This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

5.4 Check Engine Light ??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 5.4 Check Engine Light ??
    Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 7:51pm
Just what does it take to set the light off ??  I recently had my plugs/boots changed and everything went well for about 2 weeks and I developed "ignition" noise in my portable DeWalt radio that I use because the dash radio doesn't work. Well,the "ignition" noise went away but I am dropping a cylinder when in O/D and try to moderately  accelerate/maintain speed. The guy who helped  me has a scan tool but says if the light isn't on, a code can't be read Confused. Any thoughts on what it's going to take to get the light on ?
Sponsored Links

Dnoym N. S. Can. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dnoym N. S. Can. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 8:00pm
what year?

B:-)        Dnoym
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 8:02pm
I think it sounds like one or part of one of the coil packs is going.  My Tundra has coils on each plug.  One didn't snap down all the way and I had the symptoms you are describing.  Once I found it and corrected the problem I haven't had any problems since.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
TDF View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TDF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 8:04pm
My guess is coil. There are 8 of them. One per plug, that sit on top of the plug. As they go bad you'll get a miss under load, but wont throw a code. Eventually it will get bad enough to throw a code. Test them with an ohm meter to see if one is out of spec.

TDF

Edited by TDF - 05 Dec 2019 at 8:05pm
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by Dnoym N. S. Can. Dnoym N. S. Can. wrote:

what year?

Sorry, it's an '05
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by TDF TDF wrote:

My guess is coil. There are 8 of them. One per plug, that sit on top of the plug. As they go bad you'll get a miss under load, but wont throw a code. Eventually it will get bad enough to throw a code. Test them with an ohm meter to see if one is out of spec.

TDF

I wondered if they could be "ohmed" ? Do they need to be pulled to test or just the wire pulled for the lead? Thanks
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 9:04pm
I assume the motor did not "miss" prior to the plug change ?  After the plug change you had a misfire, but no code is set. You get a code when the misfire is "bad enough" to set the code and light. There are some readers that will find potential codes, or real time data showing which coil / plug is the problem......... That being said, since it just started on the NEW coils and plugs, it could be a premature failure, or it could be that too much dielectric grease or antisieze was put around the spark plugs wire ( boot) and it is shorting the spark out to the cylinder head... You options are to pull them apart and look for problems, wait for a "bad enough" miss to set the permanent code, or get someone with a more elaborate code reader that can get real time data.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 9:06pm
I have had some success in the past with "playing" with the throttle to get codes to set.. You can stomp on the throttle for a few seconds and get a heavy miss, then back off, then do it again, then back off, etc... and sometimes that will get it to set a permanent code.

also, if your buddy did not try to get the code, go ahead and connect the meter and see if it gives a code... sometimes there is a "potential code" recorded prior to the light coming on.

Edited by steve(ill) - 05 Dec 2019 at 9:07pm
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

I assume the motor did not "miss" prior to the plug change ?  After the plug change you had a misfire, but no code is set. You get a code when the misfire is "bad enough" to set the code and light. There are some readers that will find potential codes, or real time data showing which coil / plug is the problem......... That being said, since it just started on the NEW coils and plugs, it could be a premature failure, or it could be that too much dielectric grease or antisieze was put around the spark plugs wire ( boot) and it is shorting the spark out to the cylinder head... You options are to pull them apart and look for problems, wait for a "bad enough" miss to set the permanent code, or get someone with a more elaborate code reader that can get real time data.
Only plugs and boots were replaced. NO GREASE OR ANTISIEZE was used. There was a miss prior to the plug/boot change, that's why I had it done and all was fine for several weeks, other than the noticeable "snapping" on the radio. Will probably wait for the light to come on. Thanks
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 9:30pm
My son had the same pickup. He bought coil packs from the scrap yard. He kept 2 or 3 in the glove box at all times. It helps when he only lives a mile from the scrap yard.   I forget how he checked them. Sure sounds like your problem.
Dnoym N. S. Can. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dnoym N. S. Can. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 10:17pm
A clogged fuel filter in a Ford F-150
truck will cause its engine to sputter
and misfire.

Ford reprogrammed the PCM a

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2019 at 1:18pm
If you have replaced the coils and wires and it still does it,........ possibly the plugs are due ?
TDF View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TDF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2019 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by FREEDGUY FREEDGUY wrote:

I wondered if they could be "ohmed" ? Do they need to be pulled to test or just the wire pulled for the lead? Thanks

You can check if it's getting power or signal without pulling but need to pull it to see what the resistance is through it to really tell if it is bad. They aren't hard to remove.

TDF
mhankins View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhankins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2019 at 9:40pm
If the sel light came on,the ecm will have a history code stored in it,even if the light is not on now.
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 5:53am
If it hasn't flagged the CEL light it hasn't met the criteria yet to turn on the light.
You need a scanner and not a code reader. With a scanner you can go into 'functional tests' and look in 'Mode 6'. It will keep a record of the number of miss fires and which cylinder. If all cylinders you probably have another problem.
Also look at your fuel trims to see if it is running lean or not, weak fuel pump or flow, dirty or bad mass airflow etc.
bradley6874 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradley6874 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 7:45am
Hook a trailer to it and take a 10 mile trip the light will come on the load will make the miss bad enough to set code
You can wash the dirt off the body but you can’t wash the farmer out of the heart and soul
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 8:45am
If you have a noticeable popping on the radio then it is one of those new plug wires that is defective or is not seated completely and is arcing. I would pull each wire and reseat them. You can also spray the wires with a misting bottle of water in the dark while it is running and look for a visible arc.

I guess a coil pack could be breaking down internally and also causing the issue then you would need it to throw that code to narrow it down.

Edited by Stan IL&TN - 07 Dec 2019 at 8:47am
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic