This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Looking for: AC Monarch 75

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MonarchDan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking for: AC Monarch 75
    Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 3:52pm
Hello..

If anyone knows of an AC - Monarch 75 crawler tractor that might be available for sale in any condition please let me know. They were large, about 21,000 lbs. powered by a Le Roi 4 cyl gasoline engine.
I am now retired and would like to find one to restore. When I was small, my family had two Monarch 75's but unfortunately both were scrapped in the late 50's or early 1960's.

I remember my dad's 75 very well, got to ride on it a few times. The sound of that big slow speed, 6 3/4" x 8" engine pulling was impressive. 3 Speed w/ oil bath chain drive finals. Had a steering wheel to release the steering clutches and band turning brakes.
Any info would be appreciated, ... even the location of a museum where I could see one in the iron  would be appreciated.
Thanks for any help, .... I may never find one, .....  but I am on the hunt!
My phone is 785 456 5964
My email is:   dancarolk@gmail.com
Thanks,
Dan

Edited by MonarchDan - 26 Aug 2016 at 5:24pm
Sponsored Links

OrangeKiwi(NZ) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OrangeKiwi(NZ) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 6:10pm
There was 2 75's for sale on Tractor shed some time ago. I think they were in Montana and the owner was a member of this forum. Can't remember his log-on name. A couple of museum exhibits are at the Heidrick Ag Centre in Woodland CA and I saw one at the Manitoba Threshers display about 1999. There is another working example with a cab fitted that goes to working displays, I think around Indiana. It pulls a mini scoop and there is many photos of it on the internet. Good luck in finding something suitable.
MonarchDan View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MonarchDan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 7:31pm
Thanks Orangekiwi,

I appreciate your reply.

I do have the phone # of Steve in MT, ... I've called but no answer so far. 

I appreciate the museum info and will plan to visit.

Edited by MonarchDan - 26 Aug 2016 at 7:35pm
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 8:16pm
Steve in MT had his listed several years ago... I don't know if he still has them.
 Theres on refurbed 75 down in Edgerton, Rock River Thresheree .

and I know where this one sits... LOL

They are still around but getting fewer in between. 
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MonarchDan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 9:04pm
Thanks JC(WI)
Thanks for the picture. Unfortunately the links you sent me don't seem to go to any pics unless I am doing something wrong.

I am glad to hear you say there are still some around, ... would be a great project to honor my dad as he put many hours on the old 75 as a young guy. Dad always spoke highly of the 75's but said they needed a 4th gear!

I still have in my dad's shop a few 75 parts. A new Le Roi head gasket, carb,some misc parts and a complete drawbar assembly he kept for some reason.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MonarchDan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 9:11pm
OK JC(WI),
I figured out the link you sent and and have accessed several pics etc.

Thanks,
Dan
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 3:15am
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MonarchDan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 12:09am
Hey JC(WI)
Thanks so much for the great links to great pics.
I really appreciate your help. 
Regards, Dan
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 7:54am
Keep trying to get a hold of Steve MT. That will be your best option. Darrel
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 9:58am
Nice pictures.  I'd never heard of a national.  Being as it was also made in AC land, one has to wonder if someone from Allis got hired away by Westinghouse to design a crawler.  Couldn't even come up with a different color!
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Lazyts View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lazyts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2016 at 9:57pm
Monarch 75 working on #6 highway near Raymore SK, 1936

Edited by Lazyts - 31 Aug 2016 at 9:59pm
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MonarchDan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2016 at 11:06pm
Thanks much Lazyts,

That 75 looks exactly like my dad's 75 that we had into the early 1960's. His just had the two track carrier rollers like in your pic. I have seen several other pics with three carrier rollers. I remember it had the diamond AC decal just as shown in this picture.

I still still remember riding on it, ... loved the wide seat. He had other "cats" but I liked the 75 best and the sound of that engine when it pulled hard!

When I was really small, I'd ride for a while when he was pulling a scraper and then go to sleep. Later I would wake up and find my self in his old truck 

Thanks for sharing!!
Steve (MT) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve (MT) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2016 at 11:32pm
MonarchDan,
I have a restored 1930 Monarch 75. It is very nice and you have a open invite to come out to Montana to see it any time. I just had it out 2 weeks ago for a local tractor show.
(406) 486 5462.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MonarchDan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2016 at 11:06pm
Hello Steve,
Thanks for the response and very kind invitation to see your "75". I sure hope I can get out to see your tractor in the not too distant future. Which show were you at with your "75" recently?  
I have a friend at Ft. Shaw, MT and he told me he went to a show recently and saw a Monarch 75 but I need to ask him which show he attended.  
I heard about you sometime back and have tried to contact you without success  so I really appreciate hearing from you.  

I was told you had a "75" for sale some years ago ... I assume now long gone. 

I suspect you have read the various posts and know my family had two Monarch 75's many years ago, but one got scrapped I think in the 1950's after an engine problem and the other I watched get cut up in the early 1960's ... I really liked that tractor and felt awful as I watched the scrapper cut it up and winch the pieces into his truck. I knew it was a mistake as a kid and I will always remember that day. 
I do have a few pieces that still remain at the farm ... that I basically cherish.

I was there yesterday and took time to make sure the drawbar assembly, ... plate and
swinging hitch are still there in good shape as is a brand new head gasket that has been in Dad's shop for some 60 + years as well as a few other parts I believe to be Monarch.
I'm not real sure why he kept the drawbar but I'm glad he did. Memories! I can still hear the old Le Roi barking under load. We had / have other track type tractors but I thought the old "75" with the Steering Wheel was tooo cool!

I wish I had a good picture of dad's 75 but right now I can't find any at all. I do know somewhere there is a picture of one of us kids with our horse and part of the rear of the tractor happened to be in that picture. I'll keep looking.

MT is a long way from Kansas but if you know of a restorable "75" that might be available now or in the future I would be very interested in attempting to purchase.
I am now retired and if my wife doesn't scream too loudly ... it would be a great retirement project. How I wish my dad had just parked the old 75 and let it set!! 

Again, .... Thank you and I hope to meet you and your tractor sometime.  Dan
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic