This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WTB: 12vdc NC relay

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Russ-neia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WTB: 12vdc NC relay
    Posted: 10 Apr 2011 at 2:28pm
Working on a project and I need a half-dozen 12vdc normally closed relays capable of transmitting 5-10 amps.  Can someone point me in the right direction for a part at NAPA or specific vehicle and use I can get some from a salvage yard?  Prefer weather-tight case with spade or threaded-stud connectors.  Thanks!
The innovators offer what others will imitate.
Sponsored Links

omahagreg View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omahagreg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2011 at 2:35pm
I don't have any specifics, but Radio Shack might have something as well.
Greg Kroeker
1950 WD with wide front and Freeman trip loader
Roddo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roddo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2011 at 2:43pm
Pretty much any square 5 pin relay in a Ford vehicle will work for you.   They usually have a map on the side that looks like this:

85 and 86 are your control side.  If you want NC you connect power in to 30 and out from 87a. 
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2011 at 4:48pm
Roddo's right on the money with the diagram.Try a 'foglight' relay,any autoparts place will have them, about $5 in the USA( $10 here in Canada..it's a 'freetrade' thing)PS ALL made in China too....
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 7:57am

If yer' thinking Automotive electrical, just think B&B. We have piles of SPST relays in stock if thats what yer lookin' for. 4 terminal and 5 terminal. Also have Marine style relays in stock. 30/40 amp rating and weathertite. Relay plugs, holders, modules, and our own relay panels up to 8 relays. Pretty much anything you may need. We have so much Automotive electrical stuff in stock, it'll make yer' head spin. No brag, just fact! . Drop a line if interested.....

Steve@B&B
Nathan (SD) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan (SD) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 10:45am
Normally closed means that when you put power to the relay the main circuit on the relay will go dead. That will be a odd one to find in 12V.  Mouser.com  has alot of electrical.
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 11:58am
Nathan, see Roddo's post. That configuration for a relay is what Ford has used from the beginning of electric fuel pumps and electronic engine controls. A late 80's Ford vehicle fuel pump/ EEC relay fits exactly what Russ is looking for.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
Russ-neia View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Russ-neia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 2:39pm
Thanks for the help guys!  Roddo's schematic helped me immensely - I had seen it before on relays on equipment, but didn't stick in my mind that all of those relays had BOTH circuits.  I looked around yesterday, and there are 12 of those relays just on our pull-type New Holland chopper.  More are under the dash of my 8010 and in our skidloader.  I, like Nathan, assumed that NC would be a rare find.

What I'm doing, is putting Ag Leader electric row unit clutches on my planter.  They need power to open the clutch/shut off the row.  The GPS monitor I'm hoping to use is configured to turn power off to shut off the device (like sprayer valves), so I needed a way to reverse the on/off functions.

Thanks once again for pointing me in the right direction!
The innovators offer what others will imitate.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic