This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

camshaft

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgburchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2013 at 3:05pm
anyone who's ever heard mlpankeys engines unless they are young and using the word sick in a hip way would not refer to them as a sick air compressor . most back up and stick there fingers in their ears in surprise cause they are use to the mad bumble be sounds most make instead of the deafening sounds a big inch one from him makes.
Sponsored Links

Gary in da UP View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary in da UP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2013 at 3:18pm
Pinch
BennyLumpkin View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BennyLumpkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2013 at 3:29pm
How about we stop constantly bringing him up? Stick to the subject on hand.
Central PA Allis Express
1934 WC254
1945 WF
1945 WC135755
1951 WD68085
1953 WD45-150217
1957 WD45D-230744D
B110
THE-MAN View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE-MAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2013 at 3:48pm
Gary, is that little guy saying " D'OH!"?
Mitch Burchard, this whole board has yet to find a legitimate person that has heard one run!! Maybe you can provide us with some video, like WI50 did. Did he have one at his close to home Crossroads pull?

Edited by THE-MAN - 25 Aug 2013 at 3:52pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary in da UP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2013 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by BennyLumpkin BennyLumpkin wrote:

How about we stop constantly bringing him up? Stick to the subject on hand.

Benny, Benny, Benny ! . Look at  Blues  own first post , he started the topic off with a slam on poor ol' mitch,  and lots of slang.  I give the guy an honest answer, and  get  drama in return.  He just wanted some attention.   He really don't about a cam, but its a stick to stir things up.
blue924.9 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blue924.9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2013 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by blue924.9 blue924.9 wrote:

well now that i have time and pank is gone so i can get some legit answers i can ask this. as you all probably know by now i am planning on rebuilding the motor on my 1950 wd, i am going with 4.125 bore and 4.5 stroke for 240 cubic inches. so far the plan is to stay at stock rpms, i will be pulling 3500 4000 and 4500 pound stock class dictating that i run first gear, so 2.5 mph and will hopefully be rolling on 14.9 by 28 rubber instead of my 13.6 by 28s though they seem to work very well, especially on hard packed tracks. i was wondering what camshaft i should get and where i should get it, every where is an option and not just guys from this site, thanks guys
how is that slamming pank? you ever try to start a thread with him on, nothing but bull crap, got to the point where no one would answer cuase it would stir him back up again. as for your answer i appreciate it and i am not questioning it but would just like some other grinds or kinds for a comparison, also ever since i gave you more detail as to what i was doing and clarified that i had a wd not a wd 45 everyone seems to think that i turned into a attention hog drama queen. all i did was ask a question
blue924.9 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blue924.9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2013 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by blue924.9 blue924.9 wrote:

Originally posted by Gary in da UP Gary in da UP wrote:

This topic has been covered many times before, past posts are a good place to start. Skip over the drama and read for the tech.  I  recommend a 175   Z code grind and have your machinist degree it for you.   Your mph, class's and tires   are the sweet spot for WD45 power levels.
well i tried, but as soon as i hit search it said i had timed out and made me start over, i tired it again today and it still did it, so where would i find a cam grinder worth his salt, and should i regrind mine or get a new one, i do believe i have the wd cam in the motor and a wd 45 cam in the parts shed, i was told it was the same, and kind of figured they were the same, what exactly do you mean by its the sweet spot for wd 45 power levels? i am confused by this, also i have no intentions of running any faster ever, so this means i am shooting for a torque monster and lugger rather than aiming for horsepower and rpms, thanks a bunch guys
i dont see how i returned your answer with drama, i said the serach function didnt work, i also asked some more questions like new cam or regrind and asked what you meant in your response, and finally told you i had no intentions of going to a higher mph class so i was shooting for a torque cam, figuring that maybe now that you knew i wasn't trying to spin insane rpms and go insane mph numbers your cam of choice mignt, might change now that you had more detail

Edited by blue924.9 - 25 Aug 2013 at 4:33pm
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2013 at 4:43pm
blue, Lighten up a bit, the drama Gary was talking about skipping over is the BS from the TVA crew. Basically ignore that and don't even reply to it.

Edited by CTuckerNWIL - 25 Aug 2013 at 7:01pm
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
blue924.9 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blue924.9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2013 at 4:51pm
ahh i see, couldnt really tell but figured this was a good way to find out, sorry bout that guys especially if i offended someone
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary in da UP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2013 at 4:56pm
 This is only a suggestion. Mitch is gone, let him be.    leave out anything that dosn't apply to camshaft  selection.  Do include pertinate info, and you did. Cu.in., rpm, speed limit, weights you want to run, tire size, and you mentioned that you didn't intend to pull elsewhere, so you were stuck for now with this for criteria.     It makes no difference if you have a wd or wd45, I said your criteria called for the wd45 power level.   I did not say to use a 175 cam, I didn't want to confuse you further , read my post I said  175 cam grind. Any  real puller has no problem understanding what I said or what is meant. Only a  rookie or a newcomer  or a drama queen here would  reply like you have right down to your last post. 
    Ken and Butch, Doc Allis, Wi50, and others, don't give out bad info here.  Me, I don't care no more, but show some respect.
blue924.9 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blue924.9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2013 at 7:48am
you are right, i am a rookie on my first season, unlike most i will admit it. i also have all the respect i can give for you guys
mattb View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2013 at 11:52am
usap allows the two trans setup in farmstock no different than a stepdown in a wc they told me. At 3mph it helps a lot.
Kip-Utah View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kip-Utah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2013 at 4:52pm
Really a 240 cubic incher at reasonable RPMs does fine with the stock grind indexed straight up and the valves properly set. At least it has in our WC with Hi-Crop gears pulling 2nd gear in a 4mph class at about 2000 RPM with 14.9x24 tires. Kip
HANSEN'S OLD ORANGE IRON. Showing, Pulling, & Going!!
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 7:27am
I agree with Ken/MI right at the beginning of this thread, and Kip right at the end. If you're limited to 2.5 mph, as a rule, a 45' engine would be perfect right in that general vicinity. IMHO, that 201 with a 45' crank installed, and a set of larger bore M&W's would work quite nicely. This would keep your wallet in check, and still give you a nice small inch motor to "play" with and dial it into the class as you learn. Kip is a perfect example. Small inch motor, dialed in right makes quite a bit of power for the class "fit". You can still have fun and not go broke. As for a cam, Barney used to widdle camshafts especially
for the WD45 motors, but I don't think he widdles cams anymore. Personally, I don't think you need a cam for what you want to run, but that's just my opinion...
blue924.9 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blue924.9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 7:58am
Originally posted by Steve in NJ Steve in NJ wrote:

I agree with Ken/MI right at the beginning of this thread, and Kip right at the end. If you're limited to 2.5 mph, as a rule, a 45' engine would be perfect right in that general vicinity. IMHO, that 201 with a 45' crank installed, and a set of larger bore M&W's would work quite nicely. This would keep your wallet in check, and still give you a nice small inch motor to "play" with and dial it into the class as you learn. Kip is a perfect example. Small inch motor, dialed in right makes quite a bit of power for the class "fit". You can still have fun and not go broke. As for a cam, Barney used to widdle camshafts especially
for the WD45 motors, but I don't think he widdles cams anymore. Personally, I don't think you need a cam for what you want to run, but that's just my opinion...
i didnt think i needed a cam either, till i went to a pull a few weeks ago and saw a wd 45 running open class power out in 4500 pound class, in 5000 he put it in first then powered out before 250 feet and and still powered out, at about 170 feet in his heavier classes. i was talking to him and this was what he was running 5.75 inch crank, custom heads ( he is a machinist) custom made block (again he machined it) custom pistons and sleeves ( didnt say how big specifically just said the biggest he could fit in the block) cam ( didnt say from where) beefed up clutch and 16.9 tires. if this combo is running out of power in his lighter weight classes i figure that mine will be just right since i am running a lighter and tamer weight class, i too also heard Barney doesnt do cams anymore

Edited by blue924.9 - 28 Aug 2013 at 8:01am
Glockhead SWMI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glockhead SWMI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 8:53am
Just because that guy has all that work done, (supposedly) doesn't mean it works. Don't get carried away. Do what you can and dial in your combination.
Ken(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 8:56am
Something about the story doesn't add up, I can not imagine him running out of power in 4500 or 5000, especially in first gear with what you describe unless it has some serious tuning and set up issues going on, or he was telling you tall tales.  A good running stock 45 weighted to 4500 lbs is just about impossible to stall in first gear, regardless of what the track is.
blue924.9 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blue924.9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 9:04am
Originally posted by Ken(MI) Ken(MI) wrote:

Something about the story doesn't add up, I can not imagine him running out of power in 4500 or 5000, especially in first gear with what you describe unless it has some serious tuning and set up issues going on, or he was telling you tall tales.  A good running stock 45 weighted to 4500 lbs is just about impossible to stall in first gear, regardless of what the track is.
well he may have been telling tales, but there are four or five other guys who say they saw it when he was building it, or maybe he was confused and he had it in third instead of first i really cant  be a hundred percent sure. but i know he is far from stock i dont know, maybe we put more weight in the sled than others??

Edited by blue924.9 - 28 Aug 2013 at 9:21am
jpankey View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by wi50 wi50 wrote:

What you really need to do is look through those old threads, even the one called "thinking of top fuel machining" from that mlpankey fella. It's to bad I cleaned out my file mamager and the pictures were deleted, you could read on and on in some of these threads where we (meaning several forum members) taught that pan key fella how to get rods to clear, how to degree cams, basic math and geometry principals, etc.

What does jpankey stand for there "jeaous pankey"

Anyway on a serious note your existing camshaft is about 20 degrees of duration short of what a good lower rpm pulling cam for one of these engines should be. What this means in simple terms is that your valves are open and moving air for a certain amount of crankshaft rotation. The engine can take advantage of more time to breathe, a longer duration can will do that. If the ranging has to much time to breathe meaning the duration is to long, it will pomp air back out the ports instead of trapping it and using it. If you look in your other thread there Blue, "where to get a cam" you'll find a prime example of specs for such a cam posted by pankey. A cam in that area will make your engine sound like a sick air compressor and you won't have any problem lugging, it'll kill plenty quick.

One of the advantages to a ground cam is that the valves will open at a faster rate, meaning less degrees of crankshaft rotation to get the valve open and in a range where it flows more air.You can also controll when the events happen by how the cam is ground and WHERE you position it, meaning how you time it to the crankshaft. I don't expect for a lot of people to understand how to measure out and degree a cam..... just don't take much previously posted information on this forum as it'll be a waste of your time. Spend $20 and buy a good book on these subjects.

I degree the cams, lock things togather and mark the gear when I send a cam out. Then there's little question. But people will still do something wrong, call and complain. Then once they get the plug wires back where they belong in the correct fireing order things are fine. Now I'm just giveing examples but i've learned a lot selling parts, never assume that everyone knows everything for sure. But those who are willing to learn will do well.

I've typically got some cams on hand if you want one, if you want some specs on what works well, I posted some recently, or send a pm pm, call sometime. I've gotten cams from certain grinders that just don't work well. It seams that everyone thinks lift is important and and wants as much as possible, it's better to have a little less with a little rounder nose, holding the valve at a lesser maximum height but for a longer period of time. Some engines are different, but you don't have to worry about these Allis is heads flowing much much air.
One of the ways to reduce the lift on the cam grind for a certain base circle to have a nose on the lobe is to use murphys 1.85 rockers . the less the lifter rises the less the pushrod flexes. .300 lobe lift x 1.85 rocker is .535 valve lift at .020 lash .
mgburchard View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgburchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by jpankey jpankey wrote:

Originally posted by wi50 wi50 wrote:

What you really need to do is look through those old threads, even the one called "thinking of top fuel machining" from that mlpankey fella. It's to bad I cleaned out my file mamager and the pictures were deleted, you could read on and on in some of these threads where we (meaning several forum members) taught that pan key fella how to get rods to clear, how to degree cams, basic math and geometry principals, etc.

What does jpankey stand for there "jeaous pankey"

Anyway on a serious note your existing camshaft is about 20 degrees of duration short of what a good lower rpm pulling cam for one of these engines should be. What this means in simple terms is that your valves are open and moving air for a certain amount of crankshaft rotation. The engine can take advantage of more time to breathe, a longer duration can will do that. If the ranging has to much time to breathe meaning the duration is to long, it will pomp air back out the ports instead of trapping it and using it. If you look in your other thread there Blue, "where to get a cam" you'll find a prime example of specs for such a cam posted by pankey. A cam in that area will make your engine sound like a sick air compressor and you won't have any problem lugging, it'll kill plenty quick.

One of the advantages to a ground cam is that the valves will open at a faster rate, meaning less degrees of crankshaft rotation to get the valve open and in a range where it flows more air.You can also controll when the events happen by how the cam is ground and WHERE you position it, meaning how you time it to the crankshaft. I don't expect for a lot of people to understand how to measure out and degree a cam..... just don't take much previously posted information on this forum as it'll be a waste of your time. Spend $20 and buy a good book on these subjects.

I degree the cams, lock things togather and mark the gear when I send a cam out. Then there's little question. But people will still do something wrong, call and complain. Then once they get the plug wires back where they belong in the correct fireing order things are fine. Now I'm just giveing examples but i've learned a lot selling parts, never assume that everyone knows everything for sure. But those who are willing to learn will do well.

I've typically got some cams on hand if you want one, if you want some specs on what works well, I posted some recently, or send a pm pm, call sometime. I've gotten cams from certain grinders that just don't work well. It seams that everyone thinks lift is important and and wants as much as possible, it's better to have a little less with a little rounder nose, holding the valve at a lesser maximum height but for a longer period of time. Some engines are different, but you don't have to worry about these Allis is heads flowing much much air.
One of the ways to reduce the lift on the cam grind for a certain base circle to have a nose on the lobe is to use murphys 1.85 rockers . the less the lifter rises the less the pushrod flexes. .300 lobe lift x 1.85 rocker is .535 valve lift at .020 lash .
you really shouldn't worry about someone degreeing a cam in a block and crank that's not the one your going to use . cam will have a centerline from grinder .installing it straight up would be as close as phasing it to a crankshaft installed in a block that your not using either piece of.

Edited by mgburchard - 28 Aug 2013 at 6:36pm
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2013 at 7:22am
Being the gentleman you talked to is a machinest, obviously, he has an advantage to build something that is completely customized the way it sounds. Stick with the stock block and do some minor mod's. You'll be a bit surprised how much power and torque the smaller AC engines make! Its your Tractor, and you can do what you want to do, but looking at it at a "fun" standpoint with limited funds, you can still have a ball and not have to spend big bucks to make your WD talk. Just remember. Its all in the combination. And, it may take quite a while to find that combo, but once you've found that combo, its gratifing to have a Tractor that runs and pulls good, and brings attention to the competition. Keeps em' on their toes...  Big smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic