This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis 7060 rear hsg oil temp warning

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie7060 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allis 7060 rear hsg oil temp warning
    Posted: 22 Jun 2024 at 11:58am
Hi All,

First post, but I have been reading other topics here for a while. Lots of knowledge and I appreciate other posts that have helped me diagnose issues I have had.

I have a new to me 7060 black belly. Recently have been using it to pull a John Deere 750 no-till drill. The other day the “rear hsg oil temp” warning light came on. I idled down and when I got out of the cab oil was dripping out of the seal between the engine and bell housing (just forward of what I assume is the flywheel inspection hole). It stopped dripping after maybe 30 seconds to 1 min. I needed to get a field finished so I kept running it that afternoon, but checked the engine oil level periodically. Oil level barely dropped if at all even though at some points when I checked the dripping was almost a tiny stream. I assume the tractor will have to be split to change this seal? If I do that are there other seals or items that should be checked/ replaced? And if I keep the oil level up, is there harm in running the tractor as is?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2024 at 12:08pm
BLACK oil is engine oil, probably caused by a leaking rear crankshaft seal. Clear/brown oil is TRANSMISSION oil, which is coming from the Power Director or Power Shift transmission (you don't say which). Transmission oil level dipstick is in the cab under the seat. Rear housing oil temp has nothing to do with either.
Okie7060 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie7060 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2024 at 1:03pm
Thank you for the quick reply. Definitely engine oil, I caught some in a bucket to check.

So the issues are unrelated, I just noticed them at the same time. Probably a dumb question but what triggers that warning, just the hydraulic fluid getting hot?
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2024 at 2:32pm
I know nothing about a John Deere 750 drill. I do know that the rear housing temperature is hydraulic oil. So, if you are using tractor hydraulics to continuously pressurize the drill for some reason, that could be an issue if the ambient temps are more than 90 degrees F. If you have a hydraulic lever that is not "centered" , activating the hydraulic system, that could be an issue. If the three-point hitch lever is out of adjustment, forcing the lift arms 101% to the top, that could cause hydraulics to overheat. If the radiator/cooling package is dirty, not allowing the hyd oil cooler to function properly, that would cause hyd oil overheating. Lastly, I assume the light went out when the oil cooled down, right ?? meaning the red light is functioning correctly. I can count on one hand how many complaints like this I have ever had since 1975. It happens, but it is kind of rare.
Okie7060 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie7060 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2024 at 3:26pm
Was a hot day and the drill has hydraulic markers and down pressure. So that sounds like the original issue, but the light stayed on (even when I started it the next day). I will have to check the wiring and sensor there.

And I will look into the crankshaft seal you mentioned on my engine oil leak.

Thank you for the advice!
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2024 at 3:40pm
If the light stayed on, look for the wire to the temp sensor to be zip tied to a hydraulic tube behind the right side fuel tank. The 40+ years of use the wires insulation may be melted into the steel tube it is tied to.

Lynn Marshall View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lynn Marshall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2024 at 5:37pm
Any oil leaks in that area can be hazardous to the torque limiter.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic