This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Murphy rollor rockers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fields Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Murphy rollor rockers
    Posted: 06 Dec 2015 at 9:08pm
Been tossing the idea around of upgrading to rollor rockers. In a 241 inch wd45 cr of say 10.0 to 1 running 2000 rpms. Will they inproved the performance enough to justify the cost.
Sponsored Links

dgerth View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgerth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2015 at 10:08pm
Well I think so with my WD. Justification for the expense is your call, but it sure helped my ol girl! 
dgerth
Zaddison View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zaddison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2015 at 11:51pm
Wondered the same thing myself. They are pretty pricey for a allis.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2015 at 7:02am
Unless the rocker arm ratio is different, I wouldn't spend my $$$$$ on something like that...2,000 RPM?? really.....8,000 RPM maybe.
Fields View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fields Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 11:54am
if i'm right stock is 1.46 and rollers are 1.85.
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 12:45pm
just make sure you have enough piston to valve clearance. 
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
Zaddison View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zaddison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 1:13pm
how far do the stock valves open

Edited by Zaddison - 10 Dec 2015 at 10:49pm
Fields View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fields Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2015 at 12:05pm
my one cam card says .316 cam lift.
Zaddison View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zaddison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2015 at 9:20pm
I talked to Jeff at murphys yesterday and he said 10%-15% gain in horsepower. $430 and a hour of your time to install them isn't bad for even 10% in my eyes.

Edited by Zaddison - 10 Dec 2015 at 9:21pm
nborga87 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nborga87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2015 at 6:58pm
i had some in a 260 ci 10.5:1 wd 45 i think the performance was well worth the money and the quality of murphys stuff is top notch
Fields View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fields Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2015 at 7:46am
Is the 260 inch a noticeable increase over the 240 set up. 5ossed the idea around of doing either one.
TennMatt1 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TennMatt1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2015 at 10:10pm
I think I'm gonna get a set but I've been looking at some different cam grinds as well. Gotta do some measuring as well. A friend of mine put a set in his engine and didn't account for valve clearance...Lots of damage.
1954 WD45
mattb View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2015 at 1:00pm
I cut the pushrod side of my rocker arms down and welded them back together gained .080 of lift at the valves
alchpuller View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alchpuller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2015 at 10:42pm
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alchpuller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2015 at 10:52pm
Cut the rockers on the push rod size, shorten the , width of a chap saw blade,I built a jig for conforminity, worked good with a short head, the push rod holes need reworked on tall head.you will notice the difference in power.
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2015 at 6:32am
Would be more gain if he made them with bearings in them. I tried putting bearings in them, but his hole tollerence was so far off that some was too loose for bearings even with Loctit.     MACK
patrickmull View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickmull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2015 at 2:31pm
alchpuller are you cutting them and welding them back together 

wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2015 at 6:00pm
I used some IH 361 and 407 diesel rocker arms long ago. They are a 1.65 ratio. I don't rember if I had to hone the rockers slightly to fit the allis shaft, or if I used the IH shaft and made the rocker posts / mounts.
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alchpuller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2015 at 4:09pm
Be careful when welding the rocker that it does not get too hot, bearing material will melt, keep a spray bottle with water handy,
do not get in a hurry when welding, you will have about 1.65 ratio,
The cut rockers will give about the same results as a cam change.
Big Orange View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Orange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 6:27pm
Has anybody on hear tried Murphy's 1.75 rockers in a 426, without fly cutting the pistons?    
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 12:34pm
I know of one guy who did, and said they were very close with a stock cam. Put a ground cam in then definitely need valve reliefs. I keep the heavy duty pushrods for the 426 in stock. They are still 3/8" diameter, so they drop right in. they are made by Smith Bros. to my specs. 
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
Big Orange View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Orange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 5:26pm
Ed   I wonder just how close, is safe for stock 2,200 RPMs, maybe .040 ? As this tractor is a field tractor not a puller. as you know ACs smoke a lot in the field, and the injection timing has to be faster to help with the smoke. ACs use a 1.45 rocker arm ratio, while JDs & IHs use 1.6 to 1.7 & the injection is a lot slower with no smoke. that's the reason i am trying the 1.75 rockers.    
mgburchard View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgburchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 6:06pm
One should open the lash.001 for every point of rocker ratio increase .
NEVER green View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NEVER green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by Big Orange Big Orange wrote:

Ed   I wonder just how close, is safe for stock 2,200 RPMs, maybe .040 ? As this tractor is a field tractor not a puller. as you know ACs smoke a lot in the field, and the injection timing has to be faster to help with the smoke. ACs use a 1.45 rocker arm ratio, while JDs & IHs use 1.6 to 1.7 & the injection is a lot slower with no smoke. that's the reason i am trying the 1.75 rockers.    

I put them in with a stock cam and at 3000 plus rpms bent several stock pushrods, intake and ex.
2-8050 1-7080 6080 D-19 modelE & A 7040   R50       
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic