This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brush/Junk Pile Burn

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brush/Junk Pile Burn
    Posted: 06 May 2018 at 9:03am
Have had this growing brush junk pile going for about 5 years now. It's big. Been wanting to burn but haven't gotten around to getting a permit yet for this year. It's free, just haven't done it. Just all the grass mowed all around it and my youngest asked me if we might ought to burn it's beings it's green and no wind and we have had some rain.

I was a little apprehensive about it because of the permit but thought about it and told him to call it in anyway. Well they changed the system and it is automated now. No headway there so I called a county cop friend and he said do it anyway only wait till dark if you don't remember what's in there. Black smoke. He said he did it just last weekend. He doesn't have a permit either. OK then.

About that time a neighbor on the corner of the section lit something up an was throwing black smoke 200' in the air. 3/4 mile away. I waited till almost dark and lit mine.
Got going pretty good, few smaller explosions, all was fine. Had the skid steer on hand for grass fires and sure as chit here comes the fire police.
He got a little pissy about the permit and I told him I tried to call it in and he even said it was a PITA now. Turns out he wasn't even looking for me, it was the other guy.
I got a warning and a stern talking to.

Been doing the same chit for 25 years and only called it in maybe 3 times.
Got to be the infiltration of city people. No one even knows there is a house back in here but the neighbors and google.
Got out of that one.

Sponsored Links

Clay View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2018 at 9:52am
Next time, tell them you were welding earlier in the day and it caught fire after you were done.
When the fire cop comes around, tell him you had things under control and did not believe it was worth bothering the fire department. 
Be nice and thank him for his concern. 
johnkc View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnkc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2018 at 9:57am
Yeah, when the Fire Captain speaks, a person seems to listen!
I got my ONE warning about 15 years ago.
I support the development of hybrid automobiles and alternative fuels as I need DIESEL fuel for my ALLIS CHALMERS!
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2018 at 10:38am
Never get an answer at the FD when we call. I then call the PD and they ok it. I was called in on recently and lucky the FD guy was our neighbor and a good guy.
Clay View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2018 at 11:33am
Our local fire marshal is a good guy.  I always call him and discuss my burn plans before I call the county dispatch for a permit.
It is a good idea to check the weather on www.wunderground.com or http://www.usairnet.com/cgi-bin/launch/code.cgi
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2018 at 11:48am
Fire permits up here are $10 for the calendar year, so I'd go in Jan 1 to get my money's worth! Last one the chief 'forgot' to put the date on it..hmmm...a 'forever permit' !
Since I know the local fire captain, Scott, I never get visits, cept when we 'talk Allis'. He even got MOSt of the drivers to NOT turn on the very,very LOUD, eye piercing sirens until AFTER they pass my place. Told him, I'll have a heart attack one day otherwise... he understood. Makes me wonder just how friggin loud it is IN the firetruck.

Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
m16ty View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m16ty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2018 at 12:39pm
In the county here, there are no permits. Only in the city are you required to get a permit.

Reminds me of when I worked at the local Agco/ Kubota dealer while I was in High School. Some small tractors and implements came in wooden crates. Our standard procedure was to haul the crates out back and burn them. The owner never would get a permit and we were usually ok, as long as you kept the fire small, where you couldn’t see it from the road.

This particular day, we had the fire going, and here comes the owner with a full 55 gal drum of used oil in the bucket of a loader. He dumped that drum right on top of the already hot fire.

We all stepped back and watched. As the drum got hotter, it started poping and making all sorts of noises, and the pressure on the drum increased. Finally the thin metal of the drum had had enough, it split right in the seam where the top and the sides are connected. The hot oil shot straight up into the air, being ignited my the fire as it escaped. This was right after the time of the first Gulf War. You remember that when Sadam got run out of Kuwait and lit all those oil wells on fire? This was exactly what that reminded me of. People were stopping on the Hwy and coming out of neighboring businesses to see what was going on. It was so hot we had to back way away from the fire. It wasn’t long until we heard the sirens. In the end, we had just about every emergency agency in the county there, and they were mad. Turns out the owner of the dealership just got a stern talking to, he was friends with all the local officials.
Tom6070 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom6070 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2018 at 12:46pm
Foggy mornings are your best friend for fires. Maybe it doesn't get foggy out in the plains. When I need to burn something , I wait until the school has a fog delay, then grab the matches.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2018 at 1:48pm
You should have had the entire family out there roasting hot dogs when the Fire Police rolled upBig smile
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
Real pullers don't have speed limits.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2018 at 5:47pm
Usedta have problems wif the one neighbor, on the smoky side.  He'd call in a burn barrel.  So I dug a hole, about 16' deep, in the center, and piled all the dirt, around it, in a circle, cept for the eastern side where I would push brush in from.  I would wait fer the first snow, in winter, and there was about an inch on the ground, I'd light her off.  Way it was situated, you could only see it from a spot or 2 on an isolated back road...Wink
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2018 at 6:43pm
Don't mess around with the "Fruits and Nuts" clean air out here. The Air Resources Broad(ARB) has the Snowflakes thinking they could live forever if they can breath clean air. Fire department doesn't charger for a permit but ARB whats $50 or more. Last I knew $1000 if you burned on a day that did not suit the ARB.
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2018 at 7:02pm
We got to get a Burn Permit for the calendar year, $5.00.  Not supposed to burn treated or painted lumber, or any of those polluting other items, or burn after dark.  That's just for burn piles.  Campfire and burn barrels are okay anytime.  I have a 250 gallon oil drum for my burn barrel.  Don't use it much, but it's nicer that the regular old 55 that I used to use.  I cut a hole in the end to load it.

Edited by john(MI) - 06 May 2018 at 7:03pm
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2018 at 7:47pm
not even gonna mention my secrets!
allis g View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allis g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2018 at 10:47pm
That's correct Ray APCD is a pain in the behind.  Heck last year I was burning with a permit and some idiot called it in. Calfire showed up and laughed.
CaseyCreek View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaseyCreek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2018 at 9:35am
I am glad that you all have found solutions to getting rid of brush, but you have reminded me of how lucky we are in L.A.  I get rid of some pretty good size piles every summer and all I am asked to do is notify the local 911 operator so that they don't send out the FD on a false alarm. 

Oh, they DO ask me to call for help if I need it.  Good system.
D17 Series III,D17 Series IV, 185
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2018 at 7:21pm
We have to call county dispatch and let them know, I always tell them I am burning brush in the fence line and the garbage  from the farm. Don't be specific about anything else. They always ask what time you will be done burning, well you know how that goes you get a good pile going it can burn a couple of days. Thats not the answer they are looking for.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2018 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by allis g allis g wrote:

That's correct Ray APCD is a pain in the behind.  Heck last year I was burning with a permit and some idiot called it in. Calfire showed up and laughed.

Only good lately is Calfire is tired of the air copes and are not friendly anymore.

I was just told if a Snowflake calls about a smoke even if you called Calfire and told them you are burning with a permit,they will roll out so they can report all is well. 

It would appear that Calfire has open seasonal fire stations as of May 1st. Running 17 or 18 miles to town for groceries every now in the fire truck. 
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2018 at 11:29pm
went in the other day for my yearly permit, told them I had a whole bunch of tires I needed burned! the look on their face was priceless! lol
Clay View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 9:33am
I helped a friend burn a brush pile yesterday. The day before I gave him the number for the county dispatcher.  
Well he called them on Sunday and they told him ok but did not give him a permit number.
We had a big fire yesterday and the local fire marshal showed up.  
Turns out my friend dialed the wrong number.  The number turned out to be a funeral home.  He must have talked to an answering service.  Perhaps the answering service thought he was asking if a cremation needed a burn permit.  LOL
When all was figured out, there was no problem with the fire marshal and we all had a good laugh.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic