This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Idle RPM 20-35

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Idle RPM 20-35
    Posted: 06 Apr 2020 at 4:31am
Hi Guys,
What should the idle RPM be?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links

Jacob (WI,ND) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacob (WI,ND) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2020 at 11:07pm
I don't know how I missed this thread, just stumbled upon it.  But Idle is pretty low.  Short answer is as low as you can tune it.  Still fiddling with my '27, finally got it tuned decent after getting it running last summer, put it away for the winter, and now with this pandemic I don't know when I'll be able to get home to start it up again!  Getting antsy!

Why do you ask?
Jacob Swanson
1920 6-12; 1925,1926 20-35 longfenders; 1925,1926 15-25's; 1927,1929 20-35 shortfenders; C; B's; IB; WC's; WD; WD45
Wot View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2020 at 4:58am
Thanks for your answer!
I like to set it as the factory would have done
Oil pressure stays perfect on idle, so it can be really low as long as it runs smooth. But thought there was set a ‘minimum’ rpm out of the factory maybe.
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2020 at 10:12am
In this link an Allis sales brochure is shown and there it does not state the low idle rpm but it does tell the max load rpm of 930...... It is an interesting read and I'd love to find an original brochure some day. Here it is.... https://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1004&context=tractorpower
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2020 at 10:18am
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2020 at 10:29am
A little more info on why the 18-30 was rerated to the 20-35 and 20-35 was rerated to the 25-40

Edited by Lonn - 12 Apr 2020 at 10:29am
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Jacob (WI,ND) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacob (WI,ND) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2020 at 10:38am
I don't believe I have ran across any literature with an idle speed specified.  They usually only call out the working RPM, like Lonn said, usually 800-950 RPM depending on what year info you are looking at.  They slightly changed the max over the years, bumping it up slightly to get a little more power rating out of them.  They are always under rated as it is, that literature Lonn linked to (which I agree is a wealth of knowledge, I've referenced it before!) even talks about how they had to produce I think it is 43 HP tested at the factory on the belt before they were OK'd to ship.  Good strong machines they are!
Jacob Swanson
1920 6-12; 1925,1926 20-35 longfenders; 1925,1926 15-25's; 1927,1929 20-35 shortfenders; C; B's; IB; WC's; WD; WD45
Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2020 at 12:53pm
I put my original '28 on the dyno a few years back and it showed a steady output of 44.8 HP on the belt. Also won my class in the tractor pull that year!  Only one on steel wheels in that class.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic