This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"History" lesson?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2015 at 3:48pm
Actually I figured me putting down a 6030 Deere would bring this thread into some kind of abyss too. lol Well, maybe not on this website. Should I take that topic over to YT?
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Sponsored Links

Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2015 at 3:56pm
The environment as a rabbit hole that is actually a very funny image to me. So we lost allis in the rabbit hole. I saw that one she finds her way back out. There are just many fun ways to go with that one.
Yes I makes me feel better that other people would like an electric tractor.   At least I won't be the only one looking for the generator to help get my tractor off the back field.

As to taking anything JD to YT well that is at your own risk I haven't posted there only read the posts and the red and green paint battles get nasty.
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2015 at 4:04pm
I haven't mixed it up at YT in years. Haven't visited the site probably in over a year.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2015 at 5:04pm
Hi Dan-

"Dave I can see you like your oil."

If I was anyone else, I'd take this as offensive, as it is clearly suggests ad-hominum. I'll withold my inclination of discontent because I believe you totally misunderstand my position.

I am not 'married' to any type of energy source over another, I use them all, and experiment with the advancement of all.

Since this is a forum for Allis-Chalmers enthusiasts, and Allis-Chalmers as 'enthusiasts' see it, is no longer active in the farm and heavy-equipment industries, that makes this forum an "antique tractor forum". It is appropriate that the thread label is "History Lesson".

Just happesn to be that all but a scant few antique tractors run on anything other solid and liquid fuels. It also happens to be that the marque we all love, happened to be only 'slightly' involved in fossil-fuel-farming, it was a much, much greater presence in... and most didn't realize it- the electrical power industry... generation, transmission, and distribution. Yes, it included boilers fueled by fossil sources, to produce steam for reciprocating engines and steam-powered direct processes, and then on to turbines for mechanical and electrical power yield, they ALSO made kinetically-powered hydraulic turbines for direct power yield (millstream) and hydroelectric power generation. I'll note- VERY LARGE SCALE is somewhat of an understatement.

It also happened to be the company that fielded the greatest developments in... Hydrogen Fuel Cells, and would 'ya believe it if I told you that they put it IN A TRACTOR? Yes, and they put them in space as well.

Study deeper into rocketry, you'll find that the bulk of liquid-fuel rocketry was done with fuels as simple as kerosene. Hydrogen-Oxygen has it's benefits, but the engineering challenge, infrastructure cost, and safety make it rather 'exclusive'. Easier now than then, but keep in mind, one can build a rocket many different ways, but regardless of how well it launches a payload skyward, it doesn't work well pulling a plow, and the blast tends to start grass fires when baling hay.

Engineering is not a matter of being effective amidst principle constraints, it's a function of being effective amidst physical and economic practical constraints. It is a path of knowing not just nature, science, and math, but knowing and accepting history, and being able to learn from it in such a way that as technology becomes available to make advancement, that it is done wisely. That means, realizing that doing it in a 'new' way has it's benefits AND it's risks... and neither of those are often known at the outset.

If you want to experiment with converting your tractor to electric propulsion and drive, I'm all for it... and have no hesitation to help a guy come up with clever ways of overcoming issues... I happen to be extremely experinenced in electric power generation, transmission, distribution, traction propulsion, variable-frequency AC drives... as well as working with other fun things like solar, steam, digesters, gasification, windpower, grid-tie and stand-alone inverters, and oh- converting surplus three-phase industrial welders to single-phase for guys that want robust machines on-the-cheap.

I don't, however, have any inclination to doubt or dispense with proven material history... nor do I dismiss the suggestion of mathematics. There are very few things we can actually trust, the two most trustworthy, are gravity and triangles. Cats not so much... but always gravity and triangles.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic