This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The One-Ninety Blues... :^(

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The One-Ninety Blues... :^(
    Posted: 28 Feb 2010 at 5:55pm

I made the descision a while back to restore my One-Ninety and started the process buy taking it to a local mechanic in the area to have some oil leaks fixed and to repair the third gear from jumping out under a load.  I had hopes that this might be a simple fix buy just replacing the gear and coupler but the deeper we got the uglier things got...

I found out last week that the ring gear and pinnion is bad...

Friday he got the pinnion shaft out of the housing and the bearing has spun in the housing ruining the housing.  It's been a real blow to find out all this bad news.  The tractor never really made any noise in the rear end and had no outside signs of having trouble.  I'm almost scared now to look into the motor.

Nothing is ever easy for me...lol.  Just thought I'd share.  Thanks.
Sponsored Links

CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2010 at 6:13pm
That's a bummer. I thought I was using up all the bad luck for people on this site. I bet the expression on your face isn't like the first picture but it can be again. 
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
norm [ind] View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norm [ind] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2010 at 6:39pm
  we have 2 190s for parts  1-800-254-3116  will wait for your response
mooboy View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mooboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2010 at 6:41pm
Wonder how many hours that tractor has worked.
Nathan (SD) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan (SD) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2010 at 9:18pm
How bad is that housing wore out. Nickel rod and a die grinder will fix up a few thousandths of wear to where it will hold the race tight. If the wear is less yet I have used a center punch to peen and loctite to hold the race. The work is time consuming but not hard.
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2010 at 9:34pm
If a guy wanted to save the housing, the bore needs to be in the right place. You could shim a bearing race in place and fill with an epoxy like moglice. If the pinion isn't held in the exact right position you'll have a mess all over again in a few hours.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Mike NEIN View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike NEIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2010 at 11:42pm
I'd mix up some JB weld smear it on the race and drive it back in and let it set up. Just my 2 cents worth.
Jerry (Ohio) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry (Ohio) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 5:06am
Locktite makes a product that will fill in a few thousands.
AndrewGubbels View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewGubbels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 6:59am
hang in there Matt, It will be very nice when you are done with it Matt!!! Remember light at the end of the tunnel!!

Andrew
Andrew Gubbels
Gubbels Restoration
Adam Stratton View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Stratton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 7:10am
I feel for you.  I am in the same sort of place with my 7045 PD right now.  Went to rebuilt the motor, and found out that basically everything that could be wrong as we went was.  Thankfully, even though a main had spun, it went 1/4 turn and stopped, so the block was still ok.  Found a hole in the top radiator tank, bearings out in water pump, new cam, new crank, new plates in PD, etc, etc.  I have spent more in parts in the last few weeks than I did for the tractor in the first place!  (maybe there is a lesson to be learned there for me)
AMB(wcIL) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMB(wcIL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 7:28am
Hang in their, they don't build good tractors like 190's and 200's anymore.  It will be good as new when you are done.  Maybe even better than showroom condition, with all the repairs and fresh paint.      Andy 
Eric[IL] View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric[IL] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 7:30am
Sorry to hear that.  From your original photo you are proud and loving it.  Looks like yours is an early version.  These tractors spanned the load transition during the 1960s.  Tillage equipment moved from 12' to 18' or even 22'.  Or, it bumped up field speeds a gear or two with the same implements?  The One-Ninety was doing everything - plows, chisels, disks, harrogators, silage choppers, etc..   I believe Norm's book mentions how it nudged the performance level of the series I D21 tractor.   
On the flip side, a 1965 model is 45 years old.  That is saying something.  You'll get it right and more importantly, you'll know its right when you are done.  I wish you the best on the engine and rest. 
Brad-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 11:10am
Going through the same thing with a treasured family tractor right now.  Grandpa's series 2 D17 blew the rear tranny bearing and locked up the trans tight and broke the bottom of the case where the bearing sits.  It's tough, but you gotta just plow through the tough parts of restoring tractors because the ends will always brighten your attitude to start the next one.
1930 U

1938 A

1941 WF
Rawleigh View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rawleigh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 12:34pm
Talk to a machinist about boring it out properly and sleeving it.  
ScooterBuck View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScooterBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 6:55pm
Rawleigh is correct. It can be fixed properly. Also I wouldn't be against prick punching it and using a good sleeve retainer if the bore isn't worn really bad. CAT makes some good retainer (better than just loctite) that I have used numerous times while rebuilding worn out gear boxes. 

Edited by ScooterBuck - 02 Mar 2010 at 6:56pm
D-allis Iowa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D-allis Iowa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2010 at 10:06am
Matt you will be alright on this one. You have one of the nicest 190's around and it will be like new. I hope to see it when you get it done. Dallas
Chris/CT View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris/CT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2010 at 11:50am
Went thru same with my 175. The bore in housing was MUCH worse than yours, gota wonder how long it was running bad. Took time and patience, but well worth the effort, they don't build them like they use to!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic