This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

full cans of Agco paint, clogged!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Feldpausch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: full cans of Agco paint, clogged!
    Posted: 21 Jul 2022 at 10:44am
I have some Agco paint in rattle cans from 3-4 years ago that are full of paint, but won't spray after extensive shaking. I replaced the nozzles to no avail. Is there any way to (safely) get the paint out of the can, or get the cans to spray? They are "brand new".
Sponsored Links

KMAG View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KMAG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2022 at 10:54am
Following -same problem with Rustoleum cans I stocked up 2yrs ago.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2022 at 11:00am
Have to use a commercial paint shaker prior to getting here with these, sorry but are done in with paint solids blocking the riser tube.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2022 at 11:28am
Just read this in the helpful hints in one farm magazine or the other, blow air into a can from your compressor. With top removed from stem push in and then blow air in from your blower nozzle.

I tried it on one can of Power Blaster. Real hard to get much in but got enough to wet what ever I was playing with.

But paint might be different deal, and I cannot remember if the guy said anything about paint or if only panther pee in a spray can.

Being cheap I have punched holes in spray cans to get the last out and dribble it on rusted bolts.  With not much left and no gas left nothing comes spraying out. But never punched a full one. 
nella(Pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nella(Pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2022 at 12:35pm
I put the spray can upside down in a vice and take an sharp all and hammer the all through the bottom of the spray can, and leave the all in the hole in the can until all the pressure is released, then I make a second hole on the other side to vent the can so i can pour out the paint from the blocked can.
Scott B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2022 at 2:27pm
....and that chit ain't cheap either!  Good luck.
D17 Series 1
Allis B- 1939
Allis B- 1945
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2022 at 8:11pm
Should be able to use a small wire and clean tube out. Be careful, it is under pressure. Tracy
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2022 at 8:15pm
don't puncture a full can or you'll wear it! along with it blowing out everywhere else. i have also had that problem, and shook it alot with it upside down, then set it down in the upside down position overnight. shook it again the same way in the morning, sometimes it works and sometimes it don't. if it don't, i just figgered I wasted my money and it goes in the trash. i've never tried the air hose way, maybe that would work.  
nella(Pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nella(Pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2022 at 8:51pm
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

don't puncture a full can or you'll wear it! along with it blowing out everywhere else. i have also had that problem, and shook it alot with it upside down, then set it down in the upside down position overnight. shook it again the same way in the morning, sometimes it works and sometimes it don't. if it don't, i just figgered I wasted my money and it goes in the trash. i've never tried the air hose way, maybe that would work.  

Shameless, it dose work if you do it correctly. I have done it with paint, breakclean and insulating foam cans when they don't work.
Wispitfiremike View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wispitfiremike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2022 at 8:56pm
I carry touch up paint on work van for parts and it keeps the nozzles clear if you flip them over and spray upside down for second or two to clear the paint before putting them away. i am not sure I would punch a hole in a full can there is a fair amount of pressure in there.
Dirt Farmer View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dirt Farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2022 at 12:44am
Put a long saw blade in a sawzall and tape the spray can to the blade, press trigger and let the shaking begin, that may loosen things up inside the can.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2022 at 2:54am
Dang....Farmer....that's a heck of a good idea!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic