This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Seals Resistant to Diesel Fuel ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuckSkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Seals Resistant to Diesel Fuel ?
    Posted: 09 Jun 2024 at 3:19pm
I thought such would be an easy search, but nothing is anymore...

I have this BulkHead Fitting

I gather that the two rubber seals that come with these are plain old water-hose gaskets.

I intend to install this in the bottom of a diesel fuel tank; and, as it is quite the chore to get it in there, let alone maybe having to get it back out for seal replacement, I need seals that are impervious to constant submersion in diesel fuel.

When I search for flat O-Ring seals that are okay for diesel fuel, I get page after page of plain old O-Rings and nothing helpful at all.

When I try to find bulk-head fittings that are specifically for diesel fuel tanks, figuring whatever seals come with them will be up to the task, I have had no luck whatsoever in finding even a single one; instead, I get many pages of rain barrel plumbing and hog watering nipples.

I have a big bag full of those good red hose washers; does anyone know what they are made of and are they okay for diesel submersion ? 

I also have some fat O-Rings that are supposed to be okay in fuel; would a plain old O-Ring seal against the inside of the fuel tank ?
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2024 at 3:40pm
IGOOGLE... nitrile rubber OK with diesel fuel?

Mineral and vegetable oils, along with diesel, gasoline and similar fuels, attack many materials, causing them to swell or break down. The notable exception is nitrile rubber. Nitrile rubber gaskets, often referred to as Buna-N or NBR gaskets, offer excellent resistance to oil.

I would buy a Buna- N gasket sheet and cut my own... MANY of the rings and gaskets sold are made from Buna- N material..

Edited by steve(ill) - 09 Jun 2024 at 3:41pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2024 at 3:45pm
BuckSkin View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuckSkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2024 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

Thanks for that; I was not aware such an animal existed as sheets of nitrile rubber.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2024 at 9:28am
Viton is also a good choice for diesel and also available in sheets. Bit pricey but works great.   Probably a bit “stronger”.

Edited by Tbone95 - 10 Jun 2024 at 9:33am
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2024 at 9:40am
i just mentioned nirtril because  that has been the Standard for years.. When i was a kid i would guess 90% of the o-rings and rubber gaskets used were made of nitril.. Today they still make over halft of the parts... There are "other" types of synthetics/ rubbers/ plastics that were not available 50 years ago....... and yes, VITON is an excellent choice.. use to be way more expensive..... maybe 3 x the cost.
----------------------

Nitrile also known as Buna-N or NBR is the most commonly used elastomer for sealing products; approximately 50% of all o-rings sold are Nitrile.

Edited by steve(ill) - 10 Jun 2024 at 9:42am
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2024 at 9:49am
We had a lot of stuff in the lab that wasn’t so great with Buna, so we had a lot of Viton around, yeah, expensive like I said but really good stuff. Was a lot harder to nick or flatten etc as I recall. Just saying. And yeah, 1990’s, so maybe not 50 years ago, but 30!
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2024 at 9:52am
I have an awesome chemical compatibility chart in a catalog, but print would be way too small to make a decent scan. There’s stuff on google for sure, but like he says, starts out too vague too much. Narrowing it down some beforehand helps a lot.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2024 at 11:45am
One can search this listing to find some info on different materials and sizes to meet the need for different applications 

https://www.mcmaster.com/products/o-rings/

https://www.mcmaster.com/products/o-rings/o-rings-1~/

Edited by Coke-in-MN - 10 Jun 2024 at 11:48am
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
BuckSkin View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuckSkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2024 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

IGOOGLE... nitrile rubber OK with diesel fuel?

I would buy a Buna- N gasket sheet and cut my own...

Thanks; it looks like that is what I am down to.

I notice the screen-shot you posted is for 60A; I am also seeing the exact same thing except 70A (harder) for about 2/3 the money.

Am I right in thinking that to seal a bulk-head drain against a plastic diesel fuel tank softer would be better; what are your thoughts ?

I have a set of those leather hole cutters that you whack with a hammer; but, they don't hardly go that big; it sure would be nice if they did.

I guess an X-Acto knife will cut the I.D. fairly accurate.

I do have the supplied O-Rings for patterns; that will help a lot.

Should I apply some sort of smack-madam on the O-Ring washers as well ? something like Mr. Gasket Form-a-Gasket #2 non-Hardening Gasket Maker ?

I am a firm believer in #2.

Finding ready-made Nitrile flat washers 1-inch I.D., 1-1/2" O.D. (or thereabouts), and at least 1/8" thick is an impossible task.

The closest McMaster-CARR comes is 3/4" I.D.

I can find a gazillion of the size needed made of Neoprene; the ones that came on my fittings are probably Neoprene.

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2024 at 4:18pm
I think the 60 might be better as you get a little more CRUNCH on the gasket.. I would not use any sealer on the ring... the rubber is made to seal all by itself..
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic