This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Questrions for those who know the BIG ones.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AaronSEIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Questrions for those who know the BIG ones.
    Posted: 27 Aug 2013 at 4:06pm
Went to a East Central Iowa pull Saturday.  Those guys know how to put on a local pull.  Anyway, they had a 9,500 or 10,000 lb class that was NTPA.  650 cubes, multiple chargers, 24.5 rubber.  One of them went poof at 270' in front of me.  He opened the side to put the fire out and I swear that turbo was a foot around.  Guy was running 2 stacks, so I don't think they were staged.  I have never heard a more awesome sound in my life that those 3 tractors in that class.  I thought the turbo's had lit when they took off, but at about 25 or 50', I was pretty sure they had gained another turbo and sounded like they were gonna suck us all up.  Just unreal.

Question is, what in the 'ell is under that hood?  Class was 2 binders and a green one that had "3 or 4" turbos'.  Are the 2 turbo guys staged, or are they running half and half?  How much boost and what rpm do those things run at?

Second question.  They also had a 9,300 class with 650 cubes no rpm limit and a 4x4 turbo.  If a guy had the money and desire, what AC would work good in a class like that and what kind of money ground up would it take to build?
AaronSEIA
Sponsored Links

DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2013 at 6:23pm
I can answer one question! Im still learnin on some stuff just run out of time in a day! A D 21 is the good one to start with, big cube and factory light weight, or can be stripped easy, the cost varys so much, i myself want to work on the machine myself,,, labor gets expensive in a shop, like they say put enough money in it it will run! I myself like to mess with the AC 301 diesels you can get a lot of stuff out of that lil engine , the air and head flow always seem to cut the throats on the Allis but theres a couple guys on here working on that !!!

Edited by DougG - 27 Aug 2013 at 6:55pm
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2013 at 8:01pm
It was an "Open" class.  Pro-Stocks weighed 9500 lbs had 650 max cubes and one turbo with a 4.1 inch maximum diameter inlet on 24.5 x 32 tires. The Super Stocks (twin stacks) weighed 8200 lbs and were 3 turbos  and probably 540 cubes(unlimited size and in two pressure stages) and 30.5 x 32 tires.   I'd guess 16 to 1800 HP versus 24-2500 HP.   Wheel speeds on 8200 lb SSD of maybe 70 to 80 MPH ?
AaronSEIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AaronSEIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 5:43pm
So they were running 3 turbos.  I'd guess 2 feeding one, correct?  Split the exhaust manifold to get twin stacks.  What I thought was amazing was a guy from MN running a 4.1 class came into that one and pulled 3rd if memory serves.  If a guy won the lottery, how much would it take to build one?  I have got to get to more ECI pulls and try to get to the NTPA pull in Independence next year.
AaronSEIA
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 5:49pm
One big turbo sitting on the exhaust manifold like normal. The exhaust outlet of it splits into a "Y" and then spins each of the top two turbos which then exhaust thru dual stacks thru the hood. The top two feed fresh air thru a "Y" into the compressor of the one sitting on the exhaust manifold. Intake manifold pressures probably between 150 and 200 psi going down the track. Blairstown is this Sunday at noon.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 6:12pm
Is Aunt Allis pulling this year?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic