This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

allis B varient

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: allis B varient
    Posted: 23 Mar 2024 at 7:42am
        What is a Allis B   Asparagus Special    Post a picture  if  posible
Sponsored Links

Ken in Texas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2024 at 8:08am
i guess the asparagus B is a High Crop B
Nathan (SD) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan (SD) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2024 at 10:03am
Swinfords book has a picture. Tractor has hand brakes and the handles were outside the fenders. Straight fenders much like the Waukesha B had. Inset tall wheels and very narrow tread.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan (SD) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2024 at 10:10am
This one has the wheels outset instead. So it has normal fenders.

PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2024 at 11:01am
As per the parts book, the Asparagus special had 38" rear tires. The Potato Special had 28" rear tires.
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
john2189 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john2189 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2024 at 11:25am
Gesh, it’s hard enough to get on and off of a normal B how do you get on one of those?
'41 Allis B
'45 Allis B
'49 Farmall Cub
'72 IH Cub
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan (SD) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2024 at 11:53am
Originally posted by PaulB PaulB wrote:

As per the parts book, the Asparagus special had 38" rear tires. The Potato Special had 28" rear tires.

I hope somebody can dig out their Swinford book. I think maybe I am mixing up the fender deal with the potato B.

The pic I put up is an asparagus model with the 38s.

Does the parts book show potato fenders by any chance ???
Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2024 at 12:19pm
Just looking in Swinford's book, page 53.  The potato 'B' had the handbrake levers outside the fenders.  the Asparagus Special had them inboard. It had 29 inches clearance under the front axle and 28 inches under the rear.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2024 at 1:06pm
CANE --- the one on the right has the Thompson front axle..

Edited by steve(ill) - 23 Mar 2024 at 1:17pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2024 at 1:11pm
This was listed as a 1940 Potato Special

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2024 at 1:15pm
It appears to have hand brakes and flat fenders... Possible more narrow with the wheel setup.

Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2024 at 4:54pm
Heck, if I was able to climb up on that bad boy, I'd git' a nose bleed. Just ask Fred... Big smile
Steve@B&B

39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2024 at 5:49pm
That potato 'B' has the same rear wheels with those special lugs as the factory picture in Swinford's book. 
wade89 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wade89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2024 at 8:53pm
Anyone know if they changed the gear ratio in any of the special variants or high crops? First always seemed a bit fast to me when cultivating and I imagine the taller tires would only speed her up?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2024 at 9:23am
According to Swinford, the cane tractors had special gearing to slow them down.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic