This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Resurfacing track chain or find replacement?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Resurfacing track chain or find replacement?
    Posted: 11 Jun 2024 at 8:26am
Since a new track chain could be hard to find, can it be resurfaced with 7018 or hard surface rod? Has anyone done this with success? I didn't see how bad the chain was wore on he backside of the right track, it was ran with a loose track. Looks like it started eating into the pin boss. I'm assuming it was loose track that accelerated the wear? advice, thanks.

Sponsored Links

Dozer987 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer987 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2024 at 10:27am
It can be re surfaced. It is a lot of work. Your truck wheels will probably need resurfacing as well. It is the only thing to do if you can't find the parts.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2024 at 10:42am
top side of track chain can be built up - YET the problem is wear on pin and bushing , both outside of bushing and INTERNAL WEAR . 
 I built up rail height on 37 link track on my HD5G and got about 2 years of use until I had a link fail as internal of chain was wore and excess slack rode up onto sprocket tooth .
 Check track length - measure ON CENTER of 1 link - then measure length between 4 links -pin to pin - find out how much wear by checking that against what 1 link on center is . 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Noah View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2024 at 11:45am
Originally posted by Dozer987 Dozer987 wrote:

It can be re surfaced. It is a lot of work. Your truck wheels will probably need resurfacing as well. It is the only thing to do if you can't find the parts.

Thanks Dozer, I'll keep my eyes out for a new chain but until then I'll get my welder out.
Noah View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2024 at 11:50am
Originally posted by Coke-in-MN Coke-in-MN wrote:

top side of track chain can be built up - YET the problem is wear on pin and bushing , both outside of bushing and INTERNAL WEAR . 
 I built up rail height on 37 link track on my HD5G and got about 2 years of use until I had a link fail as internal of chain was wore and excess slack rode up onto sprocket tooth .
 Check track length - measure ON CENTER of 1 link - then measure length between 4 links -pin to pin - find out how much wear by checking that against what 1 link on center is . 

Coke, if I'm measuring correctly, I'm getting 6 1/2" from center of one pin to the next. 19 9/16" across 4 pins

I was hoping to avoid splitting the track and just welding in position, I jacked up loader and have the tracks free wheeling. It would be my first time splitting a track so I'm a bit anxious. Good or bad idea?
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2024 at 12:28pm
Building up old tracks was a common thing 40 years ago.  Durning WW2 Cat put out information on how they thought was the best way to do things. This information has been put out on the Antique Caterpillar Machinery Owners Club (ACMOC )web site. I am not sure if that would be findable today or not. But it cost nothing to ask. Do to poor management the clubs was very broke, and switched to new software. But has put together a large library of Cat publications, but you need to pay membership to access. So since this was out long before library it might be free. It might have been discussed enough here that it was put here as well.

There was site that had track information on all brand with the dimensions printed. But whoever owned it abandoned it. But was still up a few years later, but am not remembering a name for it to help you find it.

Not being a expert on track wear and picture can be deceiving, your chain looks in relatively good condition. So I would guess your roller are more at fault than the chain. AC roller are harder to weld on in that they have bearing inside rather than just bushing as the other brands did.

General Gear in the Bosie ID area that started as used crawler parts dealer, that now is the go to place for after market steering clutch parts has been putting parts catalogs on their web site for many makes and models.  So check with them as they might track wear information on there site. So google General Gear see what they have up. They get many favorable comments about giving information on the phone as well.
orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2024 at 12:31pm
During the Depression era and WWII Caterpillar released an undercarriage restoration guide.  I did a little checking and unfortunately didn't see it come up with a quick google search.  If you wonder over to the ACMOC site I think you could find the guides there.  The guide(s) as in plural - meaning there are several of them - detail restoration of the rollers and track link along with the sprocket and idlers. 

HTH's ~ Orangeman
Les Kerf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Kerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2024 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by Noah Noah wrote:

I was hoping to avoid splitting the track and just welding in position, I jacked up loader and have the tracks free wheeling. It would be my first time splitting a track so I'm a bit anxious. Good or bad idea?

So long as you can access the area you intend to weld upon I would recommend not splitting the track. You will know pretty soon after trying it.
I hate splitting tracks Tongue
Noah View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2024 at 2:58pm
Thanks everyone. I got 11 out of 37 built up so far. I used 1/2" round bar I had laying around to save on time, stick rod and less heat buildup between passes. I hope this holds for a bit. The chain definitely has a few links that are not looking good. Im rotating the tracks with a ratchet strap and welding from the back corner.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic