This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

cracked wd45 block

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob (mo) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cracked wd45 block
    Posted: 28 Feb 2010 at 9:01pm
Today i was cleaning up my wd45 to get it ready to sale and at some point over the winter the block has cracked about 3 inches under the block drain plug .The motor runs great and i hate to have to scrap it.What is the best way to repair the block ?
Sponsored Links

LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2010 at 10:53pm
They are weldable, but you need somebody that knows what he is doing, the block has to be preheated, etc.
I've heard of some using JB weld. I'm not fond of that idea, but many swear by it. use a grinder to "V" the block along the crack, drill the ends of the crack, and them fill the V and holes with JB
I'll leave it up to you whether to inform the buyer that it was fixed!

Edited by LouSWPA - 28 Feb 2010 at 10:55pm
Bruce Mn. View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce Mn. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2010 at 11:01pm
I used jb weld on my oliver 77 over 10 years ago . it's never leaked yet. I didn't drill any holes , just ground out  a v along crack about a foot long , made sure it was good & dry. And filled crack with about 4 layers of jb weld.
niel ev View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote niel ev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2010 at 9:30am
Bob a good shop can probablypin it. Its a little expensive but looks good when done right Niel
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic