This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D17 lift

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D17 lift
    Posted: 03 Apr 2021 at 1:18pm
Today the lift of our d17 ser. III quited working good. It still goes up, but slow. The oil level was to low, and the rear end reservoir overfilled... think bad hose or cylinder will cause it?
For the most work I don’t need the lift, so I still can use the tractor.

Are there things to look out for when I start the repair?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links

DaveSB View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveSB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2021 at 6:16pm
Yep, probably the hose, maybe the cylinder leaking. It’s heavy to split there, and seems like it is hard to get to the a pin or something that want let you separate the halves.   As it sounds, it’s been a long time since I had to replace the cylinder hose on our D17, but it fixed ours from having the same problem.
1948 C, 1953 CA, 1948 WD, 1961 D-17 Series 2 Diesel, 1939 WC, 1957 D14
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 6:44am
Remove the lift arm housing.  Replace the lift cylinder hose with a new one. Repack the lift cylinder while in there. Too much work to do it twice.
Wot View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 2:09pm
Ok, will do. Just ordered the parts.
Is there also a pressure relief valve maybe somewhere that I need to check?
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 4:44pm
Not normally. Those lift hoses and cylinder packing fail every 20 or 30 years.
Wot View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 6:23am
Thanks. 
Last question, according to the parts book there is a pin that holds the cylinder. That pin can be found through a hole on the right, under the brakes. When I look in there I don't see that pin (with thread in it to remove according to the book) 
Or would there be dirt in front of it, and is it the pin I see on the picture?

Or am I looking wrong?

Thanks.

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 8:24am
You don't have to remove the pin. Just leave the barrel in the rear end and pull out the rod and reseal the barrel in-chassis. The pin is retained by a square headed bolt (with a jam nut) that comes from underneath the rear end.
Wot View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 1:59pm
Opened it today. The O-ring was blown away in the liftcylinder. Also changed the hose. Hopefully it it is ok now!

Other question, cause my servicemanual and operators manual say different things.
How much oil does the pd/hyd. compartment and the transmission/differential compartment need?

Bot 24 quarts?
(The other manual shows 28 qts. in both?)

Thanks!
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 2:02pm
Trust the dipsticks with the tractor on level ground. I'm thinking 5 gallons in the hydraulic and 6 gallons in the rear end.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic