This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D17 Amps

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D17 Amps
    Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 4:14pm
Hello,

My D17D ser. III has the original generator on it. Was wondering how much amps it should give?

It starts at about 1650 RPM and gives around 10AMP. max.

Is that like it should be?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 4:22pm
I dont know if your testing on the tractor or bench, but OUTPUT is dependent on battery condition.  Back then most cars had 30 amp generators. A lot of tractors were only 10-15 amps.. You dont NEED more than a few amps to charge the battery.. Now if the battery was DEAD and you jump started, you might see more  amps out of generator.

Edited by steve(ill) - 06 Mar 2021 at 4:29pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 5:23pm
The 12 volt D17 tractors will have either a  generator with a maximum output 20 or 25 amps, depending on with generator you have. If you sill have one of the 2 OEM generator numbers. To do an accurate check on the tractor you need a carbon pile load tester.  
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Leadoff View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leadoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 9:14pm
Wot

Are there other electrical loads that might be impacting the generator's capability to charge the battery.  The headlights will draw about 6-7 amps (total) when operating, and if you have any other lights hooked up to the tractor (working lights/trailer-wagon transport lights..........  The voltage regulator should allow more current from the generator to charge the battery and operate the lights, but it needs to be operating properly

I recently rebuilt my D17 IV Gas Generator and purchased a new Voltage Regulator.  I could not get the Generator to reach the 12 volt range until I cleaned the points on the voltage regulator (I assumed brand new would not be necessary)

Two things I learned about generators/charging systems to watch......
1. grounding of all connections/components is critical for optimum performance, battery terminals, wiring connections for all the wiring in the charging loop. 
2.  ensure the voltage regulator points are clean, especially if you are not operating the tractor on a regular basis.  A thin film might form on the points surface preventing good performance

Good luck with your charging system

1963 D17D Series III. 1965 D15 Series II. 1965 D17 Series IV. 1975 185. 1978 716H. 1979 716H. 1965 780 Harvester/1R&DC. 1957 Model 73 SC 4 Furrow Plow
Wot View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 12:27am
Thanks for your advise! I did cleaned and ground everything (before that it didn’t load)
With 2 headlights on and 1 workinglight on (and the dash light) it shows 2 or 3 ‘charge’ amps when I have half throttle. With more than half throttle the gauge starts to ‘shake’ at the same charging amps.

No problem at all, but just want to check if you think that is normal operation or I may check some things else in the system to get it may better.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 5:47am
One thing to remember  about generators vs alternators.
gennys are low current, so it could take hours to recharge a battery
alternators are high current,will quickly recharge a battery
if you do a lot of 'short trips', you're better with an alternator as it'll keep the battery charged. do short trips with genny and battery never ever gets fully recharged.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 8:33am
with head lights and work light ON and tractor at running speed... If your putting out 3 amps to a GOOD battery, that is fine.. Think of it as a trickle charge.. If the tractor set OFF with the lights on for 30 minutes, then start the motor, you probably get a little MORE CHARGE to get back to FULL........... your fine.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Leadoff View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leadoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 11:06am
Wot

Looks like your charging system is working very well.  Good for you keeping it original equipment and working well for all these years
1963 D17D Series III. 1965 D15 Series II. 1965 D17 Series IV. 1975 185. 1978 716H. 1979 716H. 1965 780 Harvester/1R&DC. 1957 Model 73 SC 4 Furrow Plow
Wot View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 2:11pm

That’s excactly the reason what I like about it, keep it as original as possible. But I want to check if I got the most out of it.

Thanks all for your help!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic