This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hay Wagon Framing ????s

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCAllisnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hay Wagon Framing ????s
    Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 8:05pm
I am finally working on my hay wagon / parade wagon project.  I have the running gear apart for cleaning and paint.  I can't decide how to frame the bed.  I want to be able to put reasonable sturdy side boards on to help contain passengers at hay rides and parades.  I have two framing options in mind:

1 - 4x6 treated runners front to back, with 4x4 cross memembers side to side2 or 3' on center, with the floor boards running front to back.

2 - 4x6 treated runners front to back, with the bed boards laid side to side.

Option one gives me cross members to mount brackets to for the side board up rights.  Option 2 keeps the bed a few inches closer to the ground and eliminates a lot of materials (4x4s), but how can I securely fasten side board?

Any input is welcome, pictures of how you've done would be awesome.  I feel like I am trying to reivent the wheel, and this should be fairly simple.

I have a Kory 8 ton gear, but it will be PO#1 with cream wheels.

Thanks,

Adam
Sponsored Links

Bull View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 8:10pm
Option # 1 would be by far the better way to go.Many of the original boxes had a metal band on the outside with stake pockets welded in.
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 8:20pm
Sandwich 2 2x4's over and below ends of boards.By connecting the boards together strengthens the end and gives you plenty to connect stake pockets to.Kind of like a fly rafter.
Option 1 would be stronger but option 2 would be a little lower and cheaper but not as strong,if only using as hayride wagon option 2 will be plenty strong.
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
old220 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old220 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 8:21pm
Option 1 is the best , more strength, and higher clearence for wheels as well as place to mount sideboards. I have 7 wagons built this way on Kory gears.
Eldon (WA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eldon (WA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 8:24pm
I just bought 3 New Holland gears and have been thinking about the same thing.  I like to keep the bed low, so I think this time I will try 4x8 stringers and rough sawn 2x8 (full dimension) with a skirt board screwed on around the perimeter on one and see how it works. I can build an 8 x 16 bed for around $200.
ALLIS EXPRESS!
This year:
NCAllisnut View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCAllisnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 8:42pm
OK, if I go option 1, is 4x6 heavy enough for the runners, and how do I attach the 4x4s?  Lag bolts, carriage bolts through both beams?  What kind of spacing on the 4x4s?

I have thought about doing option 2 with the 'fly rafter' and an angle iron rim with stake pockets welded to it.

Thanks, keep the ideas and pics coming.

Adam

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eldon (WA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 8:47pm
Get some 1 1/2" x1 1/2" angle iron and use 3/8" lag screws.
ALLIS EXPRESS!
This year:
ChuckLuedtkeSEWI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChuckLuedtkeSEWI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 8:56pm
For a hay wagon for just riders, I would go with option two with a twist.   I would go with a tongue and groove board for extra strength locking them together, and then do Eldon's (and others) idea of running a angle iron around the perimeter with stake pockets welded to it.   The angle iron with the pockets not only makes for good side rail and backboard mounting, but also it protects the ends of the boards from getting all banged up.   My dad's last hay wagon was built just like option two and we used to handstack that sucker to the clouds and we never broke anything on it, other then the backrail support mounts which were underbuilt the first time anyways, but the bed held up to this very day.   I still want to bring it home but at least by my dad's it is in a barn staying dry. 
1955 WD45 diesel 203322 was my dad's tractor, 1966 D15 23530, 1961 HD3 Crawler 1918, 1966 D17 IV 83495, 1937 WC 41255, 1962 D19 6221
GBACBFan View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBACBFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 9:04pm
I did an option 2 8'x16' wagon rack with 3"x10" rough cut white oak stringers and a 2"x6" treated deck, and a 2"x4" treated rail bolted on the top edge of the two sides. That was 30 some years ago, and every summer they're still stacking seven high bales on it, and no damage to date.

Until the treated lumber deck has "weathered" or aged a bit, it is very slippery with a little loose hay on it.

Edited by GBACBFan - 25 Apr 2011 at 9:16pm
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they
are genuine." - Mark Twain
se iowa picker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote se iowa picker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 9:05pm
the 4x6 should be plenty heavy as we have built several hay racks over the years that way and the angle iron is really nice to work with  but we used carriage bolts instead of lag bolts but either will work great
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 9:21pm
If you put cross members on stringers get a long drill bit and put 1/2" ready rod all the way thru,  you just have to countersink the nut on top where you put the floor.
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 9:54pm
option 1 is your best bet, can always add one more step up, and attach the brackets to the 4x4's, also run that 2x4 all the way around the edge too...build it heavy and then can forget about it not being heavey nuff for anything you might want to use it for! the 2x4's will help to keep things from rolling off like pipe hauling, and will help hold hay bales from sliding off on a side hill, we use carriage bolts thru the 4x4's and 4x6's. and if wanting to save a little money, 1x12's work great for the top boards rather than 2x12's, depending on how many 4x4 cross pieces you put in! we use 5 4x4's on an 20 ft bed. 
Allen Dilg View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allen Dilg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 10:07pm
  We restored  3 AC  #605 wagon gears  and cut up used teltphone poles to make 8' x18' hay racks,  6x6 stringers  4x4 cross members, and 2x10 deck lumber,  had to stack them 3 high to conserve floor space in the barn.
ac45 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 8:33am
I would go with something heavier than a 4 by 6 for the stringers. A 4x6 will flex quite a bit and if it is treated it probably has the heart in it, and quite a few defects.  I'd  laminate (3) 2 by 10's or (2) 2 by 12's, either is much stronger than a 4 by 6,  (2)  2x10 should also be stronger you actually may need the increased height for wheel clearance depending on your gear

Edited by ac45 - 26 Apr 2011 at 8:34am
Bill (E.C.MO) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill (E.C.MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 9:44am
NCAllisnut,

ac45 is spot on, two 2x10's---side by side---is the stronger way to go for your lengthwise runners.  By laminating two boards any grain defects in lumber can be compensated for.  Height is directly related to tire clearance.  If you can straddle the tires with crossmembers (4x4's work well), you'll have a lower-profile wagon, it's a matter of doing the math and spacing them evenly at 2' or less to get even spacing from end-to-end.

there are any number of ways to do sideboards or stakepockets.  For the low, creeper speed hayrides we have, I didn't bother since the rig is barely moving.

Here's my 601 "hayride wagon":

Edited by Bill (E.C.MO) - 26 Apr 2011 at 11:22am
A-C's currently on the farm: B, CA, 2 D-17 D's, One Eighty, ass't implements.
Steve-Ohio View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve-Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 10:19am
Blll- nice AC gears-----what is length and width of bed?  
Thanks---Steve Ohio
Bill (E.C.MO) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill (E.C.MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 10:36am
Thanks Steve.

As I remember, the bed is 7'W x 12'L. 
A-C's currently on the farm: B, CA, 2 D-17 D's, One Eighty, ass't implements.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eldon (WA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 12:25pm
Here is a pic of mine that I threw together 3 years ago cause I needed a wagon. I used 4x6 on the ends with rough sawn 2x4 in the middle. Screwed down new 2x6 lumber for the deck.  It is holding up well, just not the best looking rack.  No that is not me in the pic, it is my buddy Fred trying to relive his hippy days LOL!

ALLIS EXPRESS!
This year:
NCAllisnut View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCAllisnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 7:57pm
OK, I think I'll go with option 1.  Should I stick with double 2x10 stringers for a 16' bed?  Do I need to stay with 4x4s 2' on center for cross members? 

Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by Eldon (WA) Eldon (WA) wrote:

Here is a pic of mine that I threw together 3 years ago cause I needed a wagon. I used 4x6 on the ends with rough sawn 2x4 in the middle. Screwed down new 2x6 lumber for the deck.  It is holding up well, just not the best looking rack.  No that is not me in the pic, it is my buddy Fred trying to relive his hippy days LOL!

Eldon what is on the front of that wagon?????
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eldon (WA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 9:07pm
Well ya know....those kids like an old fastion putt putt hayride, so we use my wife's tractor....it does a good job pulling a wagon LOL!
ALLIS EXPRESS!
This year:
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic