimmers for decades, is ongoing and high tech these days.
exSW View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exSW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2024 at 3:04pm
Go to "Settings" on your phone. It is amazing how many things you can turn off.
Learning AC...slowly
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2024 at 3:21pm
curious,as I was an Avionics tech, did 'energy harvesting 6 decades ago, and laugh at all the vehicles being so easily stolen...

below was  cut/pasted from the RFID journal

The passive RFID tag in your friend's credit card is an HF tag based on the ISO 14443 air-interface protocol, which limits the read range to a few inches, for security reasons. RFID 
credit cards are actually much safer than conventional magstripe cards

the 'passive' RFID tag in the credit card captures the RF energy from the 
reader(misnomer btw..) ,converts into DC voltage, to power the internal computer
say it takes 1 watt of RF power to read the card from 1 foot, go 3 feet away you need 9 watts, from 10 feet 100 watts of power....

as for 'stopping the scammers' reading your phone, simple encrypt the data,especially any 'phone to home computer', and of course change the 3 or 4 passwords on every WIFI device. Big problem is almost nobody does this ( Blackberry did.... )

Edited by jaybmiller - 30 Jan 2024 at 3:24pm

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2024 at 3:53pm
Would be pretty DUMB on the Credit Card companys part if they passed out cards you could read 10 ft away..  ??
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2024 at 5:46pm
And along with that AMEX sent a Revision, are changing to Charging the charges to us.  Approvals were made through the Contact Information their system uses and received approvals, so called to appeal, seems the Vendor demands paid, a Person with a card used it, got an approval and they issued them a product, end of discussion, Fraud DECLINED.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2024 at 6:15pm
I still say they should be able to determine WHERE THE PARTS WERE SHIPPED... AMEX is not doing their job, pushing the Vendor..
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2024 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

I still say they should be able to determine WHERE THE PARTS WERE SHIPPED... AMEX is not doing their job, pushing the Vendor..

Not Parts, Gift Cards, NO Names.  Got that from the AMEX rep spoke to this afternoon.  Smart cookies, NOT Trackable.  SHOULD Have thrown major Red Flags and been declined, but they received Approval Codes.

Edited by DMiller - 01 Feb 2024 at 6:24pm
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2024 at 6:30pm
As to near future, gonna dump the Iphone, NOT going with any kind of Smart ANY kind of Phone, if have to will go to a pay as I go flip phone, cannot skim on those.  Same with CCs, already swapped to a Preload Visa, dropping Chase, will load $500 and as it depletes add on another.  As well is a Basic chip but NO Tap to pay card.  Load at bank I use.

Soon as this AMEX stuff is paid, their cards will get sent back, in pieces, Canceled.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic