This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AllisChalmers 829 (haybine) mower conditioner

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolffin13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AllisChalmers 829 (haybine) mower conditioner
    Posted: 28 Jun 2015 at 12:44pm
I am trying to replace the belt for the sickle bar on the mower can anyone tell me what the length of the belt is supposed to be? It is the round belt that goes from Vertical to Horizontal and I cannot find one locally. Im pretty sure I have the only existing AC mower in my area. Any help would be great. Thank you. Frustrated in Central Michigan
Sponsored Links

DougS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2015 at 12:49pm
Wrap a piece of string around where the belt would go. Tie the ends together. Then cut the string and measure the total length. If the string is nested deep in the pulleys, you will have to add extra inches to allow for the belt riding at the outside edge of the pulleys. This will give you the belt length in inches.
Wolffin13 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolffin13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2015 at 1:18pm
Thanks tried that, have an adjustable slide idler pulley set to midway to allow for adjustment. Local autoparts measured remnants of old belt as 74" and special ordered a Gates BB71 double v hex belt at $62.50 said it should replace the round one fine. Tried to put it on and came up short. Adjuster is slacked all the way off and there's no way it will fit. So I'm trying to figure out what the number, length something of the original belt. Called around to some dealerships and I get "you're working on a what?" so here i am seeking knowledge
DougS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2015 at 1:20pm
You measured the old belt as approximately 74 inches, yet they gave you a 71 inch belt? No wonder it didn't work.
Wolffin13 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolffin13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2015 at 1:26pm
yeah that's my thinking to, I pulled specs up on the belt and it says 74" at pitch.
Bob (IN) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob (IN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2015 at 8:47pm
the numbers on a belt don't measure the length you have to add three inches to the number
great-grandpa's wc with picker, 20/35, speed patrol, uc, m crawler, 620, 653 dozer d21 d17 d19
Wolffin13 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolffin13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2015 at 7:51pm
Well Im on my third hex belt Gates BB73. Belts not strong enough it heats up, stretches and eventually breaks. Does anyone else have one of these machines and where do you get the heavy duty round belts????
Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2015 at 9:05pm
If somehow you could find a lawnmower drive belt for a big zero turn mower that was the correct length, that may solve your problem. Those belts are much tougher than a standard industrial belt. (from a close friend who has been selling industrial drives for more than 40 years)
Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
Hurst View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 9:25pm
You can try Kevlar belts.  You can look at Vbeltsupply.com if you know your size.  I have had good luck with some of their belts, but experienced the same thing as you with their standard belts on my zero turn mower, so I will probably be using Kevlar belts next to see if they slip less and put up with heat better.

Hurst
1979 Allis Chalmers 7000
5800 Hours
orangereborn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangereborn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 11:58pm
Originally posted by Wolffin13 Wolffin13 wrote:

I am trying to replace the belt for the sickle bar on the mower can anyone tell me what the length of the belt is supposed to be? It is the round belt that goes from Vertical to Horizontal and I cannot find one locally. Im pretty sure I have the only existing AC mower in my area. Any help would be great. Thank you. Frustrated in Central Michigan
 If it is for the cutter bar on the 829, AC 559167 (70559167) calling it a "HB having a length of 72.94" and should equate to a B70?  Dale
JimIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 9:04am
You have to use the round belt. The part number orangereborn listed is the correct one and is available yet. Do you have an AGCO dealer near you? If not PM me.

Jim
An open eye is much more observant than an open mouth
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 12:01pm
Give Williams a call. They are real Good

Williams Farm Machinery | Since 1949

williamsfarmmachinery.com/
Williams Farm Machinery is a locally owned and operated business serving the Mid-Michigan area, a tradition we've maintained since 1949. We are proud to ...
1115 Lansing Rd, Charlotte, MI 48813
(517) 543-4770
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
DennisA (IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DennisA (IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 11:55am
I have parts books for the 904 & 390. They do not show a round belt. I have a parts book coming for the 829. As soon as I get it I will look up the part number for you.
Thanks & God Bless

Dennis
JimIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 2:16pm
Dennis,

The reason they do not show a round belt on a 904 and 390 is because those two have a wobble box for the sickle where a 829 does not. The 829s feature an eccentric drive similar to a windrower. The different drive uses a round belt. I double checked in my books and the 70559167 is the correct number. AGCO currently has it on hand under the heritage number 70559167V which when I checked was at the Batavia warehouse. I ordered one for my 829 last year also.

Jim
An open eye is much more observant than an open mouth
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic