This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Caution, safety first!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jiminnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Caution, safety first!!!
    Posted: 05 Mar 2010 at 11:17am
Has been nice wearther for a couple days, decided to start my WF, put on battery charger for an hour or so then tried it, Kaboom, battery blew, don't know if it was froze or dry but no acid, lots of cuts and bruises  and blood but not too bad, went to ER and got checked, need new glasses, shattered, so everyone be careful, I was lucky.
Sponsored Links

allallis2 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allallis2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2010 at 11:21am

holy crap. I've seen a batt. blow before but if their dry they just wont do anything. All the tractors we have I put trickel chargers on them to keep them active. Glad that you didnt get hurt to bad.

1955 G,1938 wc unstyled, 1938 A 1938 B, 1949 G
Steve-Ohio View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve-Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2010 at 11:47am
What causes such an occurance and what things should you do to avoid this happening.  It sound terrible.
Bob(FL) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob(FL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2010 at 11:54am
It could have been an internal short that caused a spark inside the battery when the charger was turned on and the gases blew up.  When I was a little kid our ford tractor battery was dead(6 volt) and I tried to jump it with the wd45 diesel, and put 12 volts into a 6 volt battery and it blew up in my face.
kip in cny View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kip in cny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2010 at 11:59am
not a fun time.  I have had three 8D batterys two group 31's and a couple group 24.  Its not fun.  Its made me gun shy around batterys.  Thankfully you wear glasses.   kip
160 CA 920diesel 5020 HD-3
ToddSin NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ToddSin NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2010 at 1:06pm
I had a pair of glasses shatered in my right eye. The glass was in my eye before I could close my eye. If this happens CLOSE both eyes! When you leave one eye open it still moves the one with the glass in it. This causes more damage then the glass. I'm glad there was a medic close by and made me do it!
Nathan (SD) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan (SD) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2010 at 1:46pm
Had one in a 08 Cvevy Duramax pop back in Aug. Hood was open with a guy 2 ft away. Luckily his back was towards it. Guy in the cab hit the key to start it and KABOOM. Acid all over the place. Blew the top right off of the battery. Worked fine 20 before when they drove it in the shop.
B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2010 at 4:02pm
Jim Glad to here you wern't hurt seriously, I bet it was frozen. About 40 years ago I was working with a guy installing a 8d batt in a frontend loader and he contacted both posts with a wrench, he grabbed it to free it and severly burned his fingers I never forgot it. take care Mark L
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2010 at 5:53pm
The Battery was probably frozen. Never charge a icy cold Battery. Bring it in overnight and let it thaw out or get to room temp before hooking a charger to it. They're like a hand granade when frozen...
Steve@B&B
Eldon (WA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eldon (WA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2010 at 8:19pm
I've heard enough of these stories to cause me to turn my back to any battery I have the charger hooked up to before I plug it in.....
ALLIS EXPRESS!
This year:
NickT(Ky) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickT(Ky) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2010 at 8:23pm
I started an IH diesel truck once and one of the batteries in the side box blew the cover off the truck. The truck started and I washed the acid off and left the truck running til I finished my route.
DREAM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DREAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2010 at 9:11pm
Glad you're going to be OK my friend. I have had enough experience with batteries that I always wear safety glasses, even when i'm just charging one in the shop. I had a small 12 volt in my garden tractor blow the top off when the hood hinge brackets broke and the hood shorted the terminals out. Luckily the hood kept the acid out of my eyes. Blew the entire top off the battery. Was almost dark out, man, what a fireball! Flash blinded for a few minutes, and waitng for the pain to start. Extremely relieved that it didn't get in my eyes. Always wear some kind of eye protection. Sulfuric acid don't play.
I took the battery with the top blown off and dumped the acid(Don't tell the EPA!) on a privet hedge stump that I had been trying to kill for years. Was dead and rotting within 2 weeks!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic