This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WD spark plugs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Renko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WD spark plugs
    Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 9:06pm
Its been covered many times before but I'm thinking my Allis Chalmers people can help us out. Whats the best spark plug to use?? I remember to avoid champion!! The ol gal could use some new plugs on her 61st birthday. Ryan
Sponsored Links

Dipstick In View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dipstick In Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 9:13pm
Marion Klutzke told me AC LM 49's. They sure work in my 49 WD that was last overhauled in 65 when I got out of the army!!!!!
You don't really have to be smart if you know who is!
Bertman View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bertman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 9:18pm
AC 45 or R45
50 B   38? WC
41 C   50 WD
55 WD-45
49 M-M UTU
coming soon Massey 44 and a unstyled WC
Tedin NE-OH View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tedin NE-OH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 9:25pm
If it has a magneto do not use a resistor plug like R45 as over time it may damage the mag.
Ryan Renko View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Renko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 9:29pm
Its got a distributor on it.  Once again, thanks for all your input!! The ol gal needs alittle tune up!!
Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 9:52pm
I've been real happy with the Autolite 295's. They seem to work the best in my hard workin' WD!!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Renko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 9:56pm
You figure a tractor this old that was purchased new on our farm deserves to be treated great in her golden years!! LOL
Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 9:58pm
When we sold them we liked AC 45, AC 47, and AC 48, depending on the condition of the engine.  That said reports - expecially from SteveNJ - indicate that the Auto Light plugs are now the best. 
Good Luck!
Bill Long
se iowa picker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote se iowa picker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 10:01pm
I have had good luck with autolight and ac but then I never really had that much trouble with champion.We ran them on this farm since grandpa was farming in the 40s and never had that much trouble with them. Sometimes its just personal opinion as much as anything.
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 11:01pm
Its preference actually. Some folks have never had problems with Champions. I never had any luck with Champs personally. Why? Who knows. AC, NGK's and of coarse Autolites work well. Tried these three brands in my machines and they all worked well. We sell Autolites, and have all the ranges for AC applications. The 295's work great in rebuilt engines, as well as a worn engine. The 295 plug is just a little warmer, and can be used in either Distributor fired, or Mag fired engines.... HTH
Steve@B&B
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Renko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 11:11pm
Its a great tractor and has M&W pistons in it. Will that affect the plug choice?? Ryan
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 11:32pm
I never used to think it was anything other than preference, until I had a Champion spit the center ceramic right out of the sleeve... and when I started asking around, without offering the brand name, everyone said "Champions do that". 

They followed with notes about the crimps on the collars being lousy... they said "Spray a little light oil on the crimp while it's running- you'll see it bubble- it's leaking compression".

And they were right.  I checked my mowers, my motorcycles, my cars, and my boats.  Only ones that generated bubbles... were Champions.

Unfortunately, the engine that had the crimp failure, not all of the ceramic made it out of the cylinder... a chip broke off, and fell into the #1 cylinder, jammed between piston and wall, stuck the ring, and scored the cylinder beyond repair.  Lesson learned, tuition paid.
HagerAC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HagerAC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 11:48pm
Have very little trouble with autolite 303 here.
30+ A-Cs ranging from a 1928 20-35, to a 1984 8070FWA, Gleaner R52
Dans 7080 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dans 7080 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2011 at 12:22am
AC-Delco R45S are the only thing I run.
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2011 at 6:54am
The 303's work well also. No problem with them. They are just a fuzz colder in the heat range catagory. The resistor plugs are fine in non-Mag fired engines. Keeps the nieghbor's TV sets from going bonkers. I have resistor wires and plugs on the IB so it doesn't bother the neighbor's TV when I'm moving the property, but of coarse, that's Distributor fired. Runs fine...
Orange Tractors View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orange Tractors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2011 at 11:00pm
I have tried most of the recommended sparkplugs in my WD. Granted mine desperately needs another overhaul, but I only use it twenty or thirty hours a year.

The only ones that I have found that do not foul out with oil are the NGK equivelant to the Champion J-8. I am running a distributor until I can get the mag rebuilt.

Robert
Slowmotion View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slowmotion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 1:54pm
The plugs in my WD appear to take a socket slightly larger than 13/16. A 21mm will go over, but a bit loosely. I've been trying to find the socket size for the plugs that have been discussed, but I don't see it anywhere.
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 2:01pm
The Champion J-8 was a good plug until around 1970. What caused them to go down hill, I don't know.
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
DougS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by Dans 7080 Dans 7080 wrote:

AC-Delco R45S are the only thing I run.

That's a resistor plug. Nothing at all wrong with that unless you are using a magneto.
EPALLIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EPALLIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 7:19pm
Used AC 45 for 30 years. Never encountered any issue of any kind....
DougS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 8:51pm
AC45 is not the same as an R45. Any plug of any manufacturer that I'm aware of with an R in the part number is a resistor plug. It's no problem with battery ignition. I'd use nothing but resistor plugs and suppressor wires with electronic ignition, but resistor plugs can cause arching within the magneto in magneto systems.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic