This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

new light in dining room

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new light in dining room
    Posted: 19 Jul 2022 at 3:27am

Well,,the decision was made by the boys on the flooring material for the dining room and the den,,,and since they have agreed to PAY,,,,,,I'm all for the porcelin tile we are installing,,,,,,WinkWink
 My neighbor Friend who is a good Handy Man that "trades" work with me is doing the laying and I'm doing the cutting for him. It is really looking pretty and "different" ,,,,,,
 Anyway, the dining room has never had an overhead light, don't have an idee WHY NOT, but it don't,,,,,? I was in a resturant where they had "added" some extra ceiling lights by installing what looks like some plastic strips bout 3/4" wide and 1/4" high and run from the new lights along the ceiling and down the walls and on to the existing switches on the walls. I'm assuming this is legal or they would not have installed in a public place,,,,?? I was in Home Depot yesterday and did not have any luck with two of the dudes I managed to flag down to ask em,,,they just got the "Deer in The Headlights" look,,,,,
 Anybody know what that stuff is called,,,??
Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2022 at 3:54am
Called surface conduit
Still sold here at electrical shops and the big box stores, a lot of it you have to be careful of as is Low voltage some even DC.

See it used in older structures where impractical or impossible without major damage conversion to run another circuit.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2022 at 4:37am
Also called wiremold (which I believe is the company name).

I recently used some of the plastic (PVC) stuff with tape on the back to put a ceiling light in a closet. You really shouldn't use Romex inside. I used 14 gauge THHN. It made the job very easy.

Edited by WF owner - 19 Jul 2022 at 4:44am
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2022 at 6:45am
I was in a restaurant in Italy with a very effective overhead light system.  220 V in Europe of course.  Had a live, bare, wire running just off from the wall.  A string of lights with basically alligator clips on each end attached to the two wires.  Handy, you could rearrange the tables if you want, and adjust the lights to still be right over them!  

Dang, that food was AWESOME though!
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2022 at 6:52am
Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

...  220 V in Europe of course.  Had a live, bare, wire running just off from the wall.  ...

I bet people kept their hands off it !
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2022 at 7:35am
Yeah, without even a warning sign!
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2022 at 8:17am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRducG5V4Uc

how it works and how to install....

Edited by steve(ill) - 19 Jul 2022 at 8:18am
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2022 at 8:27am
Joe, is there a way to get to the attic? When the weather cools off, I would find a way to run a wire from the wall to a spot where you want the ceiling light behind the wall/ceiling.
If not a way to get between the walls, I would rather run surface conduit outside and up on into the attic, than have inside surface conduit. But that’s me.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2022 at 1:11am
Now....i'ffin it was me...no...i better not tell you...cuz you'd do it!
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2022 at 2:31am
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

Now....i'ffin it was me...no...i better not tell you...cuz you'd do it!

NO, NO, and I ain't gonna just nail the romex to the ceiling,,,!!  Thas how they do it in N,,,,UMmmmm,,,never mind,,,!!!LOLLOL
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2022 at 8:17pm
you could gits you one of them construction light strings and hang in there, would have a light every 10 ft. lol
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2022 at 3:05am
HEY JOE!!!! I just thunks of a light you could gits! one of them wobble lights, they is rechargable and VERY bright, and when you stub your toes on it, it won't fall over! I'm think'in of ya Buddy!
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2022 at 8:36am
or add a little CLASS to the room ?

Like them all, but love the "B"s.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2022 at 4:31pm

What would a fellar do without all these great friends,,,,??ClapClap

That hanging monkey might just do the trick,,,,but would be a sure fire conversation starter,,,,,,LOL
 AND,,Shameless,,,,I ain't nailing that romex to the ceiling,,,,!!!
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2022 at 5:13pm
I'm thinking the 'new owners' should decide what light THEY want and THEN install it ! Nothing is more fun than belly crawling  in a 150* attic !!!
Time to spread the 'joy' around !!
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2022 at 6:51am
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

I'm thinking the 'new owners' should decide what light THEY want and THEN install it ! Nothing is more fun than belly crawling  in a 150* attic !!!
Time to spread the 'joy' around !!

Well,,Jay,,,I'm just about to THAT point,,,you just cannot seem to motivate some people,,,even tho they is your kids,,,,,Wink What I done is hang one of those lights with the round aluminum thingie around the bulb  and that sob really lit the whole room so "they" could see what they be missing,,,but didn't phase em a bit,,,,SOOOoo,,,here's the way I "SEE IT",,,I been doing without that light for 35 or so years and if they ain't wanting to "change"  so be it,,,,Jeeeze, you reckon I must be gettin grouchy,,,,,,,??Wink
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2022 at 7:26am
I put a bunch of fluorescent lights in my garage after 30 years. Them new really bright ones. Turned them all on at once. I was shocked at what I was seeing. This place looks like hell. Went back down to one light. Deal with it another day.

desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2022 at 8:59am
Originally posted by fixer1958 fixer1958 wrote:

I put a bunch of fluorescent lights in my garage after 30 years. Them new really bright ones. Turned them all on at once. I was shocked at what I was seeing. This place looks like hell. Went back down to one light. Deal with it another day.

Dang It, Fixer,,,,I laughed on that one for a while,,,,LOLLOL
 I'm gonna have to remember that one as pretty SOON I'm gonna have to start cleaning all them "Trails" I got in the garage,,so I can find my way to Ole Red, as I decided to prioritize finishing it before anything else,,come hell or high water,,,and since it hardly ever rains around here,,,I best get after it,,hadn't I,,??LOL
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2022 at 11:47am
Shameless has the best ideas!!! Anything can be done - wife wanted a ceiling fan in a room , just nail a 2/4 inbetween the truess,, mount it up, no big deal - wiring same thing, can all be done  

Edited by DougG - 23 Jul 2022 at 11:47am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic