This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD16DP starting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FoxAndQuail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD16DP starting
    Posted: 17 Dec 2016 at 4:27pm
I recently bought a HD16DP (sn 9036 year 1969) from another farm nearby. One of the things we covered was that it probably needed batteries as he said  it would turnover real slow at times if it hadn't been started in a awhile. Day I got it started like a champ and off I went on my first ever dozer thinking about the 150acres I'd like to slowly cleanup from clear cut
Couple days later  went to start it and got a really faint solenoid click and a couple cylinder fires and that was it. So off I went to get new batteries, but after that I'm still not getting even solenoid action.
Now its been ages since I worked on anything this large(20 years in the Coast Guard)
I did a battery check and I'm getting 1100cca (ATD analyzer) testing each batter separately.
Testing at the starter I'm only seeing about 250cca on the tester but seems that should still be plenty to hear the solenoid kick in?

Any help would be appreciated. I see a new started isn't all that exspensive but putting in on looks like fun

thanks
MIke

Sponsored Links

truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2016 at 10:24pm
Check the cables for corrosion. Also check all the connections on the solenoid, and all the wires running to it.

Edited by truckerfarmer - 17 Dec 2016 at 10:26pm
Looking at the past to see the future.
'53 WD, '53 WD45, WD snap coupler field cultivator, #53 plow,'53 HD5B dozer

Duct tape.... Can't fix stupidity. But will muffle the sound of it!
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2016 at 11:10pm
Cables can be bad inside the cable end or insulation. Put your tester on them and wiggle the heck out of'em.
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2016 at 12:30am
The auto electrician I've dealt with for 50 years says that the internal contacts of the solenoid on Delco starters can corrode with lack of use
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2016 at 8:32am
And or burn spot if used with low condition batteries scrub. Have had to remove a few contact plates and scrub them with sand paper to get them back making contact.
FoxAndQuail View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FoxAndQuail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2016 at 9:23am
well this morning I took a resistance on the starter posts to ground connection and getting about 3 ohms  which is way too high I think. Does anyone know the proper readings by chance

took a spare solenoid I had and cabled it in to similuate a starter (usingthe pull in coil)  and then  the starter solenoid started kicking in properly

SO I'm about ready to accept that the starter itself has gone bad, it doesn't look too bad to replace it. Think if I take the side panel off it will barely slide out between the hydraulic pipes

Anyone done a starter replacement on a hd16 that has some advice?

JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2016 at 11:37pm
If you can get the starter off I'd take it to a shop to see if they can diagnose the problem.  Might be better then another used starter or spending larger bills on a new one.
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
hd16b View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hd16b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2016 at 5:45am
Just took mine off my 16b. Pretty straight forward, worst part is the back nut. Call if u have any questions 2529162927
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2016 at 7:09am
If you can find a heavy truck engine shop close by ask if they have "Space Saver" head bolts for starters. 5/8" 12 point head with shoulder on a 5/8 std thd bolt. I have had a few over the years, ended up installing my last two on my own 7G starter to eliminate trying to get the 15/16 headed piece of stuff out from the back! And I have the old half moon 'Starter' wrenches in my box!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic