This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hydraulic Tank Clean Out/Flush

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hydraulic Tank Clean Out/Flush
    Posted: 01 Oct 2016 at 6:22pm
I'm trying to find a good solvent to put in the hydraulic tank of my HD5. No issues with this part of the machine but I don't think the fluid has ever been changed. I've sucked out all of the fluid from the tank with my evacuator.  I realize if I really wanted to do it thoroughly I would take off lines, pull cylinders in etc...but the machine has no issues other than a leaky spool which in hindsight I think was due to too much fluid in the tank. In fact the hydraulics have always worked smooth and fast. 
So, should I just put new fluid in and suck it out after at some point the machine runs for awhile? 
Or, put 5 gallons of kerosene or diesel in there, let it sit for awhile and suck it out?

Thnx fellas!

Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2016 at 7:51pm
I would have thought had a drain below the fender line as my 7G does.  Kind of inconspicuous on mine but there.  Maybe one of the other hands with 5's and 6's will know.
heron View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2016 at 9:36am
Yes there is a drain but found it after your post. I have the tank totally sucked out but now I'm trying to figure out if it would be a good idea to put a solvent of some type in the tank to clean out any residue on the bottom. I'd simply pour in, let sit, suck it out. I'm thinking I'll just replace with clean fluid and then do it again once the machine has worked for a period.

Edited by heron - 02 Oct 2016 at 10:29pm
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2016 at 10:13am
Think your creating more work than it's worth . Pickup in the tank to the pump should be above bottom of tank - should have strainer on it and unless you evacuate the full system it will only be partially clean anyway . 
 Mount a return filter into system if your worried about contaminants . Or just run the machine - it's 50 + years old now - I doubt if in another 50 years it will be run hard to create a problem.
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2016 at 7:21pm
You didn't say what model HD5. My Garwood HD5B has the hydraulic drain by the crankshaft driven hydraulic pump.
heron View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2016 at 10:24pm
Yes, I agree, just thought it might be worth a little extra time if it were safe. I ended up just refilling with clean oil. Put 5 gall in and it is still a little shy but good enough to have 5 clean gallons after all these years. 
heron View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2016 at 10:28pm
It is a 55 hd5b with a Baker blade. It does have a drain on the tank, never noticed it but I still would have sucked out the fluid vs trying to break free something that probably has not been moved for over 50 years. 
Now I'm trying to find the maintenance guide for the Baker setup. I've got the part book(1057) but no information on the pump, cylinders etc...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic