This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD4 coolant foaming over issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daelric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD4 coolant foaming over issue
    Posted: 29 Jan 2022 at 12:00pm
Hi all,

I'm having an unfortunate issue with my HD4 again and I'm afraid I've really done something terrible to the old girl. I hope I'm wrong.

I'm up in Canada and we had a good extended cold snap back in Nov/Dec where the temps were down to -25 C (around -13 F) for extended periods. I used my machine for some digging work along a creek since the banks were nice and frozen, and I figured a machine like this could handle working in that kind of cold as long as I let her warm up long enough before getting to it.

Well, I used her a few times in these temps for some HARD work, and things were fine... I probably did about 3 sessions with no apparent problems or issues with the machine. On the last time I used it for that though, I did notice some coolant drips along the trail after I drove it back up and parked it. I just figured it was a bit of overflow though since I had been working her hard. I should note here that unfortunately my water/coolant temperature gauge is non-functional... I have a new one one the way!

Cut to a few days later, it was still bitterly cold and we had some snow, and I needed to clear some of it and I decided to use the machine to pile it up into a big pile. I managed to get her started and allowed her to idle/warm up a few minutes like usual, and then got to moving snow.

Now I figure the snow moving isn't nearly as hard on the machine as the digging work I was doing, and yet I wasn't half way done the job when all of a sudden a bunch of foam started coming out the radiator cap and was spraying everywhere due to dripping down and getting blown hard by the fan. I quickly took a look and it was just pouring out the overflow tube and foaming out the cap.

Needless to say I moved as quickly as I could to park the machine under cover in the shed and shut her down.

I've been working on her ever since trying to diagnose the problem and what I can do about it. Of course my immediate fear was a cracked block due to the cold (maybe I hadn't let her warm up enough?) or a blown head gasket.

Here's all the things I've done/checked so far.

I've checked the oilpan and there's no sign of any water/coolant in the oil... whew!

I've also taken apart the thermostat and checked to ensure it's still working as intended, and it's fine. There was a lot of rust in the thermostat and pipes though, so I completely drained and flushed the system and ran Prestone cooling system flush/cleaner TWICE, and gave the system a good flush with water multiple times and in between cleaner flushes, and refilled with fresh coolant (this is all happening after the cold snap now by the way, temps are above freezing by a few degrees).

After doing all that I started her up again to see if she'd still foam out the radiator cap and it looks like she is unfortunately... but not right away. It takes like 10-15 minutes of warm-up/medium idle until the foaming starts to show up. But I also know now that the system isn't overheating because I have an IR thermometer and the block is getting nowhere even close to overheated (less than 200 F).

So now I'm left wondering if I have a blown head gasket. But it's weird to me because I would think if that was the case bubbles/foam would appear pretty much immediately upon start up, no? But what I find is that the foaming doesn't happen until after a significant amount of warm-up/idling (10-15 minutes as mentioned above).

I've taken a video of the symptoms and I'm hoping to get some insight. I'm no mechanic so I'm not sure if what I'm seeing is "obvious" indication of a blown head gasket (or something else). It's also weird to me how it appears to expand and flow out the overflow, and then it'll really bubble and the level will drop, but then it'll rise up again and flow out the overflow steady, until another bubble and level drop. If it was a blown head gasket, wouldn't the bubbling be constant instead of sporadic like this?

As always help is much appreciated!

YouTube video here:

https://youtu.be/KCKUQTiXYqo

And here's what happens upon shut-down:

Edited by Daelric - 29 Jan 2022 at 12:06pm
Sponsored Links

orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2022 at 2:01pm
orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2022 at 2:04pm
Also, please consider checking the head for cracks.  

~ Orangeman
orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2022 at 2:15pm
Daelric:  So in the second video upon shutdown, the antifreeze rises in the radiator - the color is pink-red.  

Is your ethylene glycol (antifreeze) red?  Does your diesel fuel have a red additive to it.  Am thinking the head gasket has lost contact somewhere on its mating surfaces. 

At a minimum I would pull the head, order a new gasket, check head and deck surface with a straightedge and have the head pressure checked.  

~ Orangeman
Daelric View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daelric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2022 at 5:27pm
Hi Orangeman,

So I did the test in your link and after shaking the bottle, the foam/bubbles stayed for a lot longer than a minute. Here's a pic taken after 10 minutes of it sitting:

You asked if the antifreeze is reddish in colour... yes it is, straight from the bottle. It was a concentrated diesel-specific antifreeze that I diluted to about 50/50.

After doing this test with a bit of the coolant from the system, I did the test again on some leftover pure antifreeze I had left. I mixed it 50/50 with the same water I used for the mix I did for refilling the system, and that test came up with no bubbles after less than a minute.

So at this point, based on the link you provided, it would appear there's something contaminating my coolant after it's put in the machine.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2022 at 5:34pm
There is a test kit that will show you if combustion gasses are present in the coolant.

Here's NAPA's version, you stick the pointy thing into the top of radiator, fill to line with the fluid, start engine, wait.  if the fluid changes color, you have a leak somewhere, either block, head or head gasket.

Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Daelric View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daelric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2022 at 7:36pm
Alright gents, I could still use your help.

I ordered one of those block test kits and waited patiently for it to come in and it finally did today. I did up the old girl and she still wants to foam up a fair amount, even though the temps are still quite low.

I did the test and to my great surprise, it stayed blue. I thought for sure it wound be a positive test for combustion gasses.

I'm at a bit of a loss at this point. The coolant shake test Orangeman linked to certainly seems to indicate coolant contamination of some sort, but if its not combustion gasses and there's no water /coolant in the oil, what could it be? Is it possible for a head gasket to be blown and allow oil into the coolant with no combustion gas present?
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2022 at 5:00am
Hmm, a real poser, there.  Are you sure the kit you used states that it works on diesels?  Also, is there a chance that there is oil getting into the coolant?  A little oil can do wierd stuff to a radiator, too. I'll ask around...Confused
Daelric View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daelric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2022 at 6:26am
Yea it works for diesels, says right in the instructions that while it should turn yellow for gasoline engines if there's a leak, for diesels it might be more of a greenish colour.
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2022 at 6:59am
My portable air compressor was doing just as you experience. It has a Continental Motors B427 engine. I changed the head gasket first making no difference. Ultimately the water pump impeller was bad and a replacement water pump assembly cured the issue.

I could run about 20 minutes and the foaming would erupt from the cooling system and take hours to defoam after engine shut down. Only after the coolant level became low did the temperature climb.  
pinball View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2022 at 7:13am
i would agree it might be your water pump. i had to replace mine. 190 is the same
Daelric View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daelric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2022 at 7:16am
Originally posted by Codger Codger wrote:

I could run about 20 minutes and the foaming would erupt from the cooling system and take hours to defoam after engine shut down. Only after the coolant level became low did the temperature climb.  

This certainly sounds extremely similar to my situation. Is there any kind of test or check I can do to ensure that it's the water pump before forking over the dough to buy a replacement? I'd hate to buy a new one only to find out that it wasn't the problem.
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2022 at 7:23am
A gasket is inexpensive. Pull your pump from the engine and get a look. Probably not an expensive part to replace or rebuild. I've had several pumps rebuilt by a company going by waterpumpkits.com and they've all been reasonable in price and have replacement castings for just about anything out there I've found.
pinball View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2022 at 12:00pm
i do believe i would remove the thermostat.  it really sounds like you have a flow problem.  at temp your working in i wouldn't think it would get over 125 degrees .  on my Allis when using it under 40 degrees doesn't hardly get warm. 
Daelric View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daelric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2022 at 1:02pm
Ok, I've pulled the water pump off but I'm not 100% sure what I'm looking for here.

As you can see there is a fair amount of corrosion. When I bought this machine I knew it had been sitting for a while so I made a point of doing a fluid change on her, drained and refilled everything with fresh stuff, including the coolant. What I DID NOT do in this initial servicing, though, is completely flush the coolant system... I just drained it via the radiator petcock and added new fluids.

When this foaming issue started out of the blue, I drained the system again more than once and flushed out with water, then I TWICE ran a coolant system clean/flushing solution through before adding the new orange coolant that still foamed up as per the photo I posted earlier in this thread.

SO after looking at this water pump I can see that unfortunately there is still a lot of corrosion in there and I'm not sure what to do about it. Perhaps this foaming issue is residual corrosion/coolant system flush solution in the system because I haven't gotten all the junk out yet?

As for the pump itself, despite the corrosion it look okay? I mean the impellers all look fine to my eye, none appear to be chipped or broken. I do wonder about the gap between the impeller blades and the surface of the pump body though... is it supposed to be that wide?

Do you folks think I should still go ahead with getting a new water pump, of do you think this one still appears serviceable as long as I get the corrosion under control? Any tips for getting as much of the corrosion out of the remainder of the system as I can? If the water pump looks like this, I worry about what the coolant channels in the engine block are like.

Thanks as always for any advice!
Daelric View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daelric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2022 at 1:16pm
I should make a point of revisiting the circumstances under which this foaming over problem developed.

I have used the machine for a number of fairly heavy-duty tasks (stump pulling and creek bank digging) since I bought it, so it's not like this was a problem that was there when I bought it and I just hadn't discovered it yet... this is a problem that came up out of seemingly nowhere when I was trying to move some snow in very cold weather (-25°C/-13°F).

Since then, every time I start up the machine, it will foam up out the radiator cap after a few minutes, even in warmer weather (above freezing). This is including after completely draining/flushing the system with water, doing a run of coolant system cleaner/flush solution, draining and flushing with water again, doing ANOTHER cleaner/flush, draining and flushing with water, and then adding a 50/50 mix of fresh orange diesel-rated antifreeze.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2022 at 2:08pm
The water pump shaft seal COULD be drawing in air and causing your problem. If there is no overheating (a working temp gauge ??) I might just replace the pump and get on with life. If you'd tie a gallon milk jug on the radiator overflow tube and actually catch what is being vomited out, maybe you are simply overfilling the radiator  !!!   You cannot have the radiator clear full when cold....must be down at least 2 quarts from full, maybe 3 quarts.  If the vomiting never stops and you get to a gallon or even more, you must be getting compression into the coolant when working the engine. There are test strips to verify this scenario.
Daelric View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daelric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2022 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

If the vomiting never stops and you get to a gallon or even more, you must be getting compression into the coolant when working the engine. There are test strips to verify this scenario.

If I was getting compression in the coolant, wouldn't this have been identified by the test I did with the block leak test kit? This is the one that you hook up to the radiator neck and draw air up from the radiator to bubble through a blue fluid... if the blue changes colour that's supposed to be the indicator of compression gasses in the coolant. Do these "test strips" you mention test something different, or something that the test I did wouldn't cover?
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2022 at 6:07pm
I was wondering about the water pump, myself.  It would seem to me that if it would suck air from somewnere, wouldn't it also leak coolant at the same site?  Anyway, at minimum, now that you have the pump out, get a rebuild kit, clean it up get the corrosion and crud off of the pump vanes, and re-assrmble.  It might also be possible that you didn't get all of the flush stuf out, especially if there may be crud deposits that hold some fluid in...

Good luck, and let us know!Wink
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2022 at 6:16pm
I think your test method is a valid one if it claims to be for combustion gases.  Air in the coolant can only come from the water pump shaft seal (it may not leak coolant by the way) or a compression/combustion leak. No where else.
Daelric View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daelric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2022 at 9:11pm
Alright I decided to order a new water pump. Hopefully it wont take too long to get here. In the meantime, I'm going to flush out the system with more of that coolant system flush/cleaner stuff and then give it a REALLY thorough rinse out with fresh water.

I'll be in touch to let you all know how it turns out.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2022 at 6:12am
You know, a couple of years ago, I had a Cat C-9 engine on a dredge pump that we wound up having the radiator core replaced first (blocked tubes with rust and then the engine replaced with a long block (block/cyl head passages also plugged). Radiator was not getting coolant flow thru it properly. Upper hose was always COLD.  Lower hose became hot from the hot water in the block backing up. Took about 30 minutes at full throttle on a summer day. to get to 200F. This was all due to not using antifreeze in the summer and draining it for the winter months. Rust everywhere.  Using a heat gun, the lower parts of the block (where coolant was) would get warmer and warmer, while the cylinder head seemed to gain little to no heat at all. Anyway, after as much diagnosis as could be done WITHOUT a tear down of the engine (that had 9,000 hrs on it) the reman long-block was installed and everything was fine after that, BUT the radiator was repaired first as it was blocked badly internally. My theory was the small vertical passages thru the blocks upper deck and the bottom of the cylinder head were so plugged, the coolant wasn't able to flow correctly.  The "norm" for the A-C 2000 series engine is this-----in cold weather, like 30 degrees F and less, you have a hard time for them to ever get to 180 degrees, even when working them and even with the radiator covered with cardboard. They do NOT run warm when ambient temps are cool. They just don't.

Edited by DrAllis - 12 Feb 2022 at 7:20am
Daelric View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daelric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2022 at 9:01am
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

You know, a couple of years ago, I had a Cat C-9 engine on a dredge pump that we wound up having the radiator core replaced first (blocked tubes with rust and then the engine replaced with a long block (block/cyl head passages also plugged). Radiator was not getting coolant flow thru it properly. Upper hose was always COLD.  Lower hose became hot from the hot water in the block backing up. Took about 30 minutes at full throttle on a summer day. to get to 200F. This was all due to not using antifreeze in the summer and draining it for the winter months. Rust everywhere.  Using a heat gun, the lower parts of the block (where coolant was) would get warmer and warmer, while the cylinder head seemed to gain little to no heat at all. Anyway, after as much diagnosis as could be done WITHOUT a tear down of the engine (that had 9,000 hrs on it) the reman long-block was installed and everything was fine after that, BUT the radiator was repaired first as it was blocked badly internally. My theory was the small vertical passages thru the blocks upper deck and the bottom of the cylinder head were so plugged, the coolant wasn't able to flow correctly.  The "norm" for the A-C 2000 series engine is this-----in cold weather, like 30 degrees F and less, you have a hard time for them to ever get to 180 degrees, even when working them and even with the radiator covered with cardboard. They do NOT run warm when ambient temps are cool. They just don't.

The thing that I don't understand, is that if all this is the case, then what does it even matter if the system isn't working 100% "properly"? Because while what you write sounds bad (blockages in radiator etc), if it's not running up into damaging temps, then what's the harm?
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2022 at 10:26am
My Cat engine was overheating, given enough time. I could not "load" the engine, only run it wide-open throttle., which I'd guess was only about 10% power output. The real "load" was when the suction hose was dropped into the pond and water was sucked up thru the dredge pump. Then, it would have been at 80% or more load. Do you have a working temp gauge inserted into the thermostat housing ??  I just watched the videos. For sure it is overfull of coolant, as you cannot have it that full when cold because it will expand and vomit out what it cannot contain when hot.  A temp gun pointed at various places should give a clue as to what is going on (if anything). With thermostat open (engine wide open throttle) the upper hose should be close to the same temp as the OEM temp gauge reading. The lower hose should always be colder than the upper hose and in winter months maybe even a bit cool. Don't fill the rad so full.

Edited by DrAllis - 12 Feb 2022 at 7:25pm
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2022 at 2:18pm
I use both of these products and they work well. Restore is good if the cooling system has aluminum parts as it has high alkaline content. Restore Plus if no aluminum as it is caustic/acidic in nature which will deteriorate aluminum.

I'm certain the low lying coolant passages in your cylinder block and head are pretty "crusty" from lack of cooling system maintenance as they usually are when iron parts are rusty such as your water pump impeller shows.

In these cases I typically rig up a Bell&Gosset boiler circulation pump and backflush a strong, hot caustic soda solution through the engine for an hour or so. This allows the engine to be at least 150 degrees, (F) and the sludge and rust buildup readily release. I tap this solution from my heated aqueous parts washer. 

I use a guy whom will "rod" a radiator clean if they are plugged and as mentioned I'd wager you have a lot of buildup including the radiator core.
Daelric View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Daelric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2022 at 9:53pm
Good news gents!

While waiting for the new water pump I ordered to come in, I disconnected ever part I could to do with the cooling system (except for the radiator) and I gave everything a thorough cleaning with CLR. I even went to the point of feeding a rope through the pipes and hoses, tying the end to a kitchen scrubby, and pulling it through. A lot of rusty crud came out that way but I got them to the point that water ran clear through everything.

Then the pump came in, so I put it on and then put the system all back together, refilled it with coolant, and to make a long story short, I just got in from a good 4 hours or so of heavy digging, with ZERO foam or anything coming out of the rad cap.

Thanks again for all the tips and help!
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2022 at 5:01am
Thank you for reporting back with your findings, and status or your repairs. It is quite annoying to attempt to help a party with troubles, and they don't follow up with closure; only to show up with the next problem.

From the looks of your water pump photos I assumed the cooling system status matched pretty closely. Seen that far too many times through the years to not consider the total package when looking at repairs.

You done well and I'm happy you have had good results.   
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic