This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

allis 5020 any good?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote realolman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: allis 5020 any good?
    Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 5:32am
I'd like your opinions on an allis 5020.  I have an opportunity to buy one.

Somehow they don't even seem like an allis chalmers.
Sponsored Links

john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 6:55am
I love mine.  Spend many hours every summer mowing with it.  They are known for an overheating problem, so try to make sure it hasn't been before you buy it.  I have a 2WD with a 5' belly mower, but I have used it for other tasks besides mowing.  I gave 2100 for mine 4 or 5 years ago.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
kip in cny View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kip in cny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 7:01am
Iam happy with mine.  I use it for mowing my lawn with a 5ft fin ish mower all summer. I also use it to brush hog and rototille with. The only things I dont like is its too fast in reverse in high range. 
160 CA 920diesel 5020 HD-3
Jim Lindemood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Lindemood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 7:07am
Have a 5030 which is very much like the 5020 and it is a great machine. It is my wife's tractor of choice. Very handy machine and just keeps going, like the Everready bunny.
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 9:11am
I have the 9523 which is the same tractor except has the Simplicity decals.

I have mowed many many acres with it. I bought the loader and blade and have dug out top soil and back filled for a 100 X 70 pole building. Dug out for a truck dock. Loaded many ten yard gravel truck loads of top soil. Bought a TSC 2/14 plow and a five foot disk and plowed and fit 8 acres two times.  I use it on a post hole auger to build fence.
I used it to bale with and use it to rake hay with the last ten years. The only repair was a new bellhousing that I broke diging / jamming out an old foundation.
I use it two push snow out of the drive with the loader.

It don't take a lot of diesel to feed it.

Ya might say I like it.
EricPA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EricPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 11:36am
I love my 5020 as well! I have 5' factory belly mower and 5' front mount factory snowblower and all works well. I agree with everyone else's responses as well, and I mowed 10 acres of crep ground with grasses over my head while sitting on the tractor last summer with a 5' brush hog and she never over heated  
HORSESNIRON View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HORSESNIRON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 12:39pm
i do have a 60" belly mower for a 5020 , a little rough , located in se NE 402-269 5132
 if in need of an attachment
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 2:03pm
The problem I have had on over heating was a DickL problem of not cleaning off the screen in front of the radiator. Mowing dry stiff will put chaff in the air and plug the screen. When you see a little wet on the axle on the right front it is time to clean the screen. Don't in haste pull the screen and go back to mowing because the radaitor its self will plug and it is hard on the nuckles trying to get a stream of water thru all the luvers. Might not be as bad without an electric clutch in the front with the battery on top of that.
I can't blame the tractor for that.   
realolman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote realolman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 2:52pm
You can get parts and what not for it?  Is it a SImplicity machine?
kip in cny View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kip in cny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 3:15pm
They are not too bad to get parts for. Almost everything I needed I have gotten off this page.  I have never had a overheating issue.  They were made in japan for allis.  But its the best on diesel fuel you will ever own.  Also depends on whats your plans to use the 5020 ? 
160 CA 920diesel 5020 HD-3
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 6:08pm
Allis Chalmers owned some or all of Simplicity at the time. The Allis Chalmers and Simplicity lawn mowers/ garden tractors looked the same under the paint. 
Allen Dilg View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allen Dilg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 11:37pm
   I think the best part of owning one is that you need to fill the fuel tank about once a year, real easy on fuel, differental lock,   Bad things was made by japs with litte FEET.
Eldon (WA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eldon (WA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 11:58pm
and even with little feet you hit the accellerator every time you get on....I guess mine needs some fluid in the rear tires.  It can't do much but pull a trailer around. I tried a 6' landscape rake on it but spent all my time spinning and digging holes.
ALLIS EXPRESS!
This year:
AndrewGubbels View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewGubbels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 12:21am
I have a 5030 and love it.  I use it with a blade on the back for moving snow in the winter and odd and ends in town year around. 

Andrew
Andrew Gubbels
Gubbels Restoration
js5020 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js5020 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 1:27am
I have owned a 5020 fwa since it was new back in 84, they were made by Hinomoto for AC, compared to todays new machines they have few bells and whistles but they get the job done, easy on fuel, only issues I have had was a sticking thermostat, a failed oil pressure sensor and a leaking bypass hose over the years.  I agree with the high range reverse speed being to fast for most applications but you get use to it.  I run a 5' RFM and it could power more, a 6' landscape rake works fine, 5' box blade, 1x16" plow, and a bunch of other stuff,, I have no additional weight in the tires and the ground engaging stuff lets you know when you forget to shift the front axle into gear,, but its been a great machine.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic