This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

6.9 Ford/IH

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 6.9 Ford/IH
    Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 4:11pm
Anybody knowledgeable on these? I've got one in a 86 F250. As long as the cold idle solenoid is on it runs great. Soon as the cold idle goes off it runs rough and smokes a little grey/blue smoke and the fumes are pretty bad. I asked this on a Ford forum but some of the folks over there can be a$$holes and I just don't want to go back. One suggested its a bad injector. I've also been told air in the system but I figure if it's air it wouldn't run good on cold idle then bad on normal. Any thoughts (other than tannerite)? I'm not sure exactly how many miles are on it because it has a 5 digit odometer. Every 100K it reads 0 and I sure don't know how long it's been since it had injectors. I did put return lines and caps on last summer

Edited by thendrix - 30 Apr 2018 at 4:14pm
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
Sponsored Links

jordan watson View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jordan watson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 8:41pm
Usually if they are getting   air in the system they will be hard to start because the system has to reprime. To try to eliminate air park it with the nose down hill. That should keep the fuel up at the engine instead of returning to the tank. A bad injector could be possible but I would bet more on pump problems cause it sounds like it is over fueling. If I'm not mistaken on cold start the pump advances the timing. Parts for those engines are pretty cheap on eBay. Maybe that will help you some.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 11:58pm
our family stables had one of them, kept losing injectors and glow plugs. glow plugs was almost a monthly replace, even in summer
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 1:32am
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

our family stables had one of them, kept losing injectors and glow plugs. glow plugs was almost a monthly replace, even in summer

Hence the acronym FixOrRepairDaily
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Les Royer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Royer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 3:21am
Try getting a sample of fuel out of the schrader valve while its running. If it's foamy, you got air. You can possibly narrow it down by switching tanks, see if it's any different. Pull the injectors yourself and have them tested. There ain't much to these motors. Bet its one or the other. Mine ran kinda the same way and I had a hole rubbed through on the fuel line between the selector valve and fuel pump.

The lines going to the rear tank were so rusted and riddled with holes it wouldn't suck fuel from the rear tank at all.

Edited by Les Royer - 01 May 2018 at 3:43am
I still gots my A/C but it's clear out in the barn now.
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 7:00am
I didn't think about the Schrader valve. I swapped the pump to another from a junk yard due to a similar problem but it didn't really fix it. It got better just not fixed. If I can get it running reliably I'm going to sell it and a few more things and try to find a newer gas burner.

Edited by thendrix - 01 May 2018 at 7:01am
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
Wdtractorman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wdtractorman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 8:41am
Originally posted by thendrix thendrix wrote:

Anybody knowledgeable on these? I've got one in a 86 F250. As long as the cold idle solenoid is on it runs great. Soon as the cold idle goes off it runs rough and smokes a little grey/blue smoke and the fumes are pretty bad. I asked this on a Ford forum but some of the folks over there can be a$$holes and I just don't want to go back. One suggested its a bad injector. I've also been told air in the system but I figure if it's air it wouldn't run good on cold idle then bad on normal. Any thoughts (other than tannerite)? I'm not sure exactly how many miles are on it because it has a 5 digit odometer. Every 100K it reads 0 and I sure don't know how long it's been since it had injectors. I did put return lines and caps on last summer

I dont know the answers but iv had the same problem on the ford fourm. Iv got a 67 f350 that im trying to find out what kind of one peace wheels i can use one it and they have been no help.
Les Royer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Royer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 9:22am
Are they split rim 16.5 Will?  8 Lug?

Seems I ran into that once and if'n you steal......I mean borrow the 16 inch rims off Tylers truck and run 285 metric tires on them they are about the same height.

But don't borrow any of Tylers chickens tho because he takes roll call every morning and he'll notice a couple of em missing.  Amd they still do hangins at the town square fer chicken rustlin
I still gots my A/C but it's clear out in the barn now.
Wdtractorman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wdtractorman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 11:15am
Yes there 2 peace wheels. And have those funk ever other raised spot for the lug nut
Clay View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 1:29pm
I have a 1983 F250 with a 6.9 diesel.  
As several have said, it sounds like air in the system.
Bleed the schrader valve  until air is gone and fuel comes out.
A hole in a line can be a source of air.

Edited by Clay - 01 May 2018 at 1:30pm
EricTn View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EricTn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 2:23pm
I had an 87 model and the water separator gave me problems!
EricTn View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EricTn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 2:26pm
Also a bad ground can affect the injector pump electric cutoff solenoid.
ihc pickups View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ihc pickups Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 3:24pm
I have an 83 F-250 that I bought new with 6.9. Now working on 350,000 miles working on engine #3 and cab#2. I have replaced pumps, injectors, return lines, injector caps. There is a place in Topeka, KS that I call with issues I cannot figure out. Do you see any fuel spots after it setting? Sounds to me like you are getting air in the fuel system somewhere.
Mike
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 3:37pm
No fuel spots that I have seen. I'm going to open the Schrader valve and see what comes out and we'll go from there
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 11:57pm
around here no one will fix or work with split rims. Dodge 8 bolt rims will fit on the ferd.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic