This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Well that was one for the ages

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Well that was one for the ages
    Posted: 19 May 2020 at 7:50am
Our family has been in this area since 1948. We got over 5 1/2 inches of rain at our place in a little over 24 hours. That simply doesn't happen around here,.. . . .er, didn't! There was water laying and running in places that my Dad has never seen in his 82 years.

Tried to bring the cows and calves into "relatively" higher-drier area to eat last night. Boy, that was a blast. 3 hours of fun filled temporary corral building and moving stuff around. Then to try and herd them through the mud pit up to the hill while they could still make it. All in a continuing downpour.

The fun started before all that.... House is only 12 years old, water leaking all around the chimney chase. Have water damage on 3 levels: the roof obviously, it's a 2 story house so the floor of the upstairs/ceiling of main floor bathroom, then living room carpet in front of the hearth and fireplace, then on down to the basement, all the drywall and crap on the way.

I went up on the roof. 12 12 pitch roof in the wind and rain walking around trying to figure out WTF is wrong. That's fun. I can't tell what's wrong. All the flashing is in place, no missing shingles, ridge cap fine, top of chase in tact, . . . . . .????

Then on to the farm. Road between me and the farm under water. We didn't come home that way as it was beginning to wash out. So we went around the block, only to find that road was beginning to wash out too! Never seen that before. Wasn't sure I'd be able to leave the property this morning if both directions were washed out! But there was a one car wide passage left.

To the southwest of me, they have it much worse. Numerous roads and bridges gone or damaged beyond use.

Going to be interesting. 1 field of beans planted Saturday before this all happened. Another field I'll have to wait for it to dry out and then plant. Wondering which will fare better in the end.

Of all the years in my life, this is one of them!
Sponsored Links

desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2020 at 8:44am

DANG,,,TBONE,,,,,5 1/2" in 24 hours,,,,wgew,,,,like you say,,it must of been pouring down  like crazy,.. I just cannot imagine that much rain as our yearly is just a few more than that downpour. I'll bet ole Mr Webster invented that word just for happenings like that,,,!!!  whew,,!! Hoping all is good for you after all that,,,,,Clap
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2020 at 8:47am
Sounds like North Central MN. When we buy and plant seeds we look for the ones that are hybridized to swim when needed. LOL  Hope you fare well with this, it's bad enough out there for now.
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2020 at 10:21am
Original forecast I saw was continuous rain from Sunday morning 8AM until Monday morning 10AM.  It hasn't really stopped yet at 11AM Tuesday.  I don't have a gauge but the reports around me is only 3".  I'm thinking since it was mentioned, it has never been seen before, it might have something to do with some sorta change going on!!
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2020 at 2:12pm
Which part of Michigan? 1-1/2" in our area.

Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2020 at 3:22pm
We have had a wet spring around here, already have more than half of our usual rainfall for the year. I had one downpour while at the farm a month or so back and it looked like rain was coming down on the inside of the fireplace chimney. Be careful navigating those washed out roads, sometimes the water undercuts the roadbed and you don't have a solid surface even though it looks okay.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2020 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by Dusty MI Dusty MI wrote:

Which part of Michigan? 1-1/2" in our area.

Dusty
I was going to ask the same thing LOL!!  We received 1.6" along the South Bend/Elkhart/ Niles/ White Pigeon area this past "event". In this same area  around '09, we had 10+ inches of a steady rain that flooded ALL of the local creeks, ponds and lakes to the point of public boat launches and boat traffic were shut down Wink (in 24 hours).

Edited by FREEDGUY - 19 May 2020 at 5:16pm
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2020 at 5:51pm
South of Green Bay eastside of Wisconsin one place reported 7 inches this Monday morning  and more afternoon, evening into Tuesday, haven;t heard the final total.
knkrein1 View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knkrein1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2020 at 6:30pm
Well I just checked the rain gauge and dumped out just under 4" , and I dumped out just over 3" from the last rain. I got water standing in one of my wheat fields.
Ken R.
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2020 at 11:52pm
Well Tbone and others, I hope damages are not as severe as they look right now... I remember back around 2007 having 13" of rain in 36 hours... right at soybean harvest time. YUCK!Sick
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 7:10am
I'm, . . . .uh.....lucky? Look up Midland, MI and what's going on there. Follow the Tittabawassee River north of there, and everything is major screwed up and going to get worse as crest is tomorrow and 4 feet higher than now. They're saying downtown Midland could be under 9 feet of water!

I'm east of the river toward Lake Huron, and a ways north of Midland. The shore of Lake Huron is all jacked up, was last fall too! Other than an hour or so being added to any drive to the west or south because there are only a few roads left, I'm OK and the cows made out OK. I haven't been to my soybean field yet to see if anything is left because I'm dealing with my roof and damage in the house. Friggin' don't build 'em like they used too!

Plan to go check out the field tonight. I still have lots of acres to plant.....Rain forecast for Memorial Day.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 7:12am
Freedguy and Dusty, you don't know about our area because there aren't many people here and nothing ever happens!!! Hahaha, but Midland, yeah, once the water hit there is when it made the news.   The people north of there had it every bit as bad.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 7:16am
Interesting, knkrein1 and Dusty, you guys aren't that far away from each other!
knkrein1 View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knkrein1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 7:51am
Tbone95 I meet Dusty last year while he was unloading his AC D-10 for the bridge crossing.
Ken R.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 8:45am
That's cool Ken! I thought it was interesting how close you two are with that drastic of a difference in rainfall.

Cool to meet forum members. The only one I've "met" was Ivan, and that was only and all business related.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 8:50am
I just saw you Governor on the TV talking about the two DAMS that broke and flooding... GET OUT QUICK she says... MOVE NOW...... BUTT, BUTT.. dont forget your MASK !! Wink
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 9:12am
You mean Governor Wretched Gritmer? At least she won't be governor long, she'll be our next VP!!! Oh man...…………..I'm sorry, I can't even joke about that without gagging
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 9:27am
YEP.... that does kind of make you throw up/ gag  a little bit in you mouth !!
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 10:09am
Nawh, Biden wants his running honey to wear loose skirts.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 4:03pm
Tbones, your gonna need a bigger boat.

[TUBE]cvyTcdUX87s[/TUBE]

[TUBE]BCn2B54zjbs[/TUBE]

[TUBE]FeugvOmol10[/TUBE]

[TUBE]bsMpTsrsFN4[/TUBE]

Edited by chaskaduo - 20 May 2020 at 4:07pm
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 6:09pm
Thing is, midland is getting the press and coverage, because it’s a rich town, Dow Chemical is there. Beautiful little city really. Our governor Wretched Gritmer has declared a state of emergency there.....so far nothing for the counties north of there where the carnage started. Don’t get me wrong, nothing against midland, just that others need the help too.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

Freedguy and Dusty, you don't know about our area because there aren't many people here and nothing ever happens!!! Hahaha, but Midland, yeah, once the water hit there is when it made the news.   The people north of there had it every bit as bad.
Thanks for the reply, our local weather people do a descent job of "regional" radar predictions but didn't say anyone/anywhere was to get what you guys got Confused.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 6:12pm
In the last link chas posted, that green ring is a farmer’s market, so that is a roof a good 12 -14 feet tall.
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 7:59pm
You folks around Midland have been hammered by rain. We got 5" over 3 days from Friday to Monday. Son lives west of Saginaw and said all bridges over the Titabawasee were closed this morning. He had to drive south almost to Owosso to head east and then north to get to work. Took about an hour and half. I hope and pray you folks stay safe. As for our Governor, I hope Biden gets her! He deserves her !
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 8:30pm
What? No fishing ban? Not even from a motorized  boat?
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 8:57pm
Some places got around 8 in maybe 26-27 hours.
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 11:14pm
and we have not had rain in 30 plus days for the month of april our wettest  month of the years floods dont do any good either hope you guys are allright  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic