This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

why my gov surged and I couldnt win 1st place

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2010 at 9:03pm
Hey Brian go to wikipedia and search nitromethane top fuel . Dave you really should give credit to all printed resources. As in college plagiarism is not good.
Sponsored Links

mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2010 at 7:54am
here is a nice link to poke around in that darrin morgan suggested.
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2010 at 11:59am
In this thread I've read about piston ring "flutter".  Wouldn't a long rod ratio will help cover up the flutter?  Just picking out one example of how one thing is alwayse effected by another, so every improvemet we think we make we give up something else allong the way.  There's no free lunch.  There's likely a point for optimum rod to stroke length, stroke to bore and total displacement but it all revolves around other factors in which we are limeted on.  I do see some advantages to short rod engines but I see many dis advantages also, the same true for long rod engines.

You can beleve what numbers you want, but a 4.562 bore, 4.125 stroke and a 9.1" rod with a 1.1" comp height piston with some valve reliefs in it. With an un modified block we are in the 12.7" or slightly less deck height range and the sum of the parts is 12.206" No deck plate needed and the push rods came out of a 426 Allis engine.  The length is similar to the stock 201/226 engines and they are a nice substitute without makeing custom ones depending on the valvetrain geometry.   Add a head gasket, some valve reliefs, the large spark plug pocket in the old short heads, some modifications allong the way and the comp isn't terrably high, it's over 10:1 but it was not over 12:1 for a static ratio.  The cylinder is of pretty small displacement and anyone can run some rough numbers.  Crakning pressure on a compression gauge isn't much over 140 psi.  Valve overlap and cam design pretty well bleed it off at low speed.  We made our own roller rocker arms, posts, shart and rocker girdle.

Why wouldn't a properly tuned and built header make power?  People get to worked up over certain flow numbers and forget about mean flow times, velocity, etc.   What if the cam was holding both intake and exhaust valves open for a fair amount of time at TDC.  Would a good header not use exhaust gasses from one cylinder to scavange the next one in the fireing order?  Is that not the point of a tuned header?  There's a difference in the collector designes to use and I feel some offer an advantage over others.  The siamesed intake port of the head is the biggest restriction we face in the 201/226 engine.  Helping to maintin flow direction and velocity with help from a tuned header and a cam that allows such is of a huge help.  There's a fair bit of math involved in header design, the work involved in building and testing is probably more work than most wish to try, but it will pay larger gains than any other modification.

A billet cam is easy to make, 8620 steel machines easy and the grinding is about double the $$$ as it is to grind a normal cam.  I've made them and while no huge advantage it's not huge work or money.

An engine does not have to be big to make power, it just has to better designed.  There's been a fine example pointed out earlier with the 292 chev.

Edited by wi50 - 27 Oct 2010 at 12:01pm
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2010 at 1:25pm
A 2.2 rod ratio is  unheard of . well 2 is figured the best which the 14000 rpm formula 1 boys run for 500 miles. A man with that rod ratio would have to make his cam slow down so his valve timming events at low rpms would be with the crank angle if he didnt they would be  way out of whack to say the least .Half of 4.125 is  2.062+9.1+1.1=12.262 blocks i have measured have been 12.656-12.262=.394 now then if you had .042 for a normal head gasket =.436 gives a deck volume of 6.93 that equals 9.5 .1 static cr not counting the spark plug hole area or the valve reliefs wich you dont need being that far down in the hole. Your flow velocity wouldnt be much below 5000 rpms and it wouldnt lug at all wouldnt be any pay backs from advancing the cam either. turn it 7000 and it should breath well . I agree to well design . if I can only produce 1/2 a horsepower per cubic inch then you with that smaller engine have to produce 1 hp per cubic inch to be as good and with all the nascar testing on rod ratios I dont think your 9.1 rod with the max cr being 9.5 static with measurements you stated having that much advantage.  If your cam is bleeding it off like you state your dynamic cr would probably let you run tractor fuel the best. Since your a header man heres a article from Jerr Stahl he makes a living producing headers.

Edited by mlpankey - 27 Oct 2010 at 1:49pm
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2010 at 2:24pm

I'm not saying the engine is perfect or even close, but it runs good enough for me.  One can read all the articles and do all the math, but if it all made sense and everything happened text book, things would be easy, rods wouldn't bend, valves would't break and we wouldn't have to work on anything to improve it.

Once in a while we would get to run in a mixed class, 5000 pounds anything goes as far as naturally aspirated engines.  The "econo mods" something with a worked over small block chev, mopar, etc.  in an old tractor chassis.  The real good running M, 460, 77-88, or WC-D17 type tractors would more often than not outpull the "econo mods". I can't put much faith in any calculated horse power numbers, as those automotive engines may have had 400 hp, and us poor tractors only had 100-200 hp, but most often it was more usefull.

Edited by wi50 - 27 Oct 2010 at 2:31pm
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2010 at 2:35pm
the beauty of building a engine yourself is ts like burger king . you get it your way . Everyone overthinks a certain part and the underthinks another.  The great debate for rod length is reduces cylinder wall side loading. Just what is the coefecient drag on a forged aluminum piston against a oil film on a ductile iron  sleeve beats the dickens out of me but it doesnt show to be enough to ever so slightly mark up a piston  skirt.  our cam , headwork, etc works well with large stroke big bore combinations.The buda rods just take a pounding.
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2010 at 2:39pm
one of these winters I'm going to make a billet head for the engine.  I've got a pretty fancy CNC mill.   Crank'NCrank, yep, just figure it out and start cranking the wheels, though it may or may not work.

There was a fella here that made an overhead cam, alumnium head for his minne-mo.  Pretty neat and of course everyone was scared of it, but in reality it wasn't that tough to beat or compete with on any given night.
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2010 at 2:59pm
Now I would be interested in a aluminum cross flow cylinder head built like a 426 hemi  head . As far as valve location and ports . I really dont care if it had a combustion chamber or not . probably rather it not .
but then again if the crank whipping fom just three mains is a promblem then why build a head that could produce more power.

Edited by mlpankey - 27 Oct 2010 at 3:03pm
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2010 at 11:33pm
Originally posted by mlpankey mlpankey wrote:

Hey Brian go to wikipedia and search nitromethane top fuel . Dave you really should give credit to all printed resources. As in college plagiarism is not good.

What are you insinuating here, Mitch?
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2010 at 9:20am
Originally posted by DaveKamp DaveKamp wrote:

What are you insinuating here, Mitch?
  I thought your article and theres were word for word the same but at a  closer examination they are some differences in wording . I guess I jumped in haste.
Bee View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2010 at 3:34pm
That Darrin Morgan knows his crap.  He worked for Reher and Morrison for a long time then bounced over to a Nascar team.  I attended Joe Mondellos head porting school about 5 yrs ago and Joe and Darrin worked together to come up with a "wet flow" flow bench.  They would inject a fluorescent liquid into the ports and watch it under a black light to actually see the swirl during the valve movement.  MLP- do you own a flow bench?
Bob, North Carolina

1949 B
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2010 at 3:53pm

One thing to take in to account on all the information we have available is that most of this testing is done with engines designed with much better cylinder heads to start with.  Our old Allis heads are pretty poor in comparison, so I have to wonder how much is valid for us. 

I alwayse wanted to build an overhead cam head, one issue for the crossflow is that by the time one gets around the pushrods and head bolts, it may be better to have all the ports on one side.  Look at the Staab Machine billet heads for the Deere prostocks designed this way.

I have not seen it for a few years now but there was a fella up here that ran a 16hp Kohler,  it was the heavy aftermarket block to start with.  There was a deck plate made and a 2.3L Ford cylinder head cut off for 1 cylinder put on the deck plate.  It wasn't legal to run in the "pro stock" garden tractor classes but instead ran against the snomobile, 2 stroke and 4 stroke rocket engine tractors, mini mods, or whatever one wishes to call them.  The single cylinder did it's fair share of winning.

In my Allis head, it was set at 6 or 7 degrees in the mill and we bored the intake runners out of it, made larger tubes at an upward angle to the valves allong with some other modifications. The exhaust is adequate to start with so it didn't require much work from the start, but the intakes in these Allis heads really suck.  Nothing is impossiable but, some things just take a long time.  The old short wc heads probably have more potential in common form, the ones we sonic tested were able to have the stock intake runners bored larger than the later heads.   If I ever get handy with a camera and computer I'll figure out how to post some pictures of the project.  The block and head were built, pistons bought, than it was just a matter of figureing out the crank and rod combo, hence the short stroke hopeing to keep it togather. 

Edited by wi50 - 28 Oct 2010 at 4:00pm
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2010 at 10:47am
I use Dan Rawls flow bench here in Cleveland several shops have different machines and we do what we need to . It keeps the cost down of having to purchase every machine for one complete shop. Let me say I don't own a machine shop I guess my integrity in the community allows me to have access to shops and good friends are a  invaluable commodity.Joes up the road here in crossville .Last i knew of darren is at  rays with  profiler unless he moved recently . wi 50 do you have flow data. I have flow data on both heads stock and worked over with intake ports worked and smoothed transition from the 1.940 valve seat out to the intake gasket have to make them now. Also the the 37 model through the 40s head is different from the 50s era short head . So not all 3 inch heads are equal as well . the 45 4 inch head has some small differences than a latter d17 series or 170 series head as well . How does the exhaust valves fair with no water / coolant in the head especially on gas?  I dont spend much time on the exhaust side they flow good Well thats what the flow bech testing shown but I guess thats argumentive also. the 50s 3 head flows better at low lift below .250  but with the high winder wi 50 is building I would choose a z code combine head. but its burger king build it your way.

Edited by mlpankey - 29 Oct 2010 at 11:16am
Hudsonator View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hudsonator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2010 at 10:43am
DaveKamp - I really enjoy your discussion.  The load cell on the drawbar is a fantastic idea.

I don't pull anymore, probably won't.  However, I do still mess with engines as circumstances allow.  I've learned that porting and flow rate are relative to the Total Air Displacement required by the application - anything over is a waste and can hurt the overall performance.  The highest port velocity I can get with a flow rate that matches designed rpm, getting right up to the sonic limit, really cures alot of other induction problems.

There isn't much a WC can't do.

WD's just do it better.
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2010 at 11:33am

I agree with velocity thats why I run the piston speed at 3 to 5 grand that the same cubic inch small block would at 8500 rpm . I thought with the rod being thicker from I to I than a sbc stock rod even though the i width are the same would have been enough but when the piston speed  hit 10,000 fpm . It wasnt . As for port velocity mine runs 400 at the low and 721 at peak.

Edited by mlpankey - 06 Nov 2010 at 11:39am
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2010 at 12:07pm

I agree with velocity thats why I run the piston speed at 3 to 5 grand that the same cubic inch small block would at 8500 rpm . I thought with the rod being thicker from I to I than a sbc stock rod even though the i width are the same would have been enough but when the piston speed  hit 10,000 fpm . It wasnt . As for port velocity mine runs 400 at the low and 721 at peak.

http://www.allischalmers.com/new/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=20289&title=rod-subjects-up-again-on-yt-pulling-forum
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2010 at 12:13pm

Calculate two combinations side-by-side.

Stroke: (Inches) < =set_require_calc. size=6 value=6 name=stroke1> < =set_require_calc. size=6 value=3.75 name=stroke2>
Rod Length: (Inches) < =set_require_calc. size=6 value=7.375 name=rod1> < =set_require_calc. size=6 value=5.7 name=rod2>
Maximum Engine RPM: (Applies to both combinations) < =set_require_calc. size=6 value=6000 name=rpm_1>  
Begin Plot: (Degrees - Applies to both combinations) < size=1 name=x_min>< value=0 ed>0< value=10>10< value=20>20< value=30>30< value=40>40< value=50>50< value=60>60< value=70>70< value=80>80< value=90>90< value=100>100< value=110>110< value=120>120< value=130>130< value=140>140< value=150>150< value=160>160< value=170>170< value=180>180< value=190>190< value=200>200< value=210>210< value=220>220< value=230>230< value=240>240< value=250>250< value=260>260< value=270>270< value=280>280< value=290>290< value=300>300< value=310>310< value=320>320< value=330>330< value=340>340< value=350>350
Plot Range: (Degrees - Applies to both combinations) < size=1 name=x_range>< value=12>12< value=18>18< value=30>30< value=60>60< value=120>120< value=180>180< value=240>240< value=300>300< value=360 ed>360
< =F09. = value=Calculate name=Calc_> < = value=" Calculator" name=B2>
< =submit value="Plot Piston Velocity and Location" name=plot_>
< =submit value="Plot Piston Acceleration and Location" name=plot_>
Calculated information appears below
Maximum Piston Speed (MPS): (Feet/Minute) < =set_require_calc. size=6 value=-10198.9 name=dxdt1_max> < =set_require_calc. size=6 value=-6209.3 name=dxdt2_max>
Crank Angle at MPS: (Deg) < =set_require_calc. size=6 value=71.3 name=dxdt1_max_theta> < =set_require_calc. size=6 value=73.7 name=dxdt2_max_theta>
Piston Travel at MPS: (Inches) < =set_require_calc. size=6 value=2.61 name=dxdt1_max_x> < =set_require_calc. size=6 value=1.64 name=dxdt2_max_x>
Maximum Positive Piston Acceleration (MPPA): (g) < =set_require_calc. size=6 value=2163 name=dxdtdt1_max> < =set_require_calc. size=6 value=1390 name=dxdtdt2_max>
Crank Angle at MPPA: (Deg) < =set_require_calc. size=6 value=152.3 name=dxdtdt1_max_theta> < =set_require_calc. size=6 value=153 name=dxdtdt2_max_theta>
Piston Travel at MPPA: (Inches) < =set_require_calc. size=6 value=5.79 name=dxdtdt1_max_x> < =set_require_calc. size=6 value=3.61 name=dxdtdt2_max_x>
Maximum Negative Piston Acceleration (MNPA): (g) < =set_require_calc. size=6 value=-4319 name=dxdtdt1_min> < =set_require_calc. size=6 value=-2550 name=dxdtdt2_min>
Crank Angle at MNPA: (Deg) < =set_require_calc. size=6 value=0 name=dxdtdt1_min_theta> < =set_require_calc. size=6 value=0 name=dxdtdt2_min_theta>
Piston Travel at MNPA: (Inches) < =set_require_calc. size=6 value=0 name=dxdtdt1_min_x> < =set_require_calc. size=6 value=0 name=dxdtdt2_min_x>

DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2010 at 5:06pm
Looks like a handy calculator app... but it didn't post quite like you intended.

Hedrick's point (and well proven) was that port velocity is incredibly important when mining for horsepower... while having a low-restriction port is important for drag, high velocity not only takes advantage of the flow's mass and inertia, to generate greatest pressure differentials.  By getting those differentials, the engine's characteristics go from naturally-aspirated (and limited to basic airflow principles) to supercharged-by-nature from tuning.

And Jim's engines proved it.  Sissel's improvement to the Chev head was substantial, but combine Hedrick, and you've really got airflow concepts down.

The Allis motor, though, is a very unique bird.  The cylinder head was designed to be flat, and I'd be willing to bed they made it that way KNOWING that no matter WHAT went wrong in the foundry, or on the assembly line, the chambers would all have the same volume, the mating surfaces would be flat, and the valves would fit properly.  They got good swirl and remaining chamber consistency by making simple dished pistons... of course, that led to inherently consistent cylinder displacement- no need to 'cc' a head that is totally flat, and three pistons coming out of the same pattern-lathe, on the same day, were very likely to be the same.

It's actually pretty impressive... if you compare the two-cylinder Deere's numbers at Nebraska, you'll see that the big thumpers beat everybody in the hp/hr/gallon tests... they were above the W-series by a couple of HP, and several more for everyone else...  which stands to reason why many farmers bought the old poppers.

But something my grandfather told me years ago... when I was not more than 10 years old... when I asked him why he ran Allis machines...  was that although the Deere motors appeared to be much more fuel efficient in the tests, they couldn't beat the Allis motor's ability to be efficient at PART LOAD.  And there's quite a bit of reality here... when you're pulling a serious draft load, having the power on tap is important, but when you're cultivating, pulling a planter, or some other task where the governor is NOT at WFO, it's best to have an engine that doesn't draw down so much fuel.  Grandpa ran a two-cylinder Deere, and said that it WOULD get good economy under full load, but it was 'too thirsty' running lighter loads, while the W-series engines would use way less.

I'm thinkin' that the head/piston design, as well as other factors of the four-cylinder had alot to do with it.  Turning these things up for maximum horsepower puts those chambers in a totally different mode.  The engineering those guys did, however, is worthy of a good chunk'a respect.
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2010 at 5:17pm
combustion chambers in the auto world are getting smaller and smaller . They are even some talk that Arias is doing  r and d on a flat sbc head like the allis . No valve shrouding . The two cylinder johns are verry ineffecient . Mainly due to the firing order . Jim,Sizzle , Santucci were good but they followed GREG SELF on the welding two v8 heads together and running the pushrods outside the block. Larry Meux today post the best six cylinder flow numbers still utilizing the 292 six cylinder head Ive seen lately.  yes i didnt turn it into a word document but the numbers still are there.     hudsonater a calc for you.
Engine Bore:
Engine Stroke: >
RPM:
Port Area (CSA): >
Number of Cylinders:
Input your RPM and Stroke
< =submit value=Calculate name=submit>  

Edited by mlpankey - 06 Nov 2010 at 5:35pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic