This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

7060 puller

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC 7060 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 7060 puller
    Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 6:46pm
I am wanting to build a hotfarm tractor I have a 7060 I have started on with a powerdirector. Is it Better to start with PD or a PS. Planing on putting 3 disk dry clutch in it
Sponsored Links

DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 6:49pm
PD for sure, you can always just delete it later
AC 7060 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC 7060 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 7:01pm
I was just asking after Dr mentioning that PS was 20 % faster can I use the PS gears in a PD transmission
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 9:09pm
"HotFarm" where I come from, have 466 cubes and are running 1,000 HP @ 3,000 rpm. What are you building ??
Bob C IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob C IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 6:14am
PD or PS you put in that dry clutch ain't nothin goin to work......it all has to rotate!!
AC 7060 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC 7060 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 7:50am
531cube 850cc p pump hx60 dry head ported and polished with bigger valves. Water injection and hardened rods 7080 crank
NEVER green View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NEVER green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 8:16am
You cant put PS gears in PD, they are planetary gears.
2-8050 1-7080 6080 D-19 modelE & A 7040   R50       
O.P.S. Heads View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O.P.S. Heads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 10:42am
I think Doc Allis was referring to the range transmission gears. I think high side is faster in a PS tractor.

I have though about this years ago. You are going to be making super farm kind of power with the set up you described. The PD transmission should hold up for what you are doing but the wet clutch won't last. There is a way to run a dry clutch and still use the power director transmission. It's been done before.

Now, if you really want to build something indestructible I had thoughts of using the power shift tranny case with everything inside removed and having a custom two or three speed gearbox built inside of the PS case. The power shift tranny bell housing area is a lot deeper and would have a lot of room for a multi disk dry clutch. It wouldn't be a 15 minute job, but something to think about. Pro fab could probably do it and not only would it be indestructible, but it would have provisions to change ratios easily also I would assume.

Edited by O.P.S. Heads - 12 Sep 2013 at 10:44am
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 4:37pm
You could actually remove the complete Power Director clutch assembly. Decide if you were going to use any of the existing hydraulics or mount a hyd pump on the engine.  Fill the void where the PD clutch used to be with something similar to the bottom 6 inches of a 15 gallon oil barrel and have a shaft seal in the center of it. Make a new splined clutch shaft to connect to the high range hollow shaft that would connect to your new steel flywheel and 3 disk clutch.  You'd then need to build a throwout brg sleeve, fork, linkage, etc.  Now, you'd have 5th - 4th - 3rd- 2nd - 1st - Reverse all in "high" button.  If you then replaced Low Range in the range tranny with a Power Shift high range set of gears, you'd have regular high range and 20% over high range in the range trans. If you used a 7030-7050 4th trans gear, it is 10% faster that all other 7000 series 4th gears. You could have four speeds pretty close together with one being 20% over current road gear. 7045 thru 7060 have the fastest final drives. All the gears would be easily sourced from salvage units. The clutch (I'd use a Crower-Glide myself) is easy. The clutch shaft and throwout mechanism would be custom built. You need to figure out where your tractor HP and gear ratios need to be to compete at the weight you will be running.  
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 6:36pm
Now that I have a calculator, approximate speeds of a 7060 with 20.8 x 38's @2300 RPM with a 7030/7050 4th gear and PST high range in the rearend are thus:.......4th high range is 15.6 mph......4th PST high range is 18.9 mph..... 5th high range is 19.7 mph.....5th PST high range is 23.9 mph.
AC 7060 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC 7060 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 7:04pm
Thanks Dr and everyone else lots of useful information here I will let you know on progress of this project. Still thinking and gathering parts
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2013 at 6:20am
Im not to familar with these, so you cant put a dry clutch on the engine flywheel on a 7000 series? What is meant by- it all has to rotate?
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2013 at 6:29am

Sure, the flywheel (or a steel flywheel) can have any kind of clutch you want. You just can't roll the tractor back together, as there is only a 3 to 4 inch deep cavity for any kind of dry clutch, and no throwout bearing mechanism. Get a 7000 series advertising brochure and there are good color cut-away pictures of the drivetrain to look at.

DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2013 at 7:07am
Ok i see ,,, i have one just never paid attention to that part as they are so heavy of tractors to start pullin with never had one apart ,,,I just put a clutch in a 6060 and theres a bunch of room for a Crowler in there! Was thinkin about a 426 in front of a 6080 with 8000 series sheet metal,, but thats another topic for some other time!

Edited by DougG - 02 Oct 2013 at 12:54pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic