This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to change a WD hand cluth

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Alex09(WI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex09(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to change a WD hand cluth
    Posted: 12 Dec 2013 at 7:02pm
I was changing a hand clutch for a customer today and thought I could take some pictures to help out others with the same problem.

STEP 1:  Take out the four bolts where the frame rails bolt to the rear axle. You also need to remove battery box, hand clutch cover, disconnect the PTO shaft, traction booster linkage, hyd rams, steering post, hand clutch linkage, and brake rods. Leave the 6 bolts holding the transmission to the hand clutch housing. Also drain the oil from the tranny and h.c. housing.

STEP 2: Thread 1.5 ft of 3/4" threaded rod into the bolt holes on the rear axle. Put a nut on at least one rod to make sure the rear does not roll back too far.

STEP 3: Jack up the tractor under the bell housing. Remove the 6 bolts that hold the tranny to the h.c. housing. Roll the rear back away from the front. Remove the four bolts on the hand clutch and fish the hand clutch out of the housing.

STEP 4:  Make sure there are no hand clutch parts left in the housing.

STEP 5: Put the new clutch in and roll the tractor back together. Don't forget about the gasket!

STEP 6: Bolt everything back together and reconnect the linkages. Make sure the hand clutch rotates and disengages before putting too much back together. Remove the threaded rods one at a time and put the bolts back in.

STEP 7: Start her up and test her out. With a little luck and skill, everything will work Thumbs Up

www.awtractor.com
A&W TRACTOR 920-598-1287
KEEPING ALLIS-CHALMERS IN THE FIELDS THROUGH THE 21ST CENTURY
Sponsored Links

MNLonnie View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MNLonnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2013 at 7:20pm
Very interesting, I've never done one.Thanks for posting that.
Waukesha B, B, IB, G, styled WF, D15, 615 backhoe, 2-Oliver OC3's, 4 Ford Model T's, 3 Model A Fords, AV8 Coupe, AV8 Roadster, 1933 Ford Wrecker
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2013 at 7:46pm
I'm still baffled as to why we don't have a stickies/how-to subforum under the Farm Equipment forum on here. Threads like this would be easily accessible for reference - no trying to figure out the perfect keywords to use a finicky search function, or bookmarking and then having the web address change a year later, rendering your bookmark useless.

I'd nominate this thread. Thanks for taking the time to post pictures - I haven't changed a hand clutch either, and it's neat to see the components getting some air.
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
NickH View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2013 at 7:53pm
very nice detailed post I agree that there should be a subforum for helpful posts like this
"Allis Express" Northern Utah
Auntwayne View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Auntwayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2013 at 8:38pm
     Thanks for posting w/pics . One of our next projects .
NDBirdman View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDBirdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2013 at 10:17pm
Cool.  Your still basically splitting the tractor, right?  Just using rods to keep it close?
1955 WD45 S#205467, 190XT #6652 DXT
B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2013 at 6:48am
Great post !!
Rltool View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rltool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2013 at 8:46am
Thank you for taking the time to post this. This is a great help. Very well laid out. I 2nd the how to thread.
Ray W.
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2016 at 8:58pm
I like the threaded rod idea. I wonder if that could work on a D17 to get the Power Director out?
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
9GRANDKIDS View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9GRANDKIDS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2016 at 9:18pm
I used this process to pull my hand clutch today - rivets were sheared off both clutch plates.  I had trouble splitting for a bit then realized that the PTO shaft was hung...  I had the shear pin out, but the hole was warbled a bit and flared the PTO gear  out into the  holes in the shaft.  I just pulled the 2 bolts on rear carrier and let the shaft drop enough to clear the differential.  Other than that and a couple of bolts being difficult the process was easy.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 8:01am
Good post, the two I have changed I had the engine out of the tractor. If I just needed to change the hand clutch, would definitely use this method. 
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 9:31am
good post looks like the heater in the shop didnt work
Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 10:04am
There is a sub forum for this type of info.  It's called Farm Equipment-Knowledge Based.  Second forum area on the list.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic