This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD6 on auction.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan Hauter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD6 on auction.
    Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 7:54pm
Check out www.Jaggerauction.com.  Nice looking old dozer.  1968 model according to the listing.
Sponsored Links

HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 8:42pm
Doesn't come up for me.
Ferdinand View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ferdinand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 9:04pm
http://www.jaggerauctioneers.com/auctions/detail/schell-bros.-farm-equipment-bw17891

WWW.AOEQUIPMENT.COM

Very nice looking dozer. Current bid at $5,500.00

Edited by Ferdinand - 29 Jan 2018 at 9:07pm
Because narrow is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leads unto life, and few there be that find it.
Mathew 7:14
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 11:40pm
Pretty good looking machine, a little to far away for me to road home.
I learned something looking at those photos, the Agcostar was made in Hungary.  Somehow I thought they were built in South America.
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 7:38am
The RABA Axles in them were made in Hungary, same supplier to Steiger on some models. The tractor was built in one of the Carolinas at the McConnell Marc plant, that supplied Massey the 5200 4wd.
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 7:59am
yes that is a good looking dozer but pretty convenient that there is no good photos of the drive sprockets
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 12:41pm
Thanks Ed, the machine was built in the south of America, not South America.  I saw an Agcostar on the south side of 34, west of Greeley on the way back from the Colorado Farm Show last week.  Guess there are a few around the country.
rickv57 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rickv57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 3:08pm
I've seen several pictures of this machine, sprockets are fair, pins are worn, bottom rollers are shot
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 5:06pm
Can you tell all that from a pic Rick or did you look at it. Reason I ask is I would like to be able to look at a dozer UC and tracks visually and determine what condition the overall track and UC are in. I see notes like 80% or 60% and I would like to develop a better eye in that regard.

"HELP ME OBI WAN". Lolol
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 7:09pm
99% of the time people are guessing, and by looking it may not look bad.  Machine could be 100% worn by factory specs and still be usable, like our old part time machines.  but factory UC wear specs and peoples opinions are usually way different.  This is not any judgement on Rick,  im saying when i look at machines advertised for sale by private parties.  Not necessarily the case when looking at newer company run or dealer machines.

Edited by CAL(KS) - 30 Jan 2018 at 7:14pm
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2018 at 7:17am
Many base it on the shoes ONLY, having tall or square corner grouser to them means 60 or better percent even if the bushings were turned and re-worn to oblivion. Have to take measurements pin and bushing/link height, do full inspections, evaluate sprocket wear and support roller condition to make a good call.
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2018 at 7:44am
Thank you Cal and DMiller. Visually my grosers look good and my drive sprockets look good based on previous comments. Rick and I talked and he also gave me very good insights into what to look for on support rollers and the amount of ridge showing as well as looking at roller and chain wear. My idler wheels are good but I believe that although my 16 has low original hours, the tractor was worked hard and not well maintained.. thanks again
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2018 at 11:45am
Grousers are the last part to look at,the easy part to fix yourself by welding. The pin and bushing are near impossible to recondition,can be turned but takes a big press. Once they have been turned you have to replace if you can even find parts for the old machines.The height of the link is important in when to thin they will break. But this can be repaired by welding if you have the time.

Caterpillar put out service bulletins about link build up during WW2 as there where no new parts available.  Grousers can be built by welding on bars with very good success. But to build up links you just have add material by making weld passes,so takes much more time.

There has been some success to building up sprocket by adding hardened steel. But I don't thing there are any being sold today.

The hardest part to see is generally the rollers and they to can be built up with weld on the out side. But if run to far and bearings in AC roller go out you have bigger problems than other brands that us bushing. As making custom bushings is easier than find a way to shim and bush bearings.

For a time there was a web site to find measurements on different brands of track to judge wear. But who ever went out of business and I believe the web site went away.If the numbers can be found measuring center to center 4 links that are tight gives a very good approximation of wear on undercarriage.  Back in the day all the companies had a gauge  for every track so you could see the wear. The national antique  Cat club has talked of reproducing the ones for Cat but have not done so. 
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2018 at 12:39pm
Thank you for the very in depth explanation Ray. I have a service manual which tells me the measurements on a factory new track bs the stated minimum measurement between two adjacent track pins. New track is 7"28/32 and minimum distance should be 8"1/32. Measuring mine tonight as I'm curious.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2018 at 12:58pm
The site noted was Crawler heaven a scrapper of old machines. Can still find bits and pieces of those schedules.

https://sites.google.com/site/crawlerheaven/wear-limitpinsandbushings
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2018 at 11:42pm
I see it brought $7,600.  The AGCOstar brought $33,650.  Terra-gator over $135,000.
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2018 at 9:00am
Thank you Ray. Can you or anyone tell me the height of the lip on the support rollers on my HD16?

I'm referring to the two outside lips or flanges on the support rollers. Taking measurements on key UC parts.

Thank you
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2018 at 8:06pm
The crawler heaven link Dmiller posted has listings for the HD16.
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 6:24am
Thank you Ray. I didn't see that when I opened up the link but will go back in. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic