This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Locking a power director transmission

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allisstuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Locking a power director transmission
    Posted: 03 Jun 2024 at 8:49am
I'm building a 7030/50 puller and I'm really taking a hard look at the mess of hydraulics on this tractor. Basically, I want it all gone, then I want a bare minimum for essential functions. My question is, has anyone locked the power director transmission up for pulling? 
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2024 at 6:03pm
What are you talking about ??? Locking the torque limiter to the flywheel??? You have to have a clutch and the Power Director clutch can work up to say 400 HP. It can also be worked over to handle more than that. So, how many HP are you going for and what are you trying to do??? The Power Director clutch is HYDRAULICally operated and you want to eliminate pumps and lines and valves ?? 
Allisstuff View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allisstuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2024 at 8:30pm
I'd like to install a dry clutch and run power through the existing transmission as a 5 speed that can't slip. 
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2024 at 9:52pm
It's been done before. Brad Howell's 7000 series 4 turbo super stocker from many years ago would have had a Crower-Glide clutch and custom made input shafts and a cover plate, throw out bearing with a cross shaft and a fork on it. It would require some engineering and be costly. You figuring on more than 500 or 600 HP ???
ACFarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACFarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2024 at 7:30am
The Gutless General Light Pro Stock is a 7030 that is still running the 7000 series bell housing and rear end as well. Hes based out of Indiana. I went the easy route and used a D21 trans/rear end on my 7060.  Unless hes building a farm stock, he will be above 5 or 600 horse and need to figure out some way to hold the power.
Making A living everyday farming with and working on Allis Equipment
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allisstuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2024 at 3:29pm
I could see touching 500. I may be too skeptical of the power director from seeing them slip in farm applications. At a minimum the torque limiter has to go and a little more holding power in the power director is necessary. I was hoping for a better scenario with the input shaft. 

Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allisstuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2024 at 3:37pm
It's a bit of a guessing game where horsepower and weight classes will end up. It kind of depends on what the trans will hold. If it's good for 14,000 # 8.5mph and 500 horse, I can live with it, for now.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2024 at 3:50pm
The trans will do that. Any farm application you're seeing slipping is the torque limiter not the Power Director clutch. 
tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2024 at 11:45am
Locking the high low drive plates has been tried and will not work UNLESS the Low Range hydraulics are used with the clutch valve to start THEN add pressure to the high range piston for extra holding. The high range has no 'buffering' as does the low through the bellville washers.
IF they are tied together and pressure applied to both pistons, the high plates will slam in and burn before the low range applies.  Most Sleds today are easier to start than back in early times. 
The geroter pump supplies the clutch, the gear pump is the power steering - the piston pump can be looped and deshimmed some and should not consome hp but too much and have a brake issue - that can be overcome.  

Edited by tbran - 07 Jun 2024 at 11:51am
When told "it's not the money,it's the principle", remember, it's always the money..
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic