This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I600 loader cylinder seals

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I600 loader cylinder seals
    Posted: 11 Jun 2024 at 5:01am
Now II have a loader lift cylinder leaking.
Can I order a seal kit or should I just drop it off at a hydraulic shop?
Steering cylinder is leaking as well.
I thought the steering and hydraulics ran from the same reservoir but the steering cylinder drips milky looking fluid and the loader cylinder drips clean looking fluid.
Sponsored Links

Fritz View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2024 at 7:00am
I do cylinders as part of my career. Whether you do it yourself or drop it off depends entirely upon how well equipped your shop is.
   The biggest part of most cylinder jobs is cracking the nut that holds the piston on… once you’re past that it’s all down hill from there. The steering cylinder you could probably do in a large vise, but I have no idea what a I-600 cylinder looks like…. So I can’t say any further on that.
   If you elect to have it done at a shop, you may want to schedule time for a couple estimates. An hour to drop it off, wait however many days it takes for them to look at it , and an hour to pick it up if the price is too high.
   I got burned once by a shop I had been dealing with for a few years. I was swamped in the shop so I thought I’d just send out this dinky cylinder off a John Deere 322 skid loader for a re-seal job, to lighten my workload a little bit. When I picked it up it was $485!! I didn’t say anything, it was my fault, I trusted the guy and just said fix it.
    Still fuming, I called my local Deere dealer when I got back to my shop and asked for the estimate to re-seal a CT-322 boom cylinder. He said $130. I asked how much for the seal kit, he said, “ That IS with the seal kit’!
   Keep your eyes open when dealing with those guys. Get your numbers up front.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2024 at 10:49am
The steering cylinder is more like a closed system as only small amount of fluid is displaced between movement of control valve at steering wheel and cylinder tied into axle movement - tie rod - 
 Rest of hydraulics is fluid exchange in large volume so oil is exchanged often . 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2024 at 12:00pm
I only have a farm tractor loader for lifting around the ranch don't use it for a week or better at a time.  But really don't want it to unavailable, so I ordered seal kits when I needed to work on cylinders.As per my life even though there were only 2 choices of kits, once apart it was nether. So off to the local hydraulic repair shop/bearing dealer. They had everything I needed in stock, at less than 1/2 price of a dealer repair kit.

If it matters mine is 80's model Yanmar sold by JD as 1250 model. So I don't know who built my loader other than the JD model number and paint.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic