This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What is a good skid steer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BennyLumpkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2012 at 9:19am
I've had two Bobcats and hate both....had nothing but problems.....blew the motor in my current one at 1000 hours. Dropped a liner and grenaded the Duetz. Not a cheap fix.
Central PA Allis Express
1934 WC254
1945 WF
1945 WC135755
1951 WD68085
1953 WD45-150217
1957 WD45D-230744D
B110
Sponsored Links

NEJim View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NEJim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2012 at 9:21am
I've had a Bobcat 610, 873, and 2  S250's over the years.  I wouldn't have anything else. 
67olds View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67olds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2012 at 9:49am
I really like working on the case. I have ran an 1845C and 75X, the controls are a little nicer in the 1845, but just about everything else is better in the 75. I dont like the bobcats i have run because of the foot controls. Gehls are very tough machines. I also dont like CATs just because of the joystick control but the power from that machine was really amazing. Ive heard nothing but bad things about JD as far as reliability goes. The case machines are the ones where i have the most experience. Very dependable. 
67olds View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67olds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2012 at 9:52am
67olds View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67olds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2012 at 9:53am
Steve-Ohio View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve-Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2012 at 3:44pm
Have owned two New Hollands and they have been great, highly recommend them!
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2012 at 12:27am
I've got to put in a good word for JCB Robots.  They are the ones with only one lift arm so you can get in from the side.  The latest models are really easy to enter and exit, my 185 has a bit of a step up and back down but still easier then climbing over the loader bucket.
The 185 has a Perkins 72 Hp engine, the newer ones have a JCB made turbo diesel.
Balance is quite good, handles a 1.3 yd bucket with compost, too big for dirt.  The 3/4 yd bucket is fine. 
JCB is a family owned business in England but some of their equipment is built in the US.
I bought mine as a repo from an ethanol plant in Minn for $10,000 with 1100 hr.
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2012 at 6:30am

A skid steer loader is a pretty basic piece in reality. Diesel engines by X, Y or Z. Hydraulics by X or Y. Yes there are boom differances and self leveling linkages but what I am getting to here is buy one that is worn out or abused and all brands are junkers. Treat it like  POS and they all break and cause heart burn. We are chronic cheap skates when it comes to such but when we were shopping we shopped condition/size and price with no band bias and ended up with a 2000 2040 Mustang a couple years ago for a song. It has done everything we asked of it. We put a 100 or so hours  year on it and we have had zero problems with it. The Bobcat snobs turn up thier collective noses at such as they are a basic unit as skid steers go but that is just fine with me, I dont make a living inside of it I just want it to start and operate when I hop in it.  Ours has a fully enclosed cab which is nice for pushing snow and has been converted to the universal qucik attach, which is nessisary IMO as is the third valve we have.   I agree with one of the other posters about attachments. If a person "needs" a skidsteer he needs to own a bucket, forks and a grapple.  Everything else we rent for cheap when we need it.  We gave $4500, I dont have to take in work to make the paymemts, LOL

Edited by Butch(OH) - 05 Jun 2012 at 6:39am
Scott(GA) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by 67olds 67olds wrote:

I really like working on the case. I have ran an 1845C and 75X, the controls are a little nicer in the 1845, but just about everything else is better in the 75. I dont like the bobcats i have run because of the foot controls. Gehls are very tough machines. I also dont like CATs just because of the joystick control but the power from that machine was really amazing. Ive heard nothing but bad things about JD as far as reliability goes. The case machines are the ones where i have the most experience. Very dependable. 

Never mind the skid steers...

What's the story with the L-29?

Best regards,

Scott
LNG Luke View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LNG Luke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 9:59pm
A CAT with pilot controls is a nice one, one hand dose forward reverse left right and one is a joystick control for the bucket. I run heavy equiptment for a living and this is what I prefer to run you can do some real fine grading with one and if your driving it down the road you only need one hand if u get one with the two speed in it it is real nice for moving snow too
67olds View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67olds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by Scott(GA) Scott(GA) wrote:

[QUOTE=67olds]]

Never mind the skid steers...

What's the story with the L-29?

Best regards,

Scott

that's my girlfriends dads. We were moving it out of the barn where it has been for quite a few years. Yes he has a jet next to his tractors. Haha
Moonlighter View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moonlighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2012 at 7:12am
I would recommend New holland or the 4 digit Deere machines have ran several myself grew up in the midwest working on several large dairy farms and tried most models and I would say the NH and deeres were best.  The one large farm had 3 machines that worked almost around the clock it seemed like and in rough conditions they were 4 digit deere machines, talked to the owner a couple years ago and they added on some newer deere machines and started having serious problems at 2000-4000hours where the older ones didn't have issues till about 8-9000 hours.  He wishes they still made good machines and will rebuild the old ones when it is time
ACFarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACFarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2012 at 12:26pm
New Holland hands down....
Making A living everyday farming with and working on Allis Equipment
TedBuiskerN.IL. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TedBuiskerN.IL. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2012 at 7:18pm
If you value your knees, stay away from the Bobcat foot controls.  Most farmers who have used them for years are looking forward to knee replacements.  Get a Gehl.
Most problems can be solved with the proper application of high explosives.
joshjohndeere View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joshjohndeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2012 at 8:15pm
i am a john deere tech and have ran new hollands and bobcats and gehls and deeres.  i would go for the gehl first the new holland second and deere third. i dont like bobcats they tip too easy especially when u have no bucket or pallet forks on them they are just too tippy for me.  as for deere everyone on here was talking about 320 deeres being crap i would agree because every dealer pushed them and they were a small frame machine hat everyone thought was big.  the new D series is very awesome and technician friendly but i still prefer the gehls and newhollands.. my preference on the gehls is the 7600, 7800, 7810, and 7610's.. the other series in gehls dont have the strecthed out wheel base that i like.  my only problems with new hollands is the motors in the older ones didnt have the greatest longevity that they should. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic