This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

d17 LPG overhaul

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisD17AndyOk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: d17 LPG overhaul
    Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 11:44am
Hello, been lurking here for a year, now onsite...brought a '69 D17 last year
that was parked in pasture for 20 years with a homemade car bullet muffler on it and needless to say, engine full of water. Been soaking pistons for a year, but still frozen. It is a factory LPG engine, and I do not want to buy an overhaul kit that loses compression below the factory 8.25 to 1 ratio. AGCO prices the original kit above $1600 dollars. Most other kits are from 5 to 700 dollars, but do not tell you the ratio. OKtractor lists a high compression kit for about $800 but when I called them they did not know the compression ratio or the psi per cylinder. I would like to achieve about 210 lbs psi since
is
Sponsored Links

AllisD17AndyOk View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisD17AndyOk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 11:59am
Sorry, must have hit wrong button...I want to achieve 210 lbs psi because I remember my dad upgrading our old wd45 50 years ago and testing at 210 on all cylinders. It was a good farm tractor there on LPG, but wouldn't hardly run on gas. I'm hoping someone has experience with the high compression kits and can tell me what psi they achieved with them...Thanks, Andy
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 12:08pm
180 psi is what the actual compression testing would show.  180 psi is AC service book spec.  210 psi is a gauge that reads high. Any more than 180 psi you will have detonation issues and there isn't any higher test LPG that I am aware of.  The last series 4   D-17 was built in Spring of 1967.   1969 was the third year for the One-Seventy ( summer 67-68-69)
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisD17AndyOk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 12:39pm
Sorry, Dr. Allis, I hit yet another wrong button, it is indeed a 59 model and I knew that. I seem to remember you speaking of a D19 that had factory LPG someone wanted you to change to gas and I think you said it was 210 psi and you never made it run correctly on gas. I remember (granted I'm getting older...) that the wd45 tested 210 lbs. and ran fine in the field on lpg but on gas you could only idle home to refill the lpg. I also remember the same compression gauge on our two wds showed 110 to 140 lbs. depending on wear. I really think it was accurate, but I also know you know your stuff way better than I ever will. Thanks
Boss Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boss Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 12:49pm
Should run fine with stock compression. I remember an old timer telling me they would convert engines in the early 70's to LP by putting hardened seats in the head and plumbing the LP equipment.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 1:27pm
It will run OK, but will be short of some HP.   A D-17 gas was 7.25 to 1 compression and an LPG was 8.25 to 1 compression. The Gasser was 53 HP while the LPG was 51 HP (from memory).  Yes, the D-19 LPG was 9.35 to 1 compression ratio, so it probably was 210 psi spec cranking compression, so maybe the LPG fuel is OK with that . They never did the G-226 that high, maybe concerned about connecting rod strength ???
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisD17AndyOk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 6:26pm
And the loss of horsepower is what concerns me as I read some of these previous threads, it appears that the kits I see are generic for wd, wd45, d17, and 170 tractors, and there are no lpg piston kit available except for Agco, which were $1600 dollars last year, I haven't checked this year to see if they are even available from them. I don't want to do a overhaul on a d17 and have less hp than a gas wd. That's what spurs my interest in the high compression piston kit.
alchpuller View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alchpuller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2020 at 9:49am
Use a sleeve / piston kit for a 201 WC or WD ,should be good for L P , also works for E 85
old farmer View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2020 at 10:01am
I got A and I 8.25 compression over bore pistons for my WD45. Pistons had numbers on the inside of for compression ratio. Also check out high altitude sets as they are generally about the same as lp sets
Lester View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2020 at 10:50am
Use 175 gas pistons that are also 8.25 to 1.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic