This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D17 Series 1

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim8975 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D17 Series 1
    Posted: 05 Sep 2011 at 9:37am
Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum and I just bought a 1957 D17 Series 1 Gas. This is my first Allis Chalmers tractor so any help would be greatly appreciated. Are there any good information sites out there that I can use to learn more about the D17? I have been looking but they are hard to dig up. Thanks in advance.

Tim
Sponsored Links

Larry B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2011 at 10:00am
you are on the best site  for information right now.
Jeff Z. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff  Z.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2011 at 10:18am
But not always the correct answer.
I Love Meatballs and Dumplings on Toast with Gravy and Rosemary and ??? {Open For Suggestions}
GregLawlerMinn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregLawlerMinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2011 at 12:04pm
Welcome to the site and congrats on acquiring a really fine Allis. You can purchase manuals from this site; click on "Allis Store" above. The folks who advertise their parts/products on this site are great folks to deal with; click on "Parts, etc" above to check out their products and services.
Feel free to ask any questions about your D17; you will most likely get many good responses-and should someone have a senior moment and give you the wrong answers, most likely someone will jump in and give the correct one.
What this country needs is more unemployed politicians-and lawyers.
Currently have: 1 D14 and a D15S2.
With new owners: 2Bs,9CAs,1WD,2 D12s,5D14s,3D15S2s, 2D17SIVs,D17D,1D19D;1 Unstyled WC
Tim8975 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim8975 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2011 at 12:33pm
Thanks Greg,

I didn't look up that far on the forum. I am sure I will have plenty of questions in the days and weeks to follow.

Tim
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2011 at 5:21pm
Welcome, Tim!

Okay, so let's start with some basic facts about the D17 Series 1:

The D17 Series I is the successor to the W-series tractors.  The WC begat the WD, then the WD45... this evolved into the D17.

The D17 had many notable features that came from earlier series-  the venerable 4 cylinder had bore-and-stroke, as well as compression-ratio and goverend-speed increases over the WC and WD, but using essentially the same engine block plan as the WC of 1935.

The WD and WD45's hand-clutch on the DRIVELINE was a major advantage to farmers when operating equipment such as balers, harvesters, and mowers- it allowed the operator to stop tractor motion WHILE maintaining PTO drive to the implement.  The D17's improvement, however, was the Power Director feature... a hand-operated PAIR of clutches (on one handle) that gave a HIGH and LOW drive ratio operation.  It had a substantial advantage over the International Harvester Torque Amplifier (TA) setup in that it afforded a NEUTRAL, and also, it wasn't prone to damage from downshifting when going downhill (how to break a TA in one easy step).

The D17, like the WD45, was available with factory power steering, and I believe MOST were... the only D17's I've seen that didn't, were narrow-front.  The power steering pump is located just behind the governor (gear driven off the engine), and the reservoir filler is located behind the grille, up front.

The D17 Series 1 shared hydraulic lift scheme of the WD and WD-45- a high-pressure/low-volume pump operating a single-acting lift cylinder on the rear-end 'snap hitch'. The snap-hitch system shared same implements as used on the WD and WD-45- an eyelet on the front end of the implement hooked onto the 'pin-bell' device directly beneath the transmission, and two arms on the implement connected to the ends of the tractor's lift-arms.  This allowed implement draft load to be placed below the centerline of the tractor, and kept the implement's center-of-draft very far forward.  The result was excellent maneuverability and control while engaging the soil.  The D17 also shared the WD/WD45's 'traction booster' draft control system.  A servo valve and cylinder located in the 'pin bell' device would monitor draft pressure, and modulate lift-arm pressure to keep constant travel speed while plowing.

In the event that drawbar devices needed hydraulic lift, It also had auxiliary plumbing to operate a remote cylinder... typically like a lifting cylinder on the wheels of a towed rotary mower or plow, or in the case of a grain hopper, the hopper dump cylinder.

The D-series tractors also featured Allis's Power-Shift rear wheel spacing adjustment system- loosen four cam locks on a wheel, apply the opposite brake, and bump the clutch, which spins the wheel center inside the rim, pushing the tire out, or pulling it in, respective to the direction you're turning the wheel.

Electrical system is 12v positive ground, with ignition points and a mechanical voltage-regulator.  Easy to convert to negative ground and/or electronic ignition, if you should desire an upgrade.

Brakes are easy to adjust- there's covers over the adjusters just below the seat on right and left side.  If your brakes aren't working well, check the adjusters first.  Brake linings can usually be installed through those covers without too much difficulty.

Common issues with engines, is exhaust manifold leaks, improper valve clearance settings, ignition points/condensers, cruddy carburetors and fuel tanks... all easy problems to solve, and virtually everything is available through common avenues.
Tim8975 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim8975 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2011 at 6:38pm
Thanks Dave,

That is a bunch of information to get started with. If I understand correctly, the "foot clutch" is a dry clutch that sends engine power over to the Power Director which is comprised of two wet clutches. So the foot clutch is a single clutch unlike some other tractors I have used that had a double clutch (1st half disengaged the driveline and the 2nd half disengaged the PTO). So the Power Director provides high/low ranges and a neutral while continuously driving the PTO or hydraulics (if they are engaged).

I have the narrow tricycle wheels but would like to switch to the wide front-end at some point. Did the D17 use the same wide front end as previous models such as the WD45 or do I need to find a D17 wide front end?

Tim 
BennyLumpkin View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BennyLumpkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2011 at 6:56pm
Wide Front ends for a D series is compeletely different than the WD's. Guys have them here for sale once in awhile and ebay quite often. 
Central PA Allis Express
1934 WC254
1945 WF
1945 WC135755
1951 WD68085
1953 WD45-150217
1957 WD45D-230744D
B110
BobDinNC View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobDinNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2011 at 7:27pm
Welcome to the forum, Tim.  This is the place to find information and to ask for advice.  I was in your shoes three years ago.  Just bought a 57 D17 nf gas and didn't know what I was doing.  Three years later, it is 95% restored and makes regular trips to local tractor shows.  As other forum members have said, it is your tractor, fix it up the way you want.  I chose to add cream color to the paint scheme because I like it better than the original all orange scheme.  I hope you enjoy your tractor and the forum as much as I have.
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2011 at 7:27pm
To get the continuous PTO and hydraulics, you move the power director to neutral. Pushing the clutch pedal stops everything.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
Orange Blood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orange Blood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2011 at 7:49pm

Hello Tim, and welcome

The power director clutch question you posed is not correct. both the foot clutch and the power dirrector clutch are dry.  The pd clutch is inside the torque housing and does have a pump, but only to lube the bearings since it spins most of the time even in neutral.  The tricycle front end, and the wide front end are different, in that the shaft supports the weight of the tractor in a tricycle setup, and therefor has a different setup, but if you get the entire front end, it is not hard to change at all.

Hang on, it is a great ride, and you will get lots of good information here.

Still in use:
HD7 WC C CA WD 2-WD45 WD45LP WD45D D14 3-D17 D17LP 2-D19D D19LP 190XTD 190XTLP 720 D21 220 7020 7030 7040 7045 3-7060
Projects: 3-U UC 2-G 2-B 2-C CA 7-WC RC WDLP WF D14 D21 210 7045 N7
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2011 at 8:02pm
The Power Director clutch is indeed wet, as the lube pump supplies oil up thru the hollow shaft and oil then migrates into the clutch hubs ( with drilled lube holes) and then by centrifugal force out thru the clutch. No way is it dry....oil is supplied from within unlike the WD and WD45 that had no lube pump and depended upon splash/submersion in oil.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orange Blood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2011 at 8:05pm
OK, let me clarify, it is not powered by hydrolic force
Still in use:
HD7 WC C CA WD 2-WD45 WD45LP WD45D D14 3-D17 D17LP 2-D19D D19LP 190XTD 190XTLP 720 D21 220 7020 7030 7040 7045 3-7060
Ryan Renko View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Renko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2011 at 8:06pm
I was thinking the same thing Dr. Allis but you beat me to the keypad!! D17s are great tractors. Ryan
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orange Blood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2011 at 8:14pm

I got to say, I appreciate you people that know everything, but you sure don't know how to be polite about it.

I understand that you are right the power dirrector does run in oil, but a lot of people think that a wet clutch is Hydraulic actuated with a piston, and that is the point I was trying to get across, I was inaccurate in that sence, and did a poor job of getting that point across. SORRY

Still in use:
Tim8975 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim8975 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2011 at 8:29pm
Orange Blood,

No worries. I appreciate everyone's input. A wet clutch to me is just that...wet with oil.

Tim
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic