This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hd6g generator to altornator conversion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhilton69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hd6g generator to altornator conversion
    Posted: 10 Jun 2024 at 5:27pm
Hey yall been awhile since I've been on been really busy. I'm trying to find any info on how to put a altornator on my ol gal but ever time I put it in the search it either says one of my words is only 3 letters or nothing found. Anyone got any ideas. Had to keep dragging the charger out to keep the batteries hot.
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2024 at 5:35pm
here is a BASIC diagram for any tractor.. the BIGGEST problem is getting the alternator mounted and belt aligned.. the wire part is simple...  the old DELCO 10SI is the most common alternator aroud and has internal voltage regluator.. has been in use for 50 years.

Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Les Kerf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Kerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2024 at 9:23am
Edit: My bad, I now see you have an HD6G (need to get new trifocals). The same theory applies though.

Edit #2: As Cal pointed out below, the HD6G is a 24 volt system.

I put a one-wire Delco alternator on my Son-in-law's HD5G and it works great. You will likely hear negative remarks about how using one-wire alternators is a terrible idea but I and many thousands of other satisfied users have ran them with no ill effects.

The main objection to using a one-wire unit is that the alternator is too far away from the battery to be able to properly sense the battery voltage; the solution is to not use tiny wires. 10 gauge is the smallest I would use, if you have some #6 or #4 handy, use that. The voltage drop on heavy wire is negligible.

I do recommend using a voltmeter rather than an ammeter, but if you do use the ammeter you will need to reverse the connections since the alternator will be negative ground. The starter does not care about polarity as they are series-wound so it will work fine on negative ground.

I used the original double-belt pulley from the original generator, it fit right on the alternator but I did shorten the 'boss' on the hub to facilitate alignment. You will have to get creative with mounting brackets, etc. but anyone smart enough to run an HD5 will be able to figure that out.

I was initially concerned about spinning the alternator fast enough to self-excite it, but the 2-71 Detroit spins plenty fast. I used the very unit that I removed from my Allis-Chalmers Model C, the Model C only turns 1400 rpm max and it need wide open throttle to get the alternator lit up, after which it would charge fine at low speeds.

Don't stress about getting a high-capacity alternator, the original generator was only rated at 8 amps (but it was assumed that it would also run for long periods at a time).

Edited by Les Kerf - 11 Jun 2024 at 9:36am
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2024 at 9:28am
one issue not address here is the HD6 is 24 volt.  so you need a 24v alt or some system to charge each 12v separately which is problamatic.  also getting the wide belt pulley to fit an alternator could be a problem.

Edited by CAL(KS) - 11 Jun 2024 at 9:33am
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
Les Kerf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Kerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2024 at 9:33am
Originally posted by CAL(KS) CAL(KS) wrote:

one issue not address here is the HD6 is 24 volt.  so you need a 24v alt or some system to charge each 12v separately which is problamatic.

Thank you Cal, I was not aware they are 24 volt. A series/parallel switch can be used to charge two 12 volt batteries with a 12 volt alternator but they are indeed a hassle. A dedicated 24 volt alternator is preferred, and I do not know if anyone bothers to make a one-wire 24 volt unit.
Les Kerf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Kerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2024 at 9:38am

...  also getting the wide belt pulley to fit an alternator could be a problem.

Definitely need to measure the shaft diameter
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2024 at 9:58am
Originally posted by Les Kerf Les Kerf wrote:

...  also getting the wide belt pulley to fit an alternator could be a problem.

Definitely need to measure the shaft diameter
Its possible to order a pulley of correct belt width to fit the alternator you buy and in the long run probably easier than swapping pulleys.  and it probably needs to be smaller than the original to spin the alt faster if a 1 wire?  im no electrical expert.  I have 4 24v AC crawlers and all but 1 charge with original generator.  the last was purchased as a parts machine and havnt looked into it.  usually the regulator or generator brushes are the issue.

Edited by CAL(KS) - 11 Jun 2024 at 10:00am

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2024 at 10:24am
I took the pulley from a alternator off a heavy truck and stripped the pulley from that , used lathe to widen belt groove to fit B width belt .
 If you find a 24 volt alternator - it should be off a diesel so RPM for charging would be lower speed that gas engine .  
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2024 at 11:48am
I have done the same as Les for my HD5. There was nothing to taking the pully off the generator and putting on the alternator. If I had someone like SteveNJ close I might be more for keeping the generator, but I don't. The only problem I see is if you did not have a puller handy. But of course if the shaft is a different size and you don't have a machinist on speed dial, that will be a problem.

I have never done this so a word from SteveNJ would be nice to confirm. Local auto parts store would send Delco alternators off and have it switched to 24 V for less than $50. May cost a lot more as this was 15 years ago. And maybe the person that told me was lying, and I cannot question as he died.
Jhilton69 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhilton69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2024 at 12:43pm
I was lookin at altornators on Amazon that are 24 volt.

Edited by Jhilton69 - 11 Jun 2024 at 12:44pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2024 at 12:54pm
YEs, they sell 24v alternators.. Here is one that looks like it was built on the 10SI case size... This is a 1 wire are Les talked about above... Very simple to wire up.. One wire to the battery.. You dont need the #1 and #2 spade terminals in the drawing at the top of the page........ only catch is the pulley will need to be replaced with your generator pulley, or machined to fit your old belt...

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2024 at 12:59pm
your going to see alternators that are 40 , 65 or over 100 amps... The smallest size, 40 amps is probably plenty for your use.. Im assuming you dont have a dozoen light or Air Cond on the tractor.. Wink
Jhilton69 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhilton69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2024 at 1:48pm
Will the old pully fit the altornator as is or will it need worked to fit correctly.
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2024 at 3:43pm
may or may not

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2024 at 3:53pm
there is a "STANDARD" size that 90% of the "AUTOMOTIVE" generators and alternators shafts... I think it is 17 mm .....there are other "heavy duty" or "smaller" shafts on some construction equip Like Cal said... you may get lucky and it will slide right on... but NOT a guarantee.

Edited by steve(ill) - 11 Jun 2024 at 3:56pm
Jhilton69 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhilton69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2024 at 3:56pm
Ok thank y'all
Doughd16b View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doughd16b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2024 at 5:54pm
I converted my 16dp to a 1 wire 24v but it's the bigger style and on the 844s they just changed the bracket to add an alternator on to it on the B series, and I had all that on my parts 16b tractor. It is a nice upgrade in that the old generator only put out about 15 amps
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2024 at 6:29pm
Bosch makes one wire 24 volt alternators.

I put one on our AC Forty Five grader.  They have a one leg mount and we can buy a simple 2-ear bracket for that.  There are two types of AC generator mounts - one with some fancy castings, the other plain. I had one of the plain ones and I welded the Bosch mount on that so the pulley aligned.

I'm not at the grader ATM but IIRC the Delco pulley fitted the Bosch alternator to use the wide belt.  Couldn't use a key so used Locktite and it is still there.

And no trouble getting it to charge.

Edited by Ian Beale - 11 Jun 2024 at 6:35pm
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2024 at 5:40am
I usually just convert over to the SAE "J-180" mount and be done with it. This is the most standard of mountings where the alternator swings to adjust belt tension. 

I installed a "28SI" series on my 11B tractor replacing the original "10DN" series that was externally regulated, and haven't looked back. The drive sheave, (pulley) was a slip fit with no machining required. I went from a 20A unit to 100A and way overkill for the current application, but didn't cost any more so went with extra capacity. Of course with the 15K line pull electric winch slated for installation, it may be beneficial in the future.  
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2024 at 7:22am
doesnt apply to the HD6 but on the bigger machines HD16 and my HD20s, the generator is run straight off the double drive belts from crank to fan and uses a stub shaft and bearings with a coupler to drive the genny.  Did you guys totally eliminate that setup and go straight off the alt with double pulley or just couple it to the stub shaft?  seems like a lot of side load for an alternator.

Jhilton69 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhilton69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2024 at 9:54am
Mines got a single belt fully on it.
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2024 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by Jhilton69 Jhilton69 wrote:

Mines got a single belt fully on it.
yes hd6 is single belt

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic