This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

rust

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: rust
    Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 2:33am
the old lady's burb (2002) is rusting out on the rear lower fenders like they all do/are. twice I've seen plastic covers that go over this area on same body style burbs. but unable to find them for sale anywhere. every where I've asked, they say they don't make such a thing. but I know someone does cuz I've seen them on the vehicles. I stopped one owner and he said his came like that (bought used). they are the same colors as the vehicles. they (I think) are a stick on, as I don't see any rivits or screws. I even checked JC Whitney. these covers go between the fender well and the bumper. can find all kinds of these for the rusted out ferds, but not GM. PffffT!
Sponsored Links

thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 5:51am
Maybe people figure a GM won't last long enough to rust? (Poke poke poke)

I bet if JD made the suburban they'd run forever (that's a sharp stick )
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 6:01am
Originally posted by thendrix thendrix wrote:

Maybe people figure a GM won't last long enough to rust? (Poke poke poke)

I bet if JD made the suburban they'd run forever (that's a sharp stick )

X2. My first thought when I read Shameless' post. Glad we don't have to salt the roads around here very much. My old '87 has a lot of surface rust but that is because the fine factory paint peeled off on the silver part.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 6:25am
Shameless, are you talking about fender flares?
Looking at the past to see the future.
'53 WD, '53 WD45, WD snap coupler field cultivator, #53 plow,'53 HD5B dozer

Duct tape.... Can't fix stupidity. But will muffle the sound of it!
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 7:56am
OUCH.....dang Tyler! whew! yet another one added to my "list"! Dar...yeah...maybe that's what they call them...dunno! what I call things, and what others call things are 3 different things I guess!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 7:57am
the burb runs fine, just rusting out behind the rear wheels.
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 8:00am
Shameless if you have pick up dress up shop anywhere close, go there. If they don't have the flare in stock they can tell you where to get them.
Gordy View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 8:39am

Same thing with my 01 Silverado fender flares took care of it, Go to ebay type in gm fender flares to see lots of them.
“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough”
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 12:20pm
Cover the holes with duct tape, followed by a little spray paint, and you're done! CHEAP! Lol!
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 1:47pm
You can fix anything with duct tape and bailing wire.
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 3:29pm
I believe I would look very seriously at rhino lining in the wheel wells
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 3:29pm
The SLT package came from the factory with plastic flares installed. they are adhered on with screws in the lip. Or the dealer could install them if you wanted. the factory flares are available many places you'll need to put rust stop on your existing fenders before installing them or it'll expand right past them. clean out the inner fender drain holes and shoot rust stopper up in there also.
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 6:16pm
You might try a place in Des Moines called Accessory Pros or S&C Automotive. Most of the add ons we get come from Accessory Pros. There was also a place called Cliff's, but I'm thinking they got bought out.

Edited by Brian Jasper co. Ia - 26 Apr 2018 at 6:17pm
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 9:03pm
Dale they make a glue on metal one. I think Tony, the shop foreman, got them from LKQ or O'Reillys. I think the special glue comes with them. Dog gone this memory of mine. They might have been Stainless. I know it took a little sanding, NO SNOW, seems like he had them on in a couple of hours.
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2018 at 1:05am
Transport yourself back in time and get a set of 1958 Mercury Turnpike Cruiser West Coast fender skirts.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2018 at 1:25am
thanks ya'll, i'll look at all the places mentioned, and see what I can find!
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2018 at 5:48am
My 01 burb and 02 pickup both have plastic coverings on the fenders from the factory. Maybe you can find em at a salvage yard. If you do opt for the "duct tape" fix, keep in mind that you can get that it in passionate pink or camo, so you wouldn't even need to paint it. Darrel
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2018 at 9:32pm
lol....I vote for camo!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2018 at 9:33pm
woohoo...maybe while i'm up there helping you I can ste...uh...borrow them covers off your burb!
Les Royer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Royer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2018 at 10:35pm
Theres a Ferd rusting? Where?
I still gots my A/C but it's clear out in the barn now.
Les Royer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Royer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2018 at 10:45pm
Oh I wouldn't worry about it Shameless, she seems pretty content driving yer favorite tractor to work. LOL

I still gots my A/C but it's clear out in the barn now.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 1:17am
I just about.....
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 1:18am
see Les....that's what yers would have looked like, cept the tires would have been that color too!
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 6:03am
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

woohoo...maybe while i'm up there helping you I can ste...uh...borrow them covers off your burb!

The ones on the burb are color matched to the burb, and they are that tan-nish color that GM calls peuter. That color wouldn't look right on your burb. So maybe you should take the one's off the pickup. They are a generic black. Only trouble with that, though, is that there are only three of em. One fell off on me when I was going down the interstate one day. Guess the crazy glue finally gave out, or else the guy in the factory didn't put enough crazy glue on that one. Darrel
johnkc View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnkc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 7:35am
The old lady’s burb? Don’t you mean the loving wife’s?
I support the development of hybrid automobiles and alternative fuels as I need DIESEL fuel for my ALLIS CHALMERS!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 9:13pm
yeah...John....but sometimes...she's just an "old lady"! (and if'n you tells her that, i'll hunt you down)!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic