This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis Chalmers 442 Baler

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RP Farms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allis Chalmers 442 Baler
    Posted: 21 Mar 2024 at 10:15am
My dad and I found this baler and just went and got it last night.  We intend on baling some square hay, this thing is a gem and trailed behind the truck like a dream.  Ran it at the guys house and put a few bales of hay into it, the knotters worked, no odd sounds.  
Best part it came with a bunch of parts, one of which is a complete knotter assembly, a gearbox, an assortment of gear, a driveline..... 

It's going to look great behind the D 15!

Edited by RP Farms - 21 Mar 2024 at 10:17am
Sponsored Links

RP Farms View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RP Farms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2024 at 10:17am
RP Farms View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RP Farms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2024 at 10:18am
AllisFreak MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisFreak MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2024 at 4:54pm
I bet she'd clean up nice. 
'49 A-C WD, '51 A-C WD, '63 A-C D17 Series III, 1968 A-C One-Seventy, '82 A-C 6060, '75 A-C 7040, A-C #3 sickle mower, 2 A-C 701 wagons, '78 Gleaner M2
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2024 at 5:40pm
Dad had a 444 and I had a 443. One of my uncles had a 442 and, IIRC, it was quite different than the 443 or 444. I know his was a "short pole" baler (not sure if they all were or not).

It seems like someone once told me that an outside company built the 442 for AC, but I could be wrong about that. It's been a lllooonnnggg time!!!
acjwb View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acjwb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2024 at 7:45pm
442 were built overseas and imported.  443 and 444 were built here.
rms61moparman(Ky) View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rms61moparman(Ky) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2024 at 8:04pm
I pulled a lot of bales off the chute of one just like that! Darn good baler as long as you quit baling in the afternoon.
It didn't like hay that the dew was coming up in. It would start missing about every 3rd one. 
When it started missing you might as well quit, and for heaven's sakes, don't try to adjust it just to finish up. We did that once and fought it half of the next day.

Mike
DanielW View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanielW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2024 at 4:27am
Superb balers - very heavily built, made in Britain. In my opinion they had the best of many worlds: They used heavy, indestructible gearboxes like the IH balers of the time (also made in England), they had the smooth dual fork sync'd feed mechanism like the Masseys which were great for not making banana bales (when timed correctly), they used the same Rasspe knotters as NH's, so parts are easily found, and because they were made in Britain during their first trial with the metric system, things like the reel cam bearings are standard metric ball bearing you can get anywhere for minimal cost.

Yours even has the original knotter cover: I've never seen one still on the baler - most were taken off and lost. Excellent find. I love my 442. I had to do a pile of work to it because the PO let it sit unused out in the weather for years and the water getting into everything and freezing/rusting caused havoc: I cut out and welded new tracks in for the plunger, modified the plunger to use NH/Deere plunger bearings (the Allis ones aren't available), new reel bearings & roller chains, new plunger crank bushings and rod, several new knotter parts, etc. But it's a superb baler now: I don't think it missed a single tie last year.

Edited by DanielW - 22 Mar 2024 at 11:33pm
tractorboy View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tractorboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2024 at 2:14am
Nice find !!Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic